• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

No Way Home "With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility" - Tobey Maguire Returns As RaimiVerse Spider-Man

Caleb Williams claims Tobey was incredibly difficult to convince to return. Apparently, it took ALOT to get him onboard. I'm assuming that if true, Tobey played extreme hardball with Sony. He has been doing that since SM2 so i could believe that.

Caleb Williams thinks Tobey wouldn't come back again since it took so much getting him back for this one. But Id be surprised if Tobey turned down to appear again in a high-profile role like Spider-man.

Last edited:
maybe I'm wrong but did Tobey not really have many lines in this movie compared to Garfield?

Caleb Williams claims Tobey was incredibly difficult to convince to return. Apparently, it took ALOT to get him onboard. I'm assuming that if true, Tobey played extreme hardball with Sony. He has been doing that since SM2 so i could believe that.

Caleb Williams thinks Tobey wouldn't come back again since it took so much getting him back for this one. But Id be surprised if Tobey turned down to appear again in a high-profile role like Spider-man.
Yeah you can tell this was a relatively easy paycheck for him. I would be surprised if he got paid as much as Holland for much less screen time. The reunion doesn’t work if it was just Garfield, as great as he was.

I don’t see Tobey wanting to come back but if the money is right there is no way he says no. This is a money grab for Tobey. Get in get out. I had always assumed just from all the reports and stories that Tobey had held this thing up. Granted we will never know for sure. But yea, Tobey has always reportedly been a headache to work

Apparently, it took ALOT to get him onboard. I'm assuming that if true, Tobey played extreme hardball with Sony. He has been doing that since SM2 so i could believe that.

It must be the poker player in him. He wants to see how far he can take them for. :funny:

If Sony wants to make a live-action Miles Morales, I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the Raimi or Webb verse where Peter is killed, Miles takes up the mantle, and Peter from the other universe hops over to be Miles' mentor.
You dont need to kill peter to have Miles anyway.
^^^ This. Peter and Miles can absolutely coexist. And thanks to the blip, it's possible for Miles, implied to still be pretty young back in Homecoming, to now be a teen. Introducing him could potentially provide the ending for Holland's Peter - He meets and trains Miles while he's flying solo, before eventually passing the mantle fully so that he can have a second chance at a normal life with MJ and/or step into a more adult role as an Avenger.

A Tobey/Kristen movie with MayDay Parker just makes too much sense.

This is what Kristen told Variety in November when asked about her returning:

“I would never say no to something like that. I’d be old MJ at this point with little Spidey babies.”

Sony might have already had preliminary conversations about a MayDay movie with her.
This would be a lot of fun, if they can get Toby onboard. I don't really want continuations of their individual franchises, but I'd be down for a flick focused on Mayday.

It was really good to see Tobey come back but I'm content with where his Peter is at. Sounds like him and MJ still went through many years of turmoil after the end of SM3 but made it work and are in a good place right now. And if Tobey is still a pain to deal with then it makes more sense to not pursue a continuation of his Spiderman.

I will always look back at Tobey's Spiderman fondly because his first two movies are still my favorite SM movies even after seeing NWH. But the fact that he doesn't truly love the character and have the passion to want to play him like Andrew and Tom makes me less inclined to want to see him return to the role compared to Andrew who I definitely want to see back.

Last edited:
It was really good to see Tobey come back but I'm content with where his Peter is at. Sounds like him and MJ still went through many years of turmoil after the end of SM3 but made it work and are in a good place right now. And if Tobey is still a pain to deal with makes then it makes more sense to not pursue a continuation of his Spiderman.

I will always look back at Tobey's Spiderman fondly because his first two movies are still my favorite SM movies even after seeing NWH. But the fact that he doesn't truly love the character and have the passion to want to play him like Andrew and Tom makes me less inclined to want to see him return to the role compared to Andrew who I definitely want to see back.

Pretty much how I feel. I like Tobey a lot in the role. I will also always look back at his movies fondly. That being said, it always rubbed me the wrong way that he never seemed passionate about playing the character. Same goes for Kirsten. It simply business for them and while there’s nothing wrong with that at all…the actor that has that love for the character will always resonate more with me.

