• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DC 2012 DTVs

WW sold better than the 1st GL movie and the 2nd GL movie sold Under the Red Hood numbers becauseof the live action movie, but WW didn't sell as fast as Superman/Batman/JL so thats the real reasoning behind it.

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors has not gone anywhere near Batman: Under the Red Hood's numbers. Batman: Under the Red Hood's numbers are close to 500,000 while Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors are less than 160,000.

Stay predictable WB

They have made Justice League Unlimited with many, many DC characters appearing, an anime style Teen Titans series, Plastic Man: Puddle Trouble, a Wonder Woman movie, Green Lantern: First Flight, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies with Captain Marvel, Power Girl, Captain Atom, Black Lightning, Major Force, Starfire and Hawkman appearing, Batman: The Brave and The Bold with many DC characters appearing, Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam with Tawky Tawny appearing, animated shorts starring the Spectre, Green Arrow and Black Canary, Jonah Hex. There's Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, Young Justice, a CGI Green Lantern: The Animated Series coming up. They've also made a CGI trailer for Bruce Timm and Conan O'Brien's creation The Flaming C.

Good announcements, but I would have liked something based off Flash: Born to Run and Green Arrow: Year One.

Bruce Timm said, "I guarantee you that if they get a Flash movie up and running we’ll be doing a Flash direct-to-video or maybe a series. So, every time one of those characters reaches a higher profile it makes it a lot more economically feasible to go down that path."
http://collider.com/batman-year-one-comic-con-bruce-timm-interview/104069/

Great...

They decide to split Miller's over-rated trash into 2 parts... but not The New Frontier or All Star Superman.

Let's hope the talent behind it is worth something so I can get excited about it.

If you don't like the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns comic book, then your not likely going to like the two-part film, since Bruce Timm says it will be very faithful to the source material.

Oh then it's just people being misquoting Andrea, sorry. :(

I'm relieved that she said they've only considered them and haven't actually cast Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. They were fine for Batman: The Animated Series, that's a very different version of the characters. Kevin Conroy's Batman voice sounds far too straight-forwardly noble, open, straight-laced, nicer. He doesn't sound morally ambiguous, creepy, menacing, gruff enough for Frank Miller's Batman in the Dark Knight Returns. Michael Ironside really does, as he already proved in the "Legends of the Dark Knight" episode of Batman: The Animated Series, Frank Miller himself was even impressed and said he was spot on.
[YT]QoZLPwRCjcQ[/YT]
And Mark Hamill's Joker voice is far too light and flamboyantly clownish, Paul Lynde-eque. Frank Miller's Joker is cold and purely evil, no nonsense. John DiMaggio's Joker voice sounds much closer to the personality of Frank Miller's sadistic, disturbing version of the Joker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qOdggdLPLM
Frank Miller explained, "The Joker doesn't smile - not for a while anyway. And he's anything but a prankster - he's a purely evil figure."
"As I see it, there shouldn’t be anything funny about him. His name should be irony. The thing is, the Joker is a sociopath and psychopath, but I would rather play up his evilness rather than his craziness. The Joker that I’ve always tried to portray, he’s satanic. He’s not laughing all the time." - Frank Miller.
http://imbatman.tribe.net/thread/b556b4a6-e096-4e89-8651-3952af150226

I'm sorry, but if they can make Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, they can CERTAINLY make The Killing Joke. It better ****ing happen.

According to Bruce Timm, The Killing Joke has been discussed. It's not currently on the production schedule, but it hasn't been ruled out.
http://bluray.ign.com/articles/118/1183821p1.html

Last edited:
Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors has not gone anywhere near Batman: Under the Red Hood's numbers. Batman: Under the Red Hood's numbers are close to 500,000 while Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors are less than 160,000.

160,000 can't be possible when it sold 152,750 DVDs and 181,350 BR making it 334,100 and that was it's initial release numbers, surely that number has grown closer and closer to the 500,000 number that UTRH has accomplished over the year.

