What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misery (1990)
MV5BNzY0ODQ3MTMxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDkwNTg4NjE@._V1_.jpg

The Queen of Spades (1949)

British fantasy-horror (based on an Alexander Pushkin 1834 short story of the same name) starring Anton Walbrook, Edith Evans and Yvonne Mitchell, and directed by Thorold Dickinson. A young Countess sells her soul in return for the secret of winning at cards to save herself from financial ruin. Sixty years later a young, poor Russian army officer tries to pry the secret from the now ancient woman.

Great central performances from Anton Walbrook as the officer, and Edith Evans as the old Countess. Good supporting performance from Yvonne Mitchell as the Countess's companion, as well as from Ronald Howard (son of Leslie) and Anthony Dawson as fellow army officers. There's a nice revenge-from-beyond-the-grave, and the scene where Walbrook is visited by an unseen ghost is still pretty chilling. 7/10

Last edited:
Justice League vs Teen Titans (2016)

This was the movie that introduced the Teen Titans into the DCAMU (or 'New 52' movies). After disobeying orders from Batman during a battle between the Justice League and the Legion of Doom, Damian is sent to spend time with the Titans in the hope he will learn to become a 'team player'. Whilst he's away the League identifies an apparently supernatural entity that manifested toward the end of their fight with the Legion. A confrontation with a now possessed Superman establishes that the entity is after 'the girl' - Raven, of the Titans. The League visit Titans Tower, demanding that Raven return with them so they can keep her safe. However, they have inadvertently led the entity right to Raven, and as the entity possesses the League and tries to take Raven by force, a battle with the Titans ensues...

The tone runs from typical Titans humour, through more serious moments, to horror (think 'DC meets Schwarzenegger's End of Days'). The voice acting is good (a number of people online don't like Taissa Farmiga's Raven; although I prefer Tara Strong's version, Farmiga does well). Jon Bernthal does a nice job of voicing Raven's demonic father, Trigon. There is a problem with pacing, with some parts dragging whilst others feel rushed. And given the run-time is only 79 minutes, far too much of that is spent on the Titans 'bonding' at a carnival (and a looonng dance mat competition between Beast Boy and Damian). But overall it's pretty enjoyable, with good characterisations (this was the movie where I actually started to warm towards Damian). 7/10

yWPeQuD.jpg

My first exposure to Michael J. Fox was watching Back To The Future at the cinema, must've been in my last year in high school. That sitcom (Five In The Family? Family Ties? Whatever lol) in which he got his break through wasn't aired over here at the time, I watched some of that way later on reruns. Anyhows, BTTF was of course a blast as a cinematic experience in mid 80s, and MJF was unsurprisingly a huge part of it. Such a comedic talent at such a young age (of course none of us knew he was almost in his mid 20s then).

This documentary is part a filmed narrative from his (I believe two) books, and part an interview. Interesting to hear stuff like how he dropped out of high school, and moving from Canada to USA trying to make it as a young poor actor, and we get to see some rare stuff from his very early career. There's a great part when he goes through that ridicululous schedule when he did both the by then very established sitcom, AND filming BTTF at the same time. Totally insane.

His Parkinsons disease inevitably plays a huge part here, and I was completly shocked when we learn which year he actually was diagnosed (almost unbelievable if you were unaware), and how he kept this secret for such a long time. And as touching as all of that is, of course he's still got some humourous comments about this whole situation.

Great documentary IMO, both about learning about MJF:s career - but also just seeing and hearing his spontane reactions to questions in the interview. Both touching, funny and heartwarming. And at least from my humble impressions of him from over the decades, that's typically Michael J. Fox.

Last edited:
Christina Lindberg! There's an alternative title for this called They Call Her One Eye. This was quite a controversial flick back then, which was banned by censorship in Sweden, and released first after being cut down. Darryl Hannah's character in Kill Bill was based/loosely inspired from this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"