Not open for further replies.
ALyhvUq.jpg

Fj610nb.png

Ugad07a.jpg

The first one is The Demon.

The Shining (1979)

oZUS5cs.gif

xHy1aPh.jpg

That intro when from afar you see the little yellow Beetle VW going up through the roads to the mountains accorded with that haunting but beautiful doomsday music .. Damn.

Then quickly shifting to the claustrophobic office all in red when Jack Torrance introduces himself to the employer, and meanwhile the son is already talking to his imaginary finger friend. Just around eight minutes in here, and you already realise you're in for a cinematic master piece.

There's so much to comment on this film I'll stop right here. And of course I love this bloody flick lol.

Last edited:
SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (1982) starring George Hearn and Angela Lansbury

This was the Broadway play, filmed and then shown on TV on THE ENTERTAINMENT CHANNEL (the forerunner of the A&E Channel).

GREYHOUND (2020) starring Tom Hanks
71O-y+Q7LAL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Saw this when it came out on APPLE TV 3 years ago. I liked it, but didn't get a full entertainment out of it because it was at a relatives house during 4th of July with most everyone talking, eating, and kids running around. Just rewatched it on DVD today, and with my undivided attention....it is the best WWII movie since SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. I highly highly recommend it.

For those who don't know the plot.....ships taking supplies to England during WWII had to cross the North Atlantic in convoys for protection against the German submarines that hunted them. The movie follows one of these convoys. Hanks is the Captain of the lead "destroyer" battleship that is there to shoot at the subs. It's a very intense action packed movie about a group of ordinary humans fighting to survive to the end of the voyage.

Les Chinois à Paris / Chinese in Paris (1974)
The Belles of St. Trinian's (1954)
Lola (1981)
La vieille qui marchait dans la mer / The Old Lady Who Walked in the Sea (1991)
Armaguedon / Armageddon (1977)

Legion of Super-Heroes (2023)

As Krypton explodes, the teenage Kara is launched into space, arriving on Earth years later. Now she's been here for two months, and she's already in action as Supergirl. Unfortunately, she tends to cause a lot of 'collateral damage'. After needing to be rescued from Solomon Grundy by Superman and Batman, Superman takes her to the 31st century and suggests she train at the Legion Academy to get a handle on her powers. At the same time, back in the 21st century Batman deals with a break-in at STAR Labs. It soon becomes apparent that present and future are dangerously linked.

This is part-humorous 'coming-of-age' story/part-action, and it's carried by Supergirl (Batman and Superman only appear near the beginning and the end, Flash appears near the beginning). We get featured appearances by Mon-El, Brainiac 5, Timber Wolf, Shadow Lass, Triplicate Girl, Dawnstar, and others. Artwork/animation is on a par with other Tomorrowverse movies. Supergirl has a cute character design, and is engagingly acted by Meg Donnelly (who I could absolutely see as a live-action Kara). Jensen Ackles, Darren Criss, and Matt Bomer return as Batman, Superman, and Flash (btw, this movie contains this continuity's first onscreen pairing of Batman and Superman, and they interact really well).

It does have a slower feel to it than usual, you don't get that typical sense of urgency; the stakes are high, yet it feels 'insulated' - perhaps as a result of the future setting. But it's enjoyable. 7/10

White Men Can't Jump remake

While some parts were entertaining, it felt like a jumbled mess of shorts from longer episodes of an abandoned series put together to make a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"