@Man-Bat: Yeah Michael Ironside or Ron Perlman got a voice with the sadism that Miller's Batman seems to have, but alas they might get the fan favourites to hope fans will do a day 1 purchase. Only time will tell, but Conroy could have done Year One but declined, so it's a wait and see.

I wish the animation style of these things are made more stylistic and not like some saturday morning cartoon...

WW did good in sales for her first solo movie. Considering SM/BM/JL all have had their own series or movies it is to be expected for them to sell very good. You cant have the same expectations for something thats last solo outing was 20 years ago.

Im so tired of these DTVs at this moment. When DC/WB decide to stop shoving Batman/Superman up our throats, ill be happy. Of course it probably wont happen.

Down our throats. Can't shove something up your throat...unless your being hung upside down for some odd reason.

If they're going to be doing The Dark Knight Returns the way they're doing Batman: Year One (i.e. an absurdly faithful adaptation of Frank Miller's story), they shouldn't get Kevin Conroy to do the voice. Since Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns are in the same continuity, they should make Batman sound like a more refined and older version Ben McKenzie's Batman.
No one would care this much. Conroy is a little past his prime now, so I think he works perfectly. Ironside's is great for a short, but Conroy has better range between Bruce and Batman, and I feel he's a better voice actor for the role.

Frank Miller explained, "The Joker doesn't smile - not for a while anyway. And he's anything but a prankster - he's a purely evil figure."
"As I see it, there shouldn’t be anything funny about him. His name should be irony. The thing is, the Joker is a sociopath and psychopath, but I would rather play up his evilness rather than his craziness. The Joker that I’ve always tried to portray, he’s satanic. He’s not laughing all the time." - Frank Miller.
It's quotes like these that make me realize that Frank Miller is an idiot.

Half the time I expect him to say...
"Wait women have jobs OTHER than ****es, and not everyone is a *****ebag....:huh:"

Miller has written plenty of women with different jobs and not just being ****es, the reason you see alot of ****es is because they're associated with criminal gangs, you might aswell claim Miller loves drugs because hey, drug sales are controlled by mobsters.

If you got to point a writer with Women portrayed badly, check out Alan Moore who seemingly can't write a story withoutha woman getting raped.

Looks like DC's animation is not that different than DC's live-action movies.

What, focusing almost 100% on their top 2 characters only? Sure. But DC Animation by far surpasses Marvel's.

What, focusing almost 100% on their top 2 characters only? Sure. But DC Animation by far surpasses Marvel's.

WB Animation has had a really good history and experience behind them so DC obviously benefited from that. However, now that Marvel is part of Disney & Pixar, both powerhouses when it comes to animation, I think in the long run Marvel Animation will slowly catch up with DC's. So far, both Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the 3 Anime series (Blade Anime is coming soon) are very good, and hopefully it will only get better.

The Joker as a more serious and coldly calculating evil killer who isn't laughing all the time goes back to the original Batman comics by Batman creators Bill Finger and Bob Kane. Frank Miller was actually going back to the Joker as Bill Finger and Bob Kane created the character. And the Joker actually had a sculpture of Satan in his home, as seen in Batman #4 (1940) "The Case of the Joker's Crime Circus".
batman411recutagainagai.jpg

As Bob Kane explained in Comics Interview #31 (1986), "Bill showed me a photograph of Conrad Veidt, the German actor. Veidt was in the movie called The Man who Laughs, and that's where we got the Joker from, it was a photograph. This photograph of Veidt was the spitting image of the Joker. Not the caricature you see today that looks like a buffoon, like a clown -- that's not how we created the Joker. He was more serious when we created him and he didn't always laugh."
1311732283cb90b3528ac5c.jpg
1311731319245856d902693.jpg

Half the time I expect him to say...
"Wait women have jobs OTHER than ****es, and not everyone is a *****ebag....:huh:"
Something Frank Miller has actually said is...
"If I allowed characters to express only my own attitudes and beliefs, my work would be pretty darn boring."

