Ahsoka Ahsoka: Episode 4 Spoiler Thread

While I don’t entirely disagree with the whole CGI deaging of Hayden Christensen looking very uncanny and kind of unsettling, the whole Twitter discourse surrounding Dave Filoni catering only to nostalgia and memberberries and how much of a terrible filmmaker he is and that he wasn’t that great to begin with from Film Twitter elitists has become really insufferable and joyless. I get having criticisms, but good lord, you think that somebody murdered their pet dog or something.

It’s nice to have channels on YouTube like Blind Wave who know their s**t and provide some occasional critiques and but still displaying unbridled joy at what they’re experiencing, without making me wonder and second guess if I’m wrong for having a positive reaction to the thing I am supposed to “dislike” and signals “the downfall of Cinema“. :whatever:

While I don’t entirely disagree with the whole CGI deaging of Hayden Christensen looking very uncanny and kind of unsettling, the whole Twitter discourse surrounding Dave Filoni catering only to nostalgia and memberberries and how much of a terrible filmmaker he is and that he wasn’t that great to begin with from Film Twitter elitists has become really insufferable and joyless. I get having criticisms, but good lord, you think that somebody murdered their pet dog or something.

It’s nice to have channels on YouTube like Blind Wave who know their s**t and provide some occasional critiques and but still displaying unbridled joy at what they’re experiencing, without making me wonder and second guess if I’m wrong for having a positive reaction to the thing I am supposed to “dislike” and signals “the downfall of Cinema“. :whatever:

It balances by having fans orgasming when ever Filoni does something. I am not quite ready to write off his movie, but Filoni so far is not entirely filling me with confidence. There has been too much in the show that feels like it is being ripped off of something else in the series. This episode especially with the Ahsoka and Marrok fight, it felt like he was hitting his old greatest hit of Obi vs Maul. And the fact that the de aging is being praised just angers me. Either use make up, ignore it, or recast. Stop with the CGI monstrosities.

I will say, as not so great as the de-aging for Hayden Christensen is, it at the very least has a one-up on the other in that you have the actual actor there doing the performance and the voice, which doesn’t create as great of a disconnect. Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian is just this weird uncanny homunculus of a plastic-y, obviously fake, artificial, digitally re-created young Mark Hamill face and synthetic robotic voice on top of an actual person who, by all accounts, just looking at the behind-the-scenes photos, should have just played the role himself without any of that stuff.

Not excusing the de-aging or whatever, but credit where credit is due.

I will say, despite my criticisms, I did enjoy this episode. I find myself with a lot of criticisms of this series, yet, I am still loving it. Odd sensation.

I'm not gonna lie, coming back to this after experiencing the production design on One Piece is... kinda rough. The damn Volume will keep pissing me off. And stop trying to run on it. Its clear you aren't allowed to and it looks bad. That said, I really liked Baylon and Shin's (NO Filoni, I refuse to use your wolf fetish names) looks without their capes. Very nice simple Dark Jedi looks, imo.

Since we found out last week that Marrok was played by Sam Witwer, I found the reveal of him being a nightbro zombie hilarious.

I did not really enjoy Ahsoka's fight with Marrok. Once again, this feels like an issue with Filoni, where it doesn't feel like a reference, but more directly copying. A lesser version of the Maul vs Obi duel. That said duels between Shin and Sabine and the one between Baylen and Ahsoka were much better. The Ahsoka makeup is still clearly a detriment to getting action like in the cartoons, but it is getting a bit better.

Which brings me to Ray Stevenson. Absolute star of the episode. Loved his saber style, and I just loved his speeches. His Dark Side recruitment speech to Sabine was excellent. And I will say, his interaction with Ahsoka is the closest Dawson has been able to remind me of Eckstein so far. Still not sold on Dawson, but she is slowly getting there.

Quite honestly, the X-wing willingly took up the name of Phoenix Squadron, they damn well knew there were going to get wrecked. Not a great squadron for survival.

I am laughing at certain shippers going insane after this episode.

Can we please end this CGI abominations. Please.

