Ahsoka: Episode 7 Spoiler Discussion

Aren’t Night sister zombies just resurrected people?

So they would still be bad shots right?:basicgrin:

Yeah, but when Marrok died, he popped open like he was carrying the Smoke Monster from Lost inside of him. These guys just... died. I guess an undead scrub is still a scrub, but they were missing the fanfare and theatrics of it all.

And Ezra knows Ahsoka. None of that is knowing Shin. Also, how well does she know Baylan? Because when they met, it was as if it was the first time.

Ahsoka has an apprentice. Unless she's going to upgrade to Luke or Ezra herself.
Baylan already spoke about what his plans were and Ahsoka nodded like she knew what she he was talking about. She saw through the force how he manipulated Sabine.

The whole point of Ahsoka the wite is her coming to terms with her master and apprentice role.

Helping his apprentice makes sense. Helping people with talent and abilities is the Jedi way.

Ezra has never seen Baylan and only fought Shin for two minutes.

Yeah, but when Marrok died, he popped open like he was carrying the Smoke Monster from Lost inside of him. These guys just... died. I guess an undead scrub is still a scrub, but they were missing the fanfare and theatrics of it all.
no im saying even if they were zombies, they would just be the same resurrected bad shot storm troopers.

Night sisters magic isn’t like the venom symbiote upping your skills and abilities.

Marrok was a good fighter before he died I guess.

Lest we forget how effective Nightsister zombies were against simple Battle Droids.

no im saying even if they were zombies, they would just be the same resurrected bad shot storm troopers.

Night sisters magic isn’t like the venom symbiote upping your skills and abilities.

Marrok was a good fighter before he died I guess.

Lest we forget how effective Nightsister zombies were against simple Battle Droids.

But that's the thing: I'm saying they're not zombies at all. They're just regular living dudes with a thing for red. There was no smoke show when they died, no suggestion that they were anything but healthy, breathing space Nazis.

My disappointment doesn't come from them not being super-powered, it comes from them being a variant of a classic trooper that's designed to sell more toys and nothing else.

Last edited:
But that's the thing: I'm saying they're not zombies at all. They're just regular living dudes with a thing for red. There was no smoke show when they died, no suggestion that they were anything but healthy, breathing space Nazis.

My disappointment doesn't come from them not being super-powered, it comes from them being a variant of a classic trooper that's designed to sell more toys and nothing else.

I mean, the zombies didn't disappear in a burst of green mist when defeated. The green part of them are hidden by the helmets. Marrok was likely something other than a zombie.

I understand she's doing her own thing but man, I really wish there was more Hera/Mew in this episode and this show in general. It's just weird and kind of jarring to me how they cut back to her character and it feels like she's pretty much disconnected from all the major stuff going down.

She should have been better integrated into this show and while I can appreciate them at least trying to bring some personality and charm to this whole Sabine/Ezra relationship something about it just feels off to me.

I don't know if its the direction or the writing or a combination of both but so far I'm definitely not feeling the actor they got for Ezra although it was cool seeing them work together I guess.

The action in this episode wasn't all that well directed though IMO. I was also hoping for so much more from those Night Troopers as well after that cool intro in the last episode.

I mean, the zombies didn't disappear in a burst of green mist when defeated. The green part of them are hidden by the helmets. Marrok was likely something other than a zombie.

But that's the problem right there. If they are two independent elements, then they make each other comparatively worthless. What is the point of introducing two distinct "resurrections" for tertiary and ancillary antagonists? The only thing it serves to do is muddy the waters. Marrok's deal will probably tie in with those coffins in the cargo bay on Thrawn's ship, but the Night Troopers serve no functional purpose if they're disconnected from that. They're just there to sell toys, like I said. But they could be more interesting if they were weaved into all the other stories taking place.

Not a big start to introducing Ezra. It is obvious they didn't want him to use a lightsaber. It was strange then that he eventually uses a blaster. Once they were surrounded, this was the time for Ezra to pick up a lightsaber and show the audience the character's skill. It would also show the people who do know about him, how he has been doing on his own all this time. Instead we see Shin easily dispatch him. So really not a big start to introducing Ezra.

Not a big start to introducing Ezra. It is obvious they didn't want him to use a lightsaber. It was strange then that he eventually uses a blaster. Once they were surrounded, this was the time for Ezra to pick up a lightsaber and show the audience the character's skill. It would also show the people who do know about him, how he has been doing on his own all this time. Instead we see Shin easily dispatch him. So really not a big start to introducing Ezra.
This reminds me of Optimus Prime’s first resurrection, when he resisted Rodimus’ attempt to return the Matrix. Ezra might be brainwashed. It’d explain why none of his enemies found him during all those years, and now that he’s in position to fulfill his purpose as an infiltrator, his core personality is sabotaging the brainwashing’s compulsion to take up full Jedi power again.

But that's the problem right there. If they are two independent elements, then they make each other comparatively worthless. What is the point of introducing two distinct "resurrections" for tertiary and ancillary antagonists? The only thing it serves to do is muddy the waters. Marrok's deal will probably tie in with those coffins in the cargo bay on Thrawn's ship, but the Night Troopers serve no functional purpose if they're disconnected from that. They're just there to sell toys, like I said. But they could be more interesting if they were weaved into all the other stories taking place.

I mean, the general audience has no expectation of the troopers being any kind of Nightsister creation. We speculate because we know the lore and have seen the subtitles.

