Ahsoka Ahsoka: Episode 8 Spoiler Thread

Man, as much as I want to defend this show and say that I enjoyed it from beginning to end there were just too many problems with it for me in the long run and this finale was just another example of that.

I thought the first couple of episodes showed a lot more promise, but it never really felt like it kicked into gear like it should have and I just didn't like the direction this went in towards the end.

I mean stuff happened throughout this finale but none of it seemed consequential in the slightest and the so called payoff with the zombie Stormtroopers might as well have been nonexistent.

The only real positives I can think of right now is that the music was pretty great for the most part and Lars Mikkelsen did what he could to elevate this show as Thrawn but he deserves so much better IMO.

I'd love to see that character in a Star Wars movie on the bigscreen but not under the direction of Filoni and better writers but unfortunately it looks like that's going to happen anyways.

Mew killed it with her reaction to Ezra at the end though and I really wish we got to see more of her character and I would also say the same about Ray Stevenson who was great in this and will be sadly missed.

I'm also pretty shocked that Rick Famuyiwa directed this episode too because it didn't have his usual, kinetic energy at all but maybe he got brought onboard last minute or something.

Either way, I found this show pretty disappointing in the end.

Thrawn really disappointed for me. Didn't really come across as a tactical genius. If this was supposed to set Thrawn up for a movie appearance, I really could care less for this version. They are going to have to do something to set him up better. This show didn't do it.

Thrawn really disappointed for me. Didn't really come across as a tactical genius. If this was supposed to set Thrawn up for a movie appearance, I really could care less for this version. They are going to have to do something to set him up better. This show didn't do it.
I’m still hoping we’ll get Flim at some point. This would fit, an imposter who has Thrawn’s mannerisms without Thrawn’s military genius.

Mortis stuff, would be my guess, since Anakin and Ahsoka are both connected to those beings, and with the owl making an appearance.
No I mean as a storytelling device. When movies, shows do those rapid this is where things stand it’s to set up the next story. Vader next to Palpatine. Luke given to his uncle and Aunt.

Ahsoka already came to terms with Anakin so him showing up as a ghost doesn’t really fit with Ezra getting to the Republic to warn them. Baylan seeing those Gods. Thrawn going to Dorthomir with the witches and cargo.

Force ghost ain’t that active of participants.

He never rose to the level of what people online made him out to be.

The fact he let Ezra “Benny Hill“ him for years on a single planet and then sneaks aboard his ship and escape again without notice makes Thrawn even more wack.

Well, I loved the show! So all of you guys can
View attachment 69145

In all seriousness, I have very little experience with Rebels or Clone Wars. I only have a vague familiarity from my sons watching it. But it was just too many episodes for me to get into them.

But I loved this show.

Makes me wonder if having no background or preconceptions actually helps in this case.
Add me to I never saw the animated shows

But this still doesn’t hang together well.

I feel like Spiderverse 2 did a better job of what this was trying to accomplish.

Well, I loved the show! So all of you guys can
View attachment 69145

In all seriousness, I have very little experience with Rebels or Clone Wars. I only have a vague familiarity from my sons watching it. But it was just too many episodes for me to get into them.

But I loved this show.

Makes me wonder if having no background or preconceptions actually helps in this case.

I haven't watched the finale yet, but entering this show I never watched a single episode of Rebels or Clone Wars. My experience has been this show is incredibly boring. The plot has been unbearably padded and nothing happens. I haven't seen the finale, but through 7 episodes, I am still waiting for something to happen. While I have liked this more than Book of Boba Fett, that's all I can really say that's at all kind. This has been one of the most consistently boring shows ever on D+

The fact he let Ezra “Benny Hill“ him for years on a single planet and then sneaks aboard his ship and escape again without notice makes Thrawn even more wack.

Even in his original appearance, Thrawn was good, but not unbeatable. That came later, when the author really, really bought into his two favorite Stus. And in Rebels, he was hardly omnipitent. I mean, he suffered 2 major defeats from his underestimating of the Force and its users. And while 10 years seems to indicate that he has started to learn to respect what they can do, he still can't outright outplan it.

As for letting Ezra run around, he kept track of his whereabouts. He was trying to keep his limited resources viable, and sending out the remains of his troopers to possibly be lost wasn't a great plan. I mean, even the zombie Night Troopers this episode wasn't about killing the Jedi, but slowing them down.

