The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 6: From the Desert Comes a Stranger (Spoiler Discussion)

Well, I think a lot of people who grew up with the prequels are old enough now to voice their opinions online and what not. And technology is only getting better. You don't have to worry about actor drama with a cgi face lol. It's still not perfect, but man it's come a long way since the "Tron: Legacy" days.

Nah, what people are talking about here is rife with ethical issues. Anyone pay attention to Troy Baker's little NFT problem.

Grogu looked so pitiful in that Order 66 flashback with his ears drooping.:( I wonder if we'll find out in the finale who saved him in the temple?
Order 66 gets me every time still. And seeing Grogu there just breaks my heart :( . I do hope we find out at some point who saved him. It would be a bit disapointing for me if we dont.

That look after destroying the Nokto riders. :cool:

So, having finished Midnight Horizon by DJ Older, I have been thinking about this conversation a LOT. The novel deals a lot about attachments and the Jedi, what that means, what is acceptable and what isn't.

But canon, including 7 seasons of Clone Wars, indicate that Yoda himself was questioning the old dogma and coming around to Qui-Gon's hippy love reformer views. Even Rian seems to acknowledge that in his portrayal of Yoda in TLJ, which begs the question why Yoda was not counseling Luke on these issues after ROTJ. The movie makes clear that Yoda remained there and available to counsel Luke, but for some reason seems to suggest that Yoda allowed Luke to go off and make 30 years of horrible mistakes before coming back to set him straight.

I don't get why people are suggesting that Luke would blindly follow orthodoxy now when he clearly didn't do that during the OT. He clearly trusts his own gut and judgment and any portrayal of Luke otherwise after ROTJ is clearly inconsistent.

Obi-Wan told him Anakin was lost and beyond saving, Luke rejected that and went with his own gut and using familial attachment to save the Galaxy and destroy the Sith. And Filoni has spent almost two decades in Star Wars animation establishing the idea that a reformist Jedi sect was rising following Order 66 and that their teachings were pivotal to the Jedi Order rising from the ashes around the time of the OT.

It is fascinating to see Yoda with a Padawan in Midnight Horizon, even if it is for a very little bit. He doesn't fight his padawan when they decide to leave the order to pursue a romantic attachment. Now, Yoda's padawan does eventually return, but in a different mindset, and willing to join the order now.

Which leads to where I think Luke is misinterpreting some things. Being a Jedi is a choice, yes. But its not one you force on your student. I think Luke was misinterpreting the "lack of attachments" and "choosing the Jedi" into the choice he presented to Gizmo. I think it is less repeating the PT Jedi's mistakes, but making a different mistake based on flawed interpretation of info.

One of my favorite aspects of the OT is how Obi-Wan stays pretty dogmatic with his review (ironically letting his emotions get the better of him), while Yoda may have his opinions, but he goes out of his way to not tell Luke what to do. He tells him he has to confront Vader, never how. He leaves that to Luke.

Like I said, it was fun seeing bits of Yoda with an actual padawan, even with the padawan as a master. And this is consistent to what they wrote about him 200 years ago.

Good point. The Jedi are so interesting to me, because they have the classic superhero conundrum of, "great power, great responsibility". They are faced with the decision of when and when not to intervene. What is natural order, what isn't. Anakin is kind of left on an island being told he has all this power. That he's special, with a special destiny. While at the same time, they also tell him he must learn the natural order of the world. Death will happen, even to our loved ones. We must accept it. But they do it, in the most Jedi way possible, which is why things go bad. Sure, the Emperor's influence matters. Anakin's love for his mother and Padme matter. But it's the Jedi's lack of willingness to engage with these things, that doom Anakin. Obi-Wan knew about Padme and Anakin. They were going around with each other's droids, he knew they had contact, etc. He knew why Rex was in front of that door. And yet, he never talked to him about it.

I think it is a good thing to look at the High Republic Jedi compared to the PT Jedi. I'm not entirely certain that the HR Jedi would have prevented Anakin from falling, as his attachment to Padme would still cause him to fall under Palpatine's influence. The fall of the Jedi, is more of their fault. In the PT, we see the Jedi who have withdrawn from the galaxy at large, abandoning their outposts on other planets. They become part of the Republic government, first as an arm of the judiciary branch, and then later as generals in the Grand Army of the Republic. Gone are the outposts of Jedi helping those far out in the galaxy, gone are the wandering Wayseekers, who don't report to the council.

Darth Vader had no attachment. Anakin did. Which is why once Luke shows up, Vader reacts in an emotional way, that leads to him to returning to Anakin Skywalker, saving Luke and tossing the Emperor down the shaft.

Yoda making it out okay, doesn't change the point. He shows emotional attachments. Luke passes his test in Cloud City. He still has attachments. What makes a Jedi a Jedi is how even with their feelings, they do not fall to the dark side, they don't give in. That is different then your completely inaccurate claim that he's super strong because he has no attachment. He wouldn't see those things, he wouldn't be effected by them if he had no attachment. If Yoda was how you painted him, he'd walk through, completely unbothered. He isn't. He reacts, in a very visceral manner.

As to Yoda's strength. He's strong in the Force, but not all powerful.. He couldn't beat the Emperor. Others did. He didn't discover the ability to retain identity after death. That was Qui-Gon. Yoda's strength comes from his age, which comes with wisdom, added to his race being naturally attuned to the Force, thanks to high midichlorian counts. Yeah, I said it. It's canon.

Just from where I am coming from after Midnight Horizon, I do think Luke failed his test at Cloud City. The thing with Jedi and attachments is, yes, they form attachments. They are sentient beings, you can't deny that. The problem is that Luke placed those attachments above his present situation, which was training. He interrupted his training to run off and fail saving his friends at Cloud City. In Midnight Horizon, Kantam Sy and Zeen Mrala both receive a vision of someone they love in danger, in another part of the galaxy. But, they do not abandon they fight they are in to save her, they "give up the attachment" to focus on the task in front of them, instead of placing the attachment ahead of their current task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"