• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

Agreed! Call me old-school or whatever, but I've always loved the Superman/Lois/Clark love-triangle, and also the banter and rivalry between Clark and Lois.

But most people seem to like the fact that Lois knows that Clark and Superman are the same person in MOS. As you said, for realism.

Well I don't think it's for realism. I think it's for a different story. The relationship story can still be great without the triangle. I'm glad they went a different route because it's tough to watch a story when you know how it ends.

Flaccid and uninspired with regard to the writing(especially the vapid dialogue), and just...bland as far as the performance goes. A performance won't resonate with me if the character is little more than an ill-conceived plot device that occasionally mutters trite, banal lines.

Adams is one Hell of an actress, but like Cavill, she wasn't given much to work with. In fact, Crowe's Jor-El was probably the most effectively portrayed character, from both writing and acting, but even then, he was a hologram for most of the movie...a hologram that upstaged every character he shared screen time with. Part of it boils down to priorities, and if the screenwriter can get them together next time around, then the performances may not suffer as a result.

Agreed! Call me old-school or whatever, but I've always loved the Superman/Lois/Clark love-triangle, and also the banter and rivalry between Clark and Lois.

But most people seem to like the fact that Lois knows that Clark and Superman are the same person in MOS. As you said, for realism.

Are you not aware Lois has found out on numerous occasions in her 75 years? They were married in the golden age and engaged then married over decade and half till the reboot in 2011. You seem to think the triangle goes away once Lois knows the secret.
It doesn't she and Clark have to keep the pretense that Clark and Superman aren't one of the same. Comics after Lois finds out have played to that. So that means Lois can't act the same way she does with both persona's in public. In private well that's another matter.:woot:

The final scene set up everything you're familiar with and hopefully Goyer has included a lot of Daily Planet/ Reporting scenes where you can see both of them in familiar territory.

Last edited:
The thing is,it was a mistake to completely cut out her rivalry with Clark at the planet.We've just whisked by the whole courtship phase and landed at the wedding.So we won't get to see Lois get snarky with Clark unless it's just a lame attempt to throw suspicion off him.

Are you talking about in MOS? There was no rivalry because Clark wasn't a reporter or workin at the Planet. The few media interpretations I have seen the rivalry between them is not prevalent; it is dealt with minimally and then they become partners and fall in love.

I personally enjoyed Amy's portrayal of Lois in MOS. To me it felt like a natural progression in character and their relationship going from wanting to get the story, having the first meeting with Clark and realising who he is and why he does what he does to helping him save the day and developing feelings towards him that wll hopefully carry on into Supes/Bats with them both now working at the Planet alongside eachother. I also liked the idea of her knowing his true identity and how that will play out in the follow up movie which could make for some fun scenes of journalism and banter betwen the two as they could help build on Clark's disguise/hero side together to help him become the Superman we all know he can become in the future films.

Yeah,the triangle was a cool staple of the Superman mythos.

I think another reason for the change was the PC fear of Lois' role being relegated to "being saved" in every film.If she's seen as his "partner" and in on the joke,it relieves some of those concerns.

I think the way they went was fresh, we've seen the love triangle done to death it was time for a new spin.

Well I don't think it's for realism. I think it's for a different story. The relationship story can still be great without the triangle. I'm glad they went a different route because it's tough to watch a story when you know how it ends.
I think the way they went was fresh, we've seen the love triangle done to death it was time for a new spin.

This applies to every superhero.

We've seen Krypton so many times, and we know it explodes. Why don't we make Krypton survive and Lex Luthor being from there for the sake of make things different and new?

Oh yeah, they tried that and was universally panned.

This applies to every superhero.

We've seen Krypton so many times, and we know it explodes. Why don't we make Krypton survive and Lex Luthor being from there for the sake of make things different and new?

Oh yeah, they tried that and was universally panned.

That's chalk and cheese though. Krypton blowing up is essential to the story. Lois finding out before doesn't make a massive difference because as always Lois eventually finds out and this way made her look like she wasn't stupid. I think it was much better that she found out. Some stuff can be changed and others can't, the love triangle has been done to death and Superman needed (for me) a reinvention with a few aspects and this was definitely one of them.

I love her in the role
And I love the way her character was written

That's chalk and cheese though. Krypton blowing up is essential to the story. Lois finding out before doesn't make a massive difference because as always Lois eventually finds out and this way made her look like she wasn't stupid. I think it was much better that she found out. Some stuff can be changed and others can't, the love triangle has been done to death and Superman needed (for me) a reinvention with a few aspects and this was definitely one of them.

No, Krypton exploding is not essential. Kal-El could have been sent to earth to save him from Zod killing him only and the basic story keeps being the same. And Krypton exploding has been done to death, so we should change that.

Krypton goes boom. I thought that was a universally accepted idea.

No, Krypton exploding is not essential. Kal-El could have been sent to earth to save him from Zod killing him only and the basic story keeps being the same. And Krypton exploding has been done to death, so we should change that.

That doesn't work because then he can think about going back. Krypton HAS to explode.

Lois knowing Clarks secret beforehand actually makes sense.

Stop been acting like a child seriously.

Last edited:
Krypton goes boom. I thought that was a universally accepted idea.

I thought Lois not knowing Clark was Superman was a universally accepted idea.