Star Wars Twitter subtly deleting the tweet about the series finale and reposting with season finale, lol. Curious to see what Nielsen numbers are like this and next week.

Samba TV seems to be indicating that viewership has grown every week since the pilot. Guess we'll see. If it's getting renewed under this leadership, and with the current state of steaming, they'd have to be very happy with the results.

Last edited:
So maybe the cargo Thrawn loaded up is just full of corpses that the great mothers will resurrect on Dathomir. Actually the only real threat on the ship seems to be the great mothers.

6ddAgvW.gif

Can't remember the last time I watched a season of television that was this stagnant after 8 episodes and it was full of characters with zero personality or interest and cookie-cutter dialogue.

Was this the worst SW show? No. Was it the best? f*** no. I hate to say it, but is Dave Filoni the SW version of Zack Snyder?

Okay, I don't watch this show, but I have to ask: what DT review is this gif from? Because I don't remember this one, but it feels very on point.

The show could have been better overall but I’ve enjoyed seeing the Rebels characters in live action (maybe should have called the show Rebels instead of Ahsoka). Seeing Thrawn was something I always wanted, and hopefully there is a lot more to come from him, maybe films too. Sabine was my favourite otherwise. Hope we don’t see anyone killed off yet as I want these characters to survive and appear beyond the confines of this show.

Star Wars Twitter subtly deleting the tweet about the series finale and reposting with season finale, lol. Curious to see what Nielsen numbers are like this and next week.

Samba TV seems to be indicating that viewership has grown every week since the pilot. Guess we'll see. If it's getting renewed under this leadership, and with the current state of steaming, they'd have to be very happy with the results.
Good to hear. It better get renewed just to see these characters again. Or failing that Ammon e a different project where they can appear. Need to see the best of Thrawn’s scheming though which we only got a glimpse of so far.

Okay, I don't watch this show, but I have to ask: what DT review is this gif from? Because I don't remember this one, but it feels very on point.

It's not from a review, it's during their last segment after they reviewed Saw X on twitch. They were listening to a song from someone in the chat who paid them $5. lol

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit
Zombie Stormtroopers make stormtroopers slightly intimidating for once
Glad Ezra didn't sacrifice himself to get the ladies home as rumors had suggested

Was bummed there wasn't more Baylan, especially since he sadly won't be coming back
My thought is maybe they edit unused footage and have him absorbed by the mortis gods or something
idk, really hope they don't use CGI

I want to be fair in my thoughts here. It is worth acknowledging that long-form television series don't always wrap everything up with a bow by the end of a season. Game of Thrones left quite a number of storylines dangling by the end of its Season 1. And given just how many threads were left loose here, I can only assume this show is either getting a second season or it's intended to lead straight into Filoni's movie. So obviously this was never intended to be the end of the road.

But despite recognizing the nature of TV storytelling, this show felt especially incomplete. If not resolution, one of the core storylines needed some major advancement at the very least. If this season had gotten Thrawn back to the main galaxy by Episode 6 or 7, and Episode 8 was him launching an offensive against the New Republic and staking his claim as Heir to the Empire, that would've been something. If Baylan had met whatever entity was "calling" to him, that would've been something. There is just something so very dissatisfying about six hours of storytelling effectively boiling down to "they went to another galaxy and then the bad guy escaped almost immediately." It's like I said a couple of weeks back, this season felt like a ton of set-up and not much else. There wasn't enough significant advancement or resolution to anything that left me feeling like this was six hours well spent.

I dunno. While I'm not advocating for every Star Wars show to be like Andor, I think Disney should be using that show as a case study for how to structure their other shows. Each episode of Andor had a satisfactory beginning and ending. There was a larger narrative that tied the entire season together, but each episode or set of episodes had little mini-arcs as well. The season finale left you wanting more, but it also earned itself.

Andor felt like a proper TV show, and one that did it right. This felt like an unedited assembly cut of a movie that got split up into eight episodes.

Last edited:
Well, the finale didn't change my mind about this not needing to be 8 episodes. Could have done it in 6 at most but that's stating the obvious by now. Could have been better, but could have been worse is my ultimate takeaway.

