• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I wouldn't mind at all if Richards' character were an original one made for the show. I mean, comic creators constantly lament how difficult it is to launch new characters and have them get any kind of traction with fans, most of whom are longtime readers that already have their long list of favorites. A TV series aimed at the broadest possible audience (just like the movies) seems like a good place to get those new concepts off the ground, especially if they want to diversify the universe so that 90% of the major characters aren't white men anymore.

They can --- and are --- reconceptualizing existing characters to make them more relevant, modern, and ethnically diverse. I don't see any reason not to find a happy medium between comic book canon and new twists to create a universe that looks authentic and believable and relatable to modern audiences.

In the case of JAR specifically, we're going by the fact that recent articles claimed his role was "top secret," which tends to indicate he's a character we'd recognize instead of a brand new addition to the MCU.

"We are absolutely on top of all the movies, making sure we never contradict, replicate, uh we will be flowing in between them, maybe occasionally we will throw something in that foreshadows/echoes, but we are very much beholden to the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

Joss Whedon general discussion Marvel SHIELD series for ABC - Part 1
Wow mods could you at least make the title make sense.

Well, if we didn't have whiners asking for this thread and that thread to be merged, stuff like this probably wouldn't happen... :o

I think one thing that might hurt this show is the emphasis on comedy. The same way the emphasis on melo drama romance hurts DC shows,though DC got better with it in Arrow. I understand companies have to do this,because comic book fans alone can not carry a show ratings wise.

I wouldnt mind if it was just one character for comic relief,like RDJ in Avengers
but I counted like four jokes from four characters in one trailer of one episode. These jokes were kind of chessy,and even RDJ sounds cheesy after awhile.
This could hurt the show. We will see if Marvels chessy comedy vs DC's melo drama is an effective way to bring in the general audience.

still think its going to be awesome

I think one thing that might hurt this show is the emphasis on comedy. The same way the emphasis on melo drama romance hurts DC shows,though DC got better with it in Arrow. I understand companies have to do this,because comic book fans alone can not carry a show ratings wise.

I wouldnt mind if it was just one character for comic relief,like RDJ in Avengers
but I counted like four jokes from four characters in one trailer of one episode. These jokes were kind of chessy,and even RDJ sounds cheesy after awhile.
This could hurt the show. We will see if Marvels chessy comedy vs DC's melo drama is an effective way to bring in the general audience.

Humor doesn't exactly hurt anything Joss Whedon does. In fact it's one of the main things that makes his stuff so enjoyable to watch.

Last edited:
Humor doesn't exactly hurt anything Joss Whedon does. In fact it's one of the main things that makes his stuff so enjoyable to watch.

Whedon's shows were great because he delivered on humor as well as drama with equal measure. I expect this show to do the same.

Humor is a great unifying factor in entertainment, though. I went to see Avengers numerous times, several of them with friends who don't read or know much about comics, and one of the most common takeaways from that movie was their pleasure at how funny it was. I don't think it detracts at all to punctuate action with the occasional comedy beat; rather, I think it has the opposite effect. Granted, it can get out of hand and start making things seem less serious, but you have to go to real extremes for that. But short of that, people joke under pressure in real life and audiences appreciate that.

Humor is a great unifying factor in entertainment, though. I went to see Avengers numerous times, several of them with friends who don't read or know much about comics, and one of the most common takeaways from that movie was their pleasure at how funny it was. I don't think it detracts at all to punctuate action with the occasional comedy beat; rather, I think it has the opposite effect. Granted, it can get out of hand and start making things seem less serious, but you have to go to real extremes for that. But short of that, people joke under pressure in real life and audiences appreciate that.

I've never understood this fanboy dislike of humor in supers flicks. It seems like everyone but hardcore comic nerds love to laugh.

Whedon's shows were great because he delivered on humor as well as drama with equal measure. I expect this show to do the same.

Its not a Whedon show if you don't have dramatic scenes with comedic lines undercutting it and vice versa.

I've never understood this fanboy dislike of humor in supers flicks. It seems like everyone but hardcore comic nerds love to laugh.

It's quite bizarre. As someone who tends to find humor in everything, it actually makes me feel much more personally invested in the movie once **** goes down. I really dig Nolan's Batman movies, but I actually have a slight disconnect with them because of that hefty layer of seriousness. Humor in these movies doesn't diffuse the tension, it invites the audience into it.

But, as always, different strokes.

So if Disney/MArvel does end up re-casting Hawkeye and making him a reg on the series do you think they'd try to get a name-actor for the role.

Don't know how they could rope one in for a tv show but also dont want some CW-Grade TV actor to play him and be included in the Avengers movies

So hire that dude from Dawson's creek. After having upgraded to a guy on a critically acclaimed but nobody bothered to watch show , he should be decent. Plus, he ain't doing nothin'. :o

So if Disney/MArvel does end up re-casting Hawkeye and making him a reg on the series do you think they'd try to get a name-actor for the role.

Don't know how they could rope one in for a tv show but also dont want some CW-Grade TV actor to play him and be included in the Avengers movies

Why would they do that?

zHM7eWH.jpg

CW-grade or not, he's a a perfect fit for Hawkeye.

They won't. Joss Whedon already said that Hawkeye is a core member of the team for the sequel.

Hawkeye could work for the television series. Unlike the other Avengers, he has no super-powers; and they could turn him into an archer and MacGyver like figure. Due to the limited screentime the character has, I imagine it would be too difficult to create a contract connecting tv and film appearances, after they recast.

They won't. Joss Whedon already said that Hawkeye is a core member of the team for the sequel.

True, but the statement, as I read it, did not infer that Renner=Hawkeye. Or, is there a recent interview clarifying it? I ask because I spent most of the day outside and am trying to catch up on all the new developments across the boards.

True, but the statement, as I read it, did not infer that Renner=Hawkeye. Or, is there a recent interview clarifying it? I ask because I spent most of the day outside and am trying to catch up on all the new developments across the boards.
I'm not saying Renner won't get re-cast, I'm saying this rumor as a whole isn't true. The report stated that Hawkeye isn't apart of the Phase 2 plans, which is the reason they'd be recasting him and putting him on Agents of SHIELD... BUT, Hawkeye most certainly is in the phase 2 plans and is a "core" member of The Avengers 2. Also, I doubt Joss would recast the role just to put Hawkeye on his TV show considering he's the one who cast Renner in the first place.

Everything about that rumor sounds made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"