That doesn't work because then he can think about going back. Krypton HAS to explode.

Oh, we can make a reason why he can't, worry not.

How so?

I mean, it obviously can be done. But how does that make sense per se.

Because yes, Lois and Clark work together, so how come she doesn't notice they look alike. But then again, it's the same with the whole Daily Planet staff. What's going to be the explanation for the rest?

What do you man? Like trying to change Superman myth for the sake of it?

Because yes, Lois and Clark work together, so how come she doesn't notice they look alike. But then again, it's the same with the whole Daily Planet staff. What's going to be the explanation for the rest?

Clark at the Daily Planet is just another guy in the background, and clear shots of Superman's face are unavailable to the public.

Now that I think about that, it would be in Clark's best interests to surrender most major articles to Lois. He should write the lesser material, else he draw too much congratulatory attention to himself.

I'm sure Perry Black will figure it out in the sequel.

Secret identities don't mean much in the movies.

I thought Lois not knowing Clark was Superman was a universally accepted idea.

It's also universally accepted that she eventually finds out. She found out in MOS.

As for Krypton blowing up, it eliminates the issue of Superman going back, or a planet full of kryptonian taking over earth.

With Lois finding out eventually, MOS just sped us up to a relationship where they keep each other's secrets.

I think you should take your own advice.

You're being inconsistent. On the one hand, a change to the conventional mythos is 'new, fresh, modern, and rational', while another just can't possibly work under any circumstances. Maybe if you explained yourself outside of "it just makes sense while yours doesn't", you could get others to understand. You argue like the countless fans who put this movie on a pedestal, in that every creative decision Snyder made is infallible, yet any outside suggestions are ill-conceived, be they traditional, contemporary, or otherwise.

I think you should take your own advice.

You're being inconsistent. On the one hand, a change to the conventional mythos is 'new, fresh, modern, and rational', while another just can't possibly work under any circumstances. Maybe if you explained yourself outside of "it just makes sense while yours doesn't", you could get others to understand. You argue like the countless fans who put this movie on a pedestal, in that every creative decision Snyder made is infallible, yet any outside suggestions are ill-conceived, be they traditional, contemporary, or otherwise.

I'm not been inconsistent at all and I'm certainly not been snarky like the other poster.

My point us you can change certain aspects but others you can't. The secret identity triangle wouldn't work with todays audiences and its really not essential. It doesn't effect who the character is where certain things i.e. krypton not been destroyed would. Its like you can't take the S off his chest but you sure can remove the red underwear.

Just my opinion.

Also thanks for putting words in my mouth, where the hell did I say that ever decision Snyder made was infallible?

It's also universally accepted that she eventually finds out. She found out in MOS.

As for Krypton blowing up, it eliminates the issue of Superman going back, or a planet full of kryptonian taking over earth.

With Lois finding out eventually, MOS just sped us up to a relationship where they keep each other's secrets.

Yeah, it's like we all know Peter is a nerd but gets bitten by a spider and learns a moral lesson. So why don't we start with a Parker born with spider-powers and a strong moral to speed up to that point? Oh yeah, because that's losing one big and interesting part of who he is and how he came to be.

Maybe Luthor in jail with his master plan ruined from the start, before he meets Superman?

I'm not been inconsistent at all and I'm certainly not been snarky like the other poster.

My point us you can change certain aspects but others you can't. The secret identity triangle wouldn't work with todays audiences and its really not essential. It doesn't effect who the character is where certain things i.e. krypton not been destroyed would. Its like you can't take the S off his chest but you sure can remove the red underwear.

Just my opinion.

Also thanks for putting words in my mouth, where the hell did I say that ever decision Snyder made was infallible?

Did the secret identity not work with Spider-man in the Raimi's movies?

And no, Krypton being intact still works. Young Clark still doesn't know where he is from, why he has those powers, etc etc. Pa Kent still encourages him to be heroic (you know, the real Pa Kent) and he still becomes Superman. It doesn't affect who he is.

Mrs. Superman, needs to know

Are they going to get married already? Nah, too slow, we need to speed up things. Clark and Lois need to be married before they meet!

Did the secret identity not work with Spider-man in the Raimi's movies?

I think its debatble to be honest. She pretty much finds out in the first movie after she kisses him and its confirmed in the second so that for me shows its old hat. Also superhero genre has moved on from Raimi's films.

And no, Krypton being intact still works. Young Clark still doesn't know where he is from, why he has those powers, etc etc. Pa Kent still encourages him to be heroic (you know, the real Pa Kent) and he still becomes Superman. It doesn't affect who he is.

Agree to disagree, it takes something away if Krypton is still around. Superman works best as the last born of his race.

Look at the failed Flyby project they tried to go that route and it ultimately didn't work.

Lois knowing Clarks identity before did work, it also worked very well on Smallville. To be the disguise he needs a backup to help him. Lois is just that.

The secret I.D is a staple of the genre.There has been attempts (for various reasons) to minimize the use of it,but I fear it'll be lost for all intents and purposes for feature generations at the rate we're going.:csad:

Well no because the secret I'd still exists its just now Lois knows. Of course all CBMs suffer from the same reveals though. People seem to find out rather quickly, worst one by far was Spider-Man 2 where that whole train of people found out. But to let the love interest know can work for the better and I certianly think it did in the case of Man of Steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"