This reminds me of Optimus Prime’s first resurrection, when he resisted Rodimus’ attempt to return the Matrix. Ezra might be brainwashed. It’d explain why none of his enemies found him during all those years, and now that he’s in position to fulfill his purpose as an infiltrator, his core personality is sabotaging the brainwashing’s compulsion to take up full Jedi power again.

I have no idea why people are so married to the idea that Ezra MUST have been corrupted or turned dark by his time on this planet. Ezra hasn't had a lightsaber in almost 10 years. At least twice the time he had and trained with one. And lest we forget, he did not save Lothal with a lightsaber.

Frankly everyone should be more upset he didn't use a slingshot.

I mean, the general audience has no expectation of the troopers being any kind of Nightsister creation. We speculate because we know the lore and have seen the subtitles.

I feel like you're missing my point. I don't want them to be undead just because it gives them a neat hook, I want them to be literally anything other than just a standard stormtrooper. Give me anything that makes them more relevant than just simple cannon fodder or window dressing. Because right now, alive or dead, it makes no difference. They fight the same, they die the same, they're as ineffectual all the same. And if the franchise has taught us anything, it's that these types of soldiers are nothing but a joke. A useless enemy for the heroes to mow through. We've done that already. Constantly, repeatedly. But they had a chance to give Thrawn a real threat. A grand fascist army created through magic and willpower. Something imposing and real, like the threat Thrawn is supposed to project. They tie into him inexorably. If they're useless, he seems useless. If they're spawned through dark magick and are STILL useless, it makes Thrawn seem doubly so.

I suspect that those coffin buddies are the real army, and the Night Troopers will amount to nothing. Which is a shame, because they've wasted time on them already when they should have been developing what is likely the real threat.

I mean, he also called them acceptable casualties this episode. So, not implying they are some powerful resource. Its star wars. Cool looking things tend to get clowned on. See Gideon's Super Commandos.

But instead of Hamilton, it's this episode of Ahsoka. :o

Slower episode like Mando S2 with the budget probably going to Ep 8. Assuming that means we end on a dark note with Thrawn's arrival. Also, still expecting the destruction of Lothal next week. Guess we'll see if that actually happens.

I thought the Night Troopers voices were more like Marrok’s than like the usual radio voice style they use. But I guess I was imagining it.

Also a weird bit of staging was Ahsoka seeing where the fight was then being dropped off next to Baylan, which delayed her saving her friends, and required her to steal his howle.

Enjoyed it again, haters gon hate

but yeah I assume the night troopers are just normal storm troopers with a fashion sense
what've they had to train on, slow moving rock snail people? They've "survived", but what did they really have to survive?
The white walkers... er... undead trooper army will be the real threat

You know that dream you have sometimes where you try to run, but you can't make any forward progress because it feels like you're stuck in molasses? That's what the title of this episode is referring to.
To me this was the episode that made it most obvious that this should have been a 6-episode series. It feels like they're running out the clock.

Ezra did not have a slingshot. Terrible episode. 0/10 Disgrace Filloni.

Frankly, the pacing isn't surprising me. You have to remember how the CW was paced once they moved into 3-4 episode arcs. Which sometimes worked. And sometimes, you got 4 episodes with Jar Jar for some reason. The problem is coming from him trying to make the arcs a smaller part of a bigger arc. Which, you kind of got in Clone Wars. But its clear it is having issues when you try to make that bigger arc your show. I mean, when its obvious by episode 3 that this has a 2 season plan, you may need to rethink how you are making TV.

EDIT: Also, STOP TRYING TO HAVE PEOPLE RUN ON VOLUME.
While it is not your intended point, multi-season plans aren't necessarily the problem. The problem is that post-peak TV writers have come to regard the medium as stretched out movies or miniseries. Great serialized TV balances long-form storytelling with the episodic format of TV. Each episode needs to tell a compelling and largely complete story of its own. It is how JMS did it on Babylon 5 despite telling a long-form story using a 5 year plan. It is how The Sopranos did it. It is how DS9 did it with the exception of the final arc in the back half of season 7. And even then due to decades of training in episodic TV writing, the writing staff still made each episode fill jam packed.

While it is not your intended point, multi-season plans aren't necessarily the problem. The problem is that post-peak TV writers have come to regard the medium as stretched out movies or miniseries. Great serialized TV balances long-form storytelling with the episodic format of TV. Each episode needs to tell a compelling and largely complete story of its own. It is how JMS did it on Babylon 5 despite telling a long-form story using a 5 year plan. It is how The Sopranos did it. It is how DS9 did it with the exception of the final arc in the back half of season 7. And even then due to decades of training in episodic TV writing, the writing staff still made each episode fill jam packed.
I kind of wish that streaming series were made with commercials in mind. The desirability of a series for selling commercials depends a lot on the episodes’ casual rewatch value, which works best if the episode contains a complete story. It’s fine if the story also has a place within a longer arc, but I find that miniseries with only a chapter-per-episode structure feel plodding even when I’m enjoying the mystery of the unfolding plot the first time through.

Enjoyed it again, haters gon hate

but yeah I assume the night troopers are just normal storm troopers with a fashion sense
what've they had to train on, slow moving rock snail people? They've "survived", but what did they really have to survive?
The white walkers... er... undead trooper army will be the real threat
I would have liked the night troopers to be an upgrade on the storm troopers with Thrawn recognising the need for that.

What I don't understand is how come nobody has figured out that the cool designs of the Night Troopers is just stitched together repairs of their armor. They just used red material and gold? That's all I got from it, what the hell was yall expecting!? lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"