Last edited:
I'm really curious what you found idiotic about those statements. While not the most popular perception of the character, it is a perfectly valid interpretation and more of a callback to its inception than its modern counterparts.

@Man-Bat: Yeah Michael Ironside or Ron Perlman got a voice with the sadism that Miller's Batman seems to have, but alas they might get the fan favourites to hope fans will do a day 1 purchase.

Here is the actual quote: Andrea Romano was asked if she was considering using voice-acting mainstays Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill to reprise their roles as Batman and Joker for Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. "We always consider using Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill," she replied.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=33534
They likely have already casted Batman: The Dark Knight Returns but are keeping the actual cast a secret from the public for now, like they did with Batman: Year One.

Only time will tell, but Conroy could have done Year One but declined, so it's a wait and see.
Where is it reported that they wanted Kevin Conroy to voice the young Bruce Wayne/Batman in Batman: Year One but he declined? That looks like another rumor, rather than fact.

Last edited:
I'm still </3 about no more animated shorts. That was such a great idea. I was excited to hear they were going to do a Booster Gold short, and Lobo. But not anymore.

And a Green Arrow movie off Year One would be excellent. I hope they plan to do a Flash film soon. He's a pretty popular character, so I don't see why they don't make one.

They have made Justice League Unlimited with many, many DC characters appearing, an anime style Teen Titans series, Plastic Man: Puddle Trouble, a Wonder Woman movie, Green Lantern: First Flight, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies with Captain Marvel, Power Girl, Captain Atom, Black Lightning, Major Force, Starfire and Hawkman appearing, Batman: The Brave and The Bold with many DC characters appearing, Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam with Tawky Tawny appearing, animated shorts starring the Spectre, Green Arrow and Black Canary, Jonah Hex. There's Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, Young Justice, a CGI Green Lantern: The Animated Series coming up. They've also made a CGI trailer for Bruce Timm and Conan O'Brien's creation The Flaming C.

Are you seriously trying to compare a lead feature with a guest spot/cameo?

We got:
Superman
Batman
Justice League
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Supergirl (Apocolypse schmaopoclyse)
Young Justice (in the hope of replicating the success of Teen Titans)
Superman's Pal Captain Marvel and a few decent shorts.

The only surprising one out of those was Supergirl and even then they couldn't stomach putting her in the title or on the cover properly.

Are you seriously trying to compare a lead feature with a guest spot/cameo?

I was seriously listing various series and films and shorts with the unpredictable wide variety of DC characters that they've animated so far. For all those rather obscure DC characters with lesser selling comic book titles or currently no comic book titles at all, their guest appearances and shorts are better than nothing. As Bruce Timm said, "Again, it&#8217;s economics. I give all of the credit in the world to Warner Home Video for even taking a gamble on those things (the Showcase shorts) because they really had no reason to do so. Just putting them as an extra on a DVD doesn&#8217;t increase the sales of that DVD. It just doesn&#8217;t. Looking at all of the numbers, the math just doesn&#8217;t make any sense. So, the only way we can justify going back and making more of them is, if we put together a compilation with the new shorts on it, that has to make money because that would underwrite the cost of making the films. But, you know, people were not interested in that format in long form so, like I said, I&#8217;m really grateful that they even allowed us to make the shorts you&#8217;re talking about because they didn&#8217;t have to. I wish we could make more of them, but I understand."

