The Mandalorian Chapter Ten Spoiler Discussion

And again... If this episode had given us something, anything that revealed more of the mysteries or pushed the characters and the series obvious overarching plot forward we wouldn't be lazer focused on how the egg **** didn't land as the creators thought it would.

"Swarthy"?

Da fug?

Not sure where he was going with that.

Listen, I get the child is a little kid and has the mind of a toddler and he'll eat anything, but to repeatedly go back to that joke and just have it there as a superficial joke was really dark and it wasn't funny the third time. I get what they were going for but it didn't work.

I kinda wonder what Pascal would make of the "swarthy" comment.

To play devil's advocate, I can understand Pablo Hidalgo being a little guarded and defensive in regards to fandom in general, not to mention the outright insanity and overreactions from the fandom over the last five years. I can see why he takes offense to criticism, but I think he's being too hypersensitive about.

His tweets here were an extreme overreaction. I don't think people are trashing the show, but basically your audience is telling you the jokes with the eggs didn't land.

Yes, I can recognize these were unfertilized eggs and meant to just be jokes, but the audience didn't really find it funny because they empathized with the Frog Lady.

This isn't exactly THE RANCOR HAD KIDS, THE WAMPA HAD A FAMILY, or WE EAT CHICKEN EGGS EVERY DAY. Also, chickens aren't sentient.

I more than understand Pablo having issues with the fandom. It is full of terrible people. His job has been **** ever since Clone Wars. But dear god, he just showed some ugly sides of himself. That Welfare Queen joke is just vile.

And again... If this episode had given us something, anything that revealed more of the mysteries or pushed the characters and the series obvious overarching plot forward we wouldn't be lazer focused on how the egg **** didn't land as the creators thought it would.

Please. Have you met the fandom?

My favourite genre of tweets this year is people making mild criticisms and people involved with these franchises overreacting and making it a way bigger deal than it would be without them.
b4Pk9yv.gif

Last edited:
True.

Still they had a lot of people on pins and needles with the way that they ended the chapter nine. I can't understand how they wouldn't realize that this story was NOT what anyone wanted to see after you give us Boba ****ing Fett as the last moment of the premiere episode.

And yeah... Swarthy? Welfare Queen?

It's leaning like a tower in Italy towards something pretty ugly.

I more than understand Pablo having issues with the fandom. It is full of terrible people. His job has been **** ever since Clone Wars. But dear god, he just showed some ugly sides of himself. That Welfare Queen joke is just vile.

Yeah, the issue with Pablo, is he's a bit of an idiot. The fandom can suck, but in this conversation, he is showing himself to be similar to the worst parts of the fandom, which is ****ing disgusting imo.

Pablo Hidalgo has always come off as a pretentious a-hole so this isn’t surprising
Most certainly. Which is why people make fun of him. This however, is not funny and if he ended up frozen in carbonite, I wouldn't be sad about it.

For the three people who might care, I finally edited the first post with my thoughts. That it took this long is probably telling. :funny:

Also it seems that part of Hidalgo's comments were directed at a colleague, Tricia Barr who's written a number of the Star Wars encyclopedia-type books. I like her tweet thread.

xYKqsQWCj57NXVUDtaVhDZ.jpg

Oh boy, here we go.

For one thing, I'm not going to advocate for Hidalgo to get fired or lose his job over this. I think we have enough of that in today's society. That said, he should know better by now, even if you set your account to private, other people can still find those tweets.

I know there are probably a lot of alt-right Fandom Menace schmucks out there who would celebrate Hidalgo getting fired over this. But it would be amusing if his successor was someone who was even more against their delicate sensibilities.

It's sort of like if Kathleen Kennedy stepped down. OK, you're happy she's gone, but then who is going to replace her, and is that person going to do the job you want them to do?

I would just say Hidalgo takes a breath looks over all this and takes it as a teachable moment. I'm not even saying apologize but just you know recognize that not all criticism is TOXIC criticism.

xYKqsQWCj57NXVUDtaVhDZ.jpg

Oh boy, here we go.

For one thing, I'm not going to advocate for Hidalgo to get fired or lose his job over this. I think we have enough of that in today's society. That said, he should know better by now, even if you set your account to private, other people can still find those tweets.

I know there are probably a lot of alt-right Fandom Menace schmucks out there who would celebrate Hidalgo getting fired over this. But it would be amusing if his successor was someone who was even more against their delicate sensibilities.

It's sort of like if Kathleen Kennedy stepped down. OK, you're happy she's gone, but then who is going to replace her, and is that person going to do the job you want them to do?

I would just say Hidalgo takes a breath looks over all this and takes it as a teachable moment. I'm not even saying apologize but just you know recognize that not all criticism is TOXIC criticism.
As a leftist social justice Jedi, I'd celebrate like an Ewok on death sticks if he lost his job. The "issues" with Kennedy have little to do with how she actually runs the company or her own personal conduct. It's because she's a woman. Pablo though? Fundamentally different imo.

True.

Still they had a lot of people on pins and needles with the way that they ended the chapter nine. I can't understand how they wouldn't realize that this story was NOT what anyone wanted to see after you give us Boba ****ing Fett as the last moment of the premiere episode.

And yeah... Swarthy? Welfare Queen?

It's leaning like a tower in Italy towards something pretty ugly.

I'm not even that upset over not following up on Boba Fett in episode 3. I didn't even hate the episode it was just more of a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 for me. But I do feel like we should be allowed to have valid criticisms without being told we have a lack of a sense of humor or whatever.

I mean the show's not Rick & Morty.

As a leftist social justice Jedi, I'd celebrate like an Ewok on death sticks if he lost his job. The "issues" with Kennedy have little to do with how she actually runs the company or her own personal conduct. It's because she's a woman. Pablo though? Fundamentally different imo.