Apparently, there is a photo of Kanan in the cockpit of the Ghost, that's pretty cool.

I really didn't even notice Anakin's face. Upon a second glance and looking at these pictures posted, It still doesn't look off to me. But if you have an eye for it I guess you might see something.

Apparently, there is a photo of Kanan in the cockpit of the Ghost, that's pretty cool.
Yeah I heard that too, looked it up and sure enough. I made a quick screengrab and lightened up the shot in the second picture.Kanan in Ahsoka Ep4.1.jpg Kanan in Ahsoka Ep4.png

img_5554-jpeg.661090

A bit clearer

Not much detail, yet unlike the "mural", this is meant to be a "photo", hard to tell are they using a cartoon(ish reimagining), of what he'd look like, or the actual likeness of Freddy Prinze Jr.?

Curious will his "I got a bad feeling abt this" Wolf-boy kid, be force-sensitive? And does it follow Kanan will inevitably appear to him?
7yfpcc.gif

7yfvjx.gif

7yfpnt.gif

Would love to see Prinze cast as live action Kanan.
Though if they do, would he appear as force-ghost FPJ? Or as the Filoni cosmic-wolf-spirit?

Last edited:
It’s funny. I used to think of FPJ as this terrible actor (and he was, at least in the 90s) but he really reinvented himself as an awesome voice actor. He was fantastic in Dragon Age Inquisition and great in what little I’ve seen of Rebels.

And compared to Hayden Christiansen, he’s Marlon ****ing Brando. So yeah, bring him in as a force ghost or whatever.

But are they right...

It balances by having fans orgasming when ever Filoni does something. I am not quite ready to write off his movie, but Filoni so far is not entirely filling me with confidence. There has been too much in the show that feels like it is being ripped off of something else in the series. This episode especially with the Ahsoka and Marrok fight, it felt like he was hitting his old greatest hit of Obi vs Maul. And the fact that the de aging is being praised just angers me. Either use make up, ignore it, or recast. Stop with the CGI monstrosities.
yep-star-wars.gif

Live action Filoni feels very much like a one trick pony, showing the importance of animators in the animation process.

I quite enjoyed episode 4 and it was my personal favorite of the series so far.

That said, I don't get why Hera hasn't called Zeb yet. Makes no sense to me. Perhaps they are waiting on a big entrance or return for Zeb.

I do think it's hilarious if that's the last we see of Marrok. Reminds me a lot of what happened to Snoke. Also, my understanding Paul Darnell played Marrok, so what did Witwer do? Just the brief voice-over lines? He only had a few in episode 3.

I quite enjoyed episode 4 and it was my personal favorite of the series so far.

That said, I don't get why Hera hasn't called Zeb yet. Makes no sense to me. Perhaps they are waiting on a big entrance or return for Zeb.

I do think it's hilarious if that's the last we see of Marrok. Reminds me a lot of what happened to Snoke. Also, my understanding Paul Darnell played Marrok, so what did Witwer do? Just the brief voice-over lines? He only had a few in episode 3.

Witwer likely has done a lot of background voice effects, grunts and the like, for LFL that they likely use a fair bit. There is a lot of not descript noices, stuff that doesn't exactly equal actual lines, that are needed for characters who don't get named in the script.

As for Zeb, Hera didn't want to interrupt date night with his husband.

Witwer likely has done a lot of background voice effects, grunts and the like, for LFL that they likely use a fair bit. There is a lot of not descript noices, stuff that doesn't exactly equal actual lines, that are needed for characters who don't get named in the script.

As for Zeb, Hera didn't want to interrupt date night with his husband.

Zeb and Kallus got married?!

zebkallus_main.jpg

To me, the Phoenix Squadron moment would've been the perfect in for Zeb. It was right there, they just didn't take it.

Look, Zeb know damn well not to join Phoenix Squadron. He's seen what happens to them.

Agree with everything.

Fantastic episode. Absolutely love the Filoni touch.

I am the same and said as much in the general news thread. Filoni's stuff feels the most OT like thing we have gotten since, well the OT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"