All that being said, I wouldn’t mind at all seeing Tobey again. I just highly doubt he wants to come back. However, if he does want to come back but is still pain in the ass to deal with, I honestly would rather him not return.

Anybody catch the face zoom in when Tobey in sinking in Sandman (he says something but I forgot). It was a nice nod to the Raimi directing style.

Kevin Feige was asked who was the most difficult to convince to come back and he responded with "It's not who you think it was" so that makes me doubt it was him. Not to say it didn't take any convincing though.

Didn't Ifans show up drunk at a comic con and basically trash talk the role and the movie?

I think so, I know he got hammered and arrested at comic-con lol.

I wonder if Tobey's Aunt May is still alive? I hope so because would be great to see Rosemary Harris in the role again. She is still acting. I wish Peter would have mentioned her in this movie.

I wonder if Tobey's Aunt May is still alive? I hope so because would be great to see Rosemary Harris in the role again. She is still acting. I wish Peter would have mentioned her in this movie.
I feel like they probably would kill her off, tbh. I'd love to see her in the role again and she's the best Aunt May, but I feel like her being gone may add emotional weight for the passage of time.

I loved how they highlighted his skill and experience over the other two in a subtle manner:

-Immediately webbing Andrew's webshooter during their brief fight
-Holding his ground while grabbing the glider when Tom's trying to push it down on the Goblin

Then there were some little moments I enjoyed, such as him smiling and waving back at Ned's Lola, and of course his reunion with Ock. Out of all the legacy characters returning, Tobey's probably benefitted the most from the MCUisms as he's a lot more talkative and outgoing, without ever really losing his dorky side from the Raimi movies.

I loved how they highlighted his skill and experience over the other two in a subtle manner:

-Immediately webbing Andrew's webshooter during their brief fight
-Holding his ground while grabbing the glider when Tom's trying to push it down on the Goblin

Then there were some little moments I enjoyed, such as him smiling and waving back at Ned's Lola, and of course his reunion with Ock. Out of all the legacy characters returning, Tobey's probably benefitted the most from the MCUisms as he's a lot more talkative and outgoing, without ever really losing his dorky side from the Raimi movies.

This a hundred percent. Andrew for the most part was basically who he’s been in his movies. I preferred this iteration of Tobey over his original movies. It was the same but….it wasn’t in a sense. He definitely benefited the most from this world. One of my concerns going into this movie was that he would bring that same low energy/dry style that he had in the original series. That it would be magnified by him standing beside Tom/Andrew… That wasn’t the case at all. It would have been nice to see him get a bit more material to work with the way Andrew did though.

Convince him for what though? He didn’t do anything, lol. This was like the easiest money grab ever for an actor. Sign me up…
He probably didn’t even want to waste his time doing the voice. Dude hated playing lizard

Getting paid for what was probably one day's worth of voice recording. I can't see that being an issue for Ifans.

Let alone him being the one most difficult to get.

Last edited:
I can. If someone loathes a role as much as he did, returning to it in any capacity would be a chore.

I doubt he loathed the role to the point where they offered him money for 1 day's work and he is like nah for some reason i just hated the role that much.

And honestly there was enough enthusiasm in his voice when voicing the lizard that it sounded like he was having fun with it.

And when asked if he was in it. He sounded fairly fine about it too.

If someone goes to a PUBLIC EVENT and trash talks the role while completely drunk, then they hate the role to the point where they don't care if the public knows. And this was during the publicity of TASM. At Comic Con of all places.

So yeah there's no question in my mind he was the one that took the most convincing.

Last edited:
If someone goes to a PUBLIC EVENT and trash talks the role while completely drunk, then they hate the role to the point where they don't care if the public knows. And this was during the publicity of TASM.

So yeah there's no question in my mind he was the one that took the most convincing.

He wasn’t important enough in the movie to even make a big deal out of him not signing or trying to convince. The movie could have easily moved forward without him. I think it’s fair to say based on his history that the one that the biggest issue was Tobey. Whether that’s factual or not, no one will ever know. However, They needed him to make this movie work so him not jumping on board right away would be an huge problem.

I don’t see anyone making a story out of Lizard not being in the movie. He barely was noticeable anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"