Days of Future Past Your Top 20 Quotes from the X-Men Movies

The production had an existing plot, existing cast, existing caracters, existing costuming (mostly), and existing canon. Writing was pretty much the only part that was him.

Last edited:
^So anyone could do it... you sound really butt hurt man.

Singer, Raimi, Brannagh, Favreau and the others created the tone and look and cast and story of their movies from scratch. Whedon inherited these things. Fact.

Anyone could do I it... But not necessarily well like whedon did

I know some just ain't fond of whedon in general But I think some people are anti whedon because avengers Is getting a bigger audience and praise then Xmen right now

Last edited:
The tone of A movie is not the only thing a director does. Let me give you some education as a person who went to film school. Not only did he juggle a very large cast some with egos he had to make sure that the effects for quite possibly the biggest movie ever were well done the tension was well ballanced etc... It is a huge undertaking.

You are underestimating what a true director like Whedon does. Maybe your personal hatred towards him is clouding your judgement I don't know but this "anyone could have directed this" nonsense needs to stop.

The tone of A movie is not the only thing a director does. Let me give you some education as a person who went to film school. Not only did he juggle a very large cast some with egos he had to make sure that the effects for quite possibly the biggest movie ever were well done the tension was well ballanced etc... It is a huge undertaking.

You are underestimating what a true director like Whedon does. Maybe your personal hatred towards him is clouding your judgement I don't know but this "anyone could have directed this" nonsense needs to stop.

I never said he did the movie badly, just that while others created the movies from scratch, he didn't, so the movies quality isn't all because of him it's because of the people who established the cast, characters, plot and everything else that carried over from the solo movies.

I think your personal fanhood of him is giving him too much credit.

totally agreed.

and the story was pretty simple too.

'Hater' would be saying his jokes suck because of something un-related to his jokes, not finding his jokes funny based solely on his jokes is opinion.

Not everyone adores his style of writing or humour.

I'm no fan boy.

I define a fanboy as one who loves a franchise or star or director so, that they'll not accept any crossed word said about it.

Last edited:

You make it sound as if he sat behind a computer everyday for months creating the effects himself.

You don't completely understand the point. Maybe not 'anyone' could have directed Avengers but any experienced director could have. He didn't have to create the world the film was set in nor did he have to cast the characters or anything.

This doesn't take away from his skill as a director. but for this particular project....

Last edited:
Whedon does have his fair share of cheap cringe one liners and he definitely isn't a flawless writer... buffy definitely had its standout flaws that he just basically said screw it too, same with alien: resurrection

but anyway he did direct and write the avengers well, he shared out screen time better then alot of directors could have and he also includes the typical whedon material like comedy,surprises,twists,one liners ect ect

but as for whedons part in the marvel films... well alot of the ground work was already there when whedon came onboard to direct the avengers, his job was just to take these characters and expand them, and i will say it again yes anyone could have directed it... but not anyone could have directed it well

Last edited:
You make it sound as if he sat behind a computer everyday for months creating the effects himself.

You don't completely understand the point. Maybe not 'anyone' could have directed Avengers but any experienced director could not. He didn't have to create the world the film was set in nor did he have to cast the characters or anything.

This doesn't take away from his skill as a director. but for this particular project....
I never said that but any director is involved with storyboarding and effects that just comes along with the teritory. I never said the groundwork wasn't there either so I don't know where that is coming from. I'm just confused as to why there was so much bashing of him from apparently one line in a movie he had little to do with.

You don't completely understand the point. Maybe not 'anyone' could have directed Avengers but any experienced director could not. He didn't have to create the world the film was set in nor did he have to cast the characters or anything.

but as for whedons part in the marvel films... well alot of the ground work was already there when whedon came onboard to direct the avengers, his job was just to take these characters and expand them, and i will say it again yes anyone could have directed it... but not anyone could have directed it well

My point exactly.

I'm just confused as to why there was so much bashing of him from apparently one line in a movie he had little to do with.

Because it's considered a poor line, and he wrote it.

Last edited:
It wasn't just the line it was him personally.

I think it's because in a quote he defends the line instead of admitting that he made a mistake and if that wasn't bad enough he quite clearly and arrogantly places the blame on Singer and especially Halle Berry's shoulders.

he said something like, 'when actors don't deliver the line properly it makes us writers look stupid.'

He comes across very arrogant especially when you consider, as I said earlier, that the line does not work regardless of the delivery. Accept the mistake and move on is what he should have done.

whedon also has spoken about alien: resurrection in the same way saying alot of it was done wrong to how he wrote it

i suppose it depends your point of view on whedon

MS Is a very controlled atmoshphere.Kevin Feige runs it like Michael Wilson and
barbara Broccoli run James bond films.

It's not a accident that only Jon favraru and Joss whedon come back to do sequels.

I am fan of buffy,Angel,Firefly,and Dollhouse but Whedon's work isn't flawless.
Seasons 3 and 4 of Angel are far superior to last 2 seasons of Buffy.some misteps were made during final season of angel but part of that was the WB.

whedon's comments about empire strikes back,considered by many to be best
Star wars film,and temple of doom Is awakening some to how arrogent he Is.
I thought his comment on avengers DVD/Blu-ray of Iron Man being the first true
come book film showed his arrgoence.And for the toad line.He did write it.Now on X-Men commantary Bryan Singer takes blame for those who didn't like it.That's something whedon almost never does.

MS Is a very controlled atmoshphere.Kevin Feige runs it like Michael Wilson and
barbara Broccoli run James bond films.

It's not a accident that only Jon favraru and Joss whedon come back to do sequels.

I am fan of buffy,Angel,Firefly,and Dollhouse but Whedon's work isn't flawless.
Seasons 3 and 4 of Angel are far superior to last 2 seasons of Buffy.some misteps were made during final season of angel but part of that was the WB.

whedon's comments about empire strikes back,considered by many to be best
Star wars film,and temple of doom Is awakening some to how arrogent he Is.
come book film showed his arrgoence.And for the toad line.He did write it.Now on X-Men commantary Bryan Singer takes blame for those who didn't like it.That's something whedon almost never does.

He said he didnt like the ending of Empire Strikes Back. Prior to that he has said multiple times how much he loves the Star Wars Trilogy. And even if he hated the movie, isn't it his right? There are lots of people on here that think Avengers is a poor movie, and there are people that think 2001: A space Odyssey is terrible. Does that make them arrogant? if having a minority opinion on a piece of art is considered arrogant, pretty much anyone who doesnt like the Godfather is a bad person right? Some of you guys are really coming across as bitter.

And he has said twice now, that he thinks the Avengers, despite good is not the best he could have done and that he's working hard to improve the sequel.

come book film showed his arrgoence.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

I wouldn't call that arrogance as he had nothing to do with Iron Man but it is a disrespectful and wildly inaccurate comment.

Last edited:
I don't really give a crap how "fluid" the MCU is. The guy needs to show some restraint, before looking like a jackass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"