Funny enough, the thing that I enjoyed most in this episode besides Thrawn was Ezra reuniting with Hera but even then it felt like the scene cut off abruptly. They couldn't have had a hug, at least? This show was needlessly padded out over 8 episodes and their reunion was basically a quick, "Hey." "Hey." :o

What this show needed, and should be included in S2 if they know what's good for them, is this guy:

b107a050155d1efc5d404553c4846e3ddbf1d0c7.gif

My major takeaways:

- I like live action Sabine, Ezra, and Hera. The actors "get it". Thrawn is a given.

- Dawson is the worst major character actor in Star Wars history. Which covers a lot of ground.

- Really good music.

- It's weird how much this show depends on you knowing lore form shows with combined over 200 episodes. But even then, nothing meaty.

- This is the worst shot Star Wars project, with the worst stunt work in Star Wars history.

- There was no progress, with well over 4 hours of television.

- Force Ghost Anakin is still a perv.
Agreed on all points except for Dawson. To me she isn't bad, she just didn't bring much to the table here. It reminds me a lot of Liam Neeson in TPM where he was in stoic mode for the majority of his performance but even then he had a few moments where Qui-Gon showed some warmth. There was more warmth to Dawson's Ahsoka in Mando S2 and Book of Boba Fett.

I had fun with this finale. Overall, Ashoka was a solid experience for me, and while the last 2 episodes may not have hit as strong as earlier episodes, I stall walked away wanting a season 2. I love these characters. RIP Ray!

Well, the finale didn't change my mind about this not needing to be 8 episodes. Could have done it in 6 at most but that's stating the obvious by now. Could have been better, but could have been worse is my ultimate takeaway.

Funny enough, the thing that I enjoyed most in this episode besides Thrawn was Ezra reuniting with Hera but even then it felt like the scene cut off abruptly. They couldn't have had a hug, at least? This show was needlessly padded out over 8 episodes and their reunion was basically a quick, "Hey." "Hey." :o

What this show needed, and should be included in S2 if they know what's good for them, is this guy:

b107a050155d1efc5d404553c4846e3ddbf1d0c7.gif

Agreed on all points except for Dawson. To me she isn't bad, she just didn't bring much to the table here. It reminds me a lot of Liam Neeson in TPM where he was in stoic mode for the majority of his performance but even then he had a few moments where Qui-Gon showed some warmth. There was more warmth to Dawson's Ahsoka in Mando S2 and Book of Boba Fett.
For me, Neeson's quality come out in how he moves between the stoicism. One of my favorite sequences is when he's denied the ability to train Anakin and in the process kind of forgets Obi-Wan exists. Neeson's ability to go from stoic Jedi, to PO'ed miscontent, to fatherly mentor is something I feel is underrated. He also knew how to cut people up with his lightsaber.

One of my favorite Jedi scenes:
qui-gon-jinn-brinasgift.gif

The contrast between Master, padawan, and Sith is so perfect. Especially the way Qui-Gon snaps out of the meditation and goes right back to fighting. Neeson's determination never gives over to anger or fear. Maybe the ideal example of a Jedi in the PT era.

The funny thing is, a condensed recap of season 1 for this show will actually be able to show you everything. All that really happened was: Ahsoka deals with Anakin's fate and what it means for her, Sabine learned to use the force, Ezra and Thrawn return, and the great mothers return to Dathomir. Oh, Baylon and Shin parted ways on their own quests. Hera's story really only matters if we see another season. She just wanted to prove there is a threat. So Thrawn showing up is the proof. So really this is a quick scene of Thrawn attacking and the council realizing too late he is out there.

So moving forward I think a recap is all I need for whatever project this sets up in the future. I wouldn't rewatch the whole season again.

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit
Zombie Stormtroopers make stormtroopers slightly intimidating for once
Glad Ezra didn't sacrifice himself to get the ladies home as rumors had suggested

Was bummed there wasn't more Baylan, especially since he sadly won't be coming back
My thought is maybe they edit unused footage and have him absorbed by the mortis gods or something
idk, really hope they don't use CGI
Would have been utterly dumb for Ezra to be gone so soon after being introduced and before we got to know him properly so thank **** for that!

Baylan has been one of my favourite parts of the show (I like Shin too). Hopefully he at least gets adapted for animated films/shows/games in future. Glad to see him a part of the lore, great performance.

Last edited:

Amazing if new Jedi are learning Benny Hill tactics. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"