We got:
Superman
Batman
Justice League
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Supergirl (Apocolypse schmaopoclyse)
Young Justice (in the hope of replicating the success of Teen Titans)
Superman's Pal Captain Marvel and a few decent shorts.
We've gotten more than you listed. There's even more than I listed. They've also made The Legion of Super Heroes series, they even made a Krypto the Superdog series. Plastic Man: Puddle Trouble was intended to be the pilot episode for a Plastic Man series on Cartoon Network but Cartoon Network decided not to pick up Plastic Man as a series and has never even aired the episode that was made. It's not easy for them to get films and series of those more obscure characters off the ground. As Bruce Timm explained, "With Green Lantern, with the (live-action) movie coming out, when that was announced that gave us the market cred to go ahead with our Green Lantern films (and Animated Series) so we&#8217;ll probably be doing more of those as well. I guarantee you that if they get a Flash movie up and running we&#8217;ll be doing a Flash direct-to-video or maybe a series. So, every time one of those characters reaches a higher profile it makes it a lot more economically feasible to go down that path."

The only surprising one out of those was Supergirl and even then they couldn't stomach putting her in the title or on the cover properly.
They wanted it to sell to more than the Supergirl fans. So they promoted it with more focus on Batman and Superman just because it makes economical sense. Those two are the better sellers. Supergirl has never sold on their level.

Last edited:
Where is it reported that they wanted Kevin Conroy to voice the young Bruce Wayne/Batman in Batman: Year One but he declined? That looks like another rumor, rather than fact.

Kevin Conroy confirmed on his twitter that he was approached to do Yr1. He couldnt due to scheduling difficulties, and ultimately they went in a different direction, i.e younger actor.

Kevin Conroy confirmed on his twitter that he was approached to do Yr1. He couldnt due to scheduling difficulties, and ultimately they went in a different direction, i.e younger actor.

Thank you very much for giving the source so I could find the actual quote.
Kevin Conroy said on twitter on July 8th, "Ok. I'm going to set the record straight on this! I was approached about voicing Batman in Year On. But had other Obligations so couldn't do It and they wanted to go in another direction!"
http://twitter.com/#!/TheKevinConroy

Last edited:
They wanted it to sell to more than the Supergirl fans. So they promoted it with more focus on Batman and Superman just because it makes economical sense. Those two are the better sellers. Supergirl has never sold on their level.

They didn't want to sell it to Supergirl fans. If they did she would have been Supergirl on the cover and actually called it by its proper name, Superman/Batman: Supergirl. If they really wanted to expand their audience base they could have had Wonder Woman on the cover too but they didn't because apparently women on a cover negates the appeal of Superman or Batman

As for those other series. Legion almost seems like another era of WB/DC TV. The Warner Premiere releases closed the door on that in my mind. I'm aware that it could just be me and my aging. It seems like we are in a new phase now. Would we ever get a Legion tv show today? Poor Teen Titans had a 5 season run on TV and a direct to DVD movie but Warner Premiere wouldn't let 'The Judas Contract' out the door.

They didn't want to sell it to Supergirl fans. If they did she would have been Supergirl on the cover and actually called it by its proper name, Superman/Batman: Supergirl. If they really wanted to expand their audience base they could have had Wonder Woman on the cover too but they didn't because apparently women on a cover negates the appeal of Superman or Batman

They obviously weren't focused on marketing it with it catered to the Supergirl fanbase. I agree that Supergirl on the title and on the cover in costume along with Wonder Woman would have been wiser and could have helped expand their audience base for that film. Justice League: The New Frontier wisely included many heroes on the cover.

As for those other series. Legion almost seems like another era of WB/DC TV. The Warner Premiere releases closed the door on that in my mind. I'm aware that it could just be me and my aging. It seems like we are in a new phase now. Would we ever get a Legion tv show today? Poor Teen Titans had a 5 season run on TV and a direct to DVD movie but Warner Premiere wouldn't let 'The Judas Contract' out the door.

I'd like to see them make The New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract into another faithful film adaption with animation based on the original George Perez art. Maybe the success of Young Justice will encourage them to revive the project.

WW sold better than the 1st GL movie and the 2nd GL movie sold Under the Red Hood numbers becauseof the live action movie, but WW didn't sell as fast as Superman/Batman/JL so thats the real reasoning behind it.

I actually surprised Wb didn't give WW an animated series using the same art style of the movie following the movie. I think this is something WW needs. Her own animated series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"