Fair enough, I'm not going to take sides. But I am going to sit back and watch this whole dren storm play out. Tricia Barr did just turn it into an official dren storm.

GranularTeemingHarborseal-size_restricted.gif

Have at it fandom. Place your bets.

Fair enough, I'm not going to take sides. But I am going to sit back and watch this whole dren storm play out. Tricia Barr did just turn it into an official dren storm.

GranularTeemingHarborseal-size_restricted.gif

Have at it fandom. Place your bets.
He isn't getting fired, but I do love your attitude towards watching it play out, Vile. :funny:

I'm not even that upset over not following up on Boba Fett in episode 3. I didn't even hate the episode it was just more of a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 for me. But I do feel like we should be allowed to have valid criticisms without being told we have a lack of a sense of humor or whatever.

I mean the show's not Rick & Morty.
Yeah, I never expected Boba to just come back. I think I said this in another thread, but the Boba thing is clearly one of those situations that simmers for a few episodes, before he pops back up for a "big episode". Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't seem him until the last two episodes.

Also a bit of fun speculation, but what if the guy everyone tells us isn't a Mando, is the one who ends up with the darksaber? :eek:

And Hidalgo himself is creating some of that toxicity. His attitude does not help.
It rarely ever does. I feel like there's this constant desire to frame any and all criticism, even something as mild as "this joke isn't very funny and is completely at odds with your attempts to build empathy for the frog lady" as some kind of bigoted attack from far right sources. Even someone saying they felt it reflected not having enough women in the room is then framed as some kind of weird attack on women angle. I feel like there's a lot of throwing up false targets to obfuscate the point instead of, you know... just conceding the joke wasn't very funny.

By the way Vile, I am now imagining your avatar sitting with popcorn and a bunch of beers watching the Mando tonight, and I can't unsee it. :funny:

By the way Vile, I am now imagining your avatar sitting with popcorn and a bunch of beers watching the Mando tonight, and I can't unsee it. :funny:

Yeah, I'm definitely up and getting everything set up for Mandalorian right now. So I'm in that kind of mood.

I know I said I called the Child a Sith Lord earlier, if it wasn't clear, I was exaggerating when I said that. It was a joke, but if that joke didn't land I apologize on that.

I think the gags were just a gag, but the Child just now happens to be eating the eggs of an endangered sentient species, UH OH. I don't think the writers were being malicious. It was just slightly tone deaf.

Besides the egg gag, my real issue with the episode was the ending. I found the resolution with the New Republic pilots to just be way too convenient and simple. I kind of felt like it undercut the big dramatic moment with Frog Lady jury rigging a translator to tell the Mandalorian to uphold his part of the deal. Not to mention they were in that mess in the first place to keep her eggs safe and traveling at sublight so her eggs wouldn't die. That's why this was a weaker episode to me. Parts of it were just clunky IMO. Not a bad episode, but just kind of clunky.

It rarely ever does. I feel like there's this constant desire to frame any and all criticism, even something as mild as "this joke isn't very funny and is completely at odds with your attempts to build empathy for the frog lady" as some kind of bigoted attack from far right sources. Even someone saying they felt it reflected not having enough women in the room is then framed as some kind of weird attack on women angle. I feel like there's a lot of throwing up false targets to obfuscate the point instead of, you know... just conceding the joke wasn't very funny.

He didn't even have to talk about that, you know. There's no rule that said he has to tweet about the controversy.

I'm well aware of how tempting social media can be and how you really feel you have to or want to say something, but I've also learned it's OK to show restraint on social media as well even if you have that one thought on the tip of your tongue you really want to put out there.

I will say in Hidalgo's defense, there are times I've seen things on social media where I really had to fight back my urge to say something and get my two cents in. Even when I feel like I'm so in the right, but you feel emotional and angry and you want to lash out. I've felt that a lot in the last 8 months because this pandemic has been bloody miserable.

What helps me get through it, as bad as I feel sometimes, I know for others it's even worse.

Yeah, I'm definitely up and getting everything set up for Mandalorian right now. So I'm in that kind of mood.

I know I said I called the Child a Sith Lord earlier, if it wasn't clear, I was exaggerating when I said that. It was a joke, but if that joke didn't land I apologize on that.

I think the gags were just a gag, but the Child just now happens to be eating the eggs of an endangered sentient species, UH OH. I don't think the writers were being malicious. It was just slightly tone deaf.

Besides the egg gag, my real issue with the episode was the ending. I found the resolution with the New Republic pilots to just be way too convenient and simple. I kind of felt like it undercut the big dramatic moment with Frog Lady jury rigging a translator to tell the Mandalorian to uphold his part of the deal. Not to mention they were in that mess in the first place to keep her eggs safe and traveling at sublight so her eggs wouldn't die. That's why this was a weaker episode to me. Parts of it were just clunky IMO. Not a bad episode, but just kind of clunky.
I think a lot of this can be traced back to the fact that this episode was directed by Peyton Reed. It definitely felt like him. A guy who makes movies I like quite a bit at first, but I find to have rather diminishing returns on re-watch.

Hopefully the new episode gives us some movement on either the search for Mandos/Imperials/Jedi/Boba.

I don’t need massive plot movement every episode, but I don’t know that two side quests back to back will sit well.
I've got my fingers really crossed on tonight's episode. Given I'm not looking forward to episodes 4 and 5, it'd be a real downer if episodes 2-5 ended up being a bit of a wash for me personally.

I think a lot of this can be traced back to the fact that this episode was directed by Peyton Reed. It definitely felt like him. A guy who makes movies I like quite a bit at first, but I find to have rather diminishing returns on re-watch.

Yeah, I'm not a Peyton Reed hater or anything, but I have no urge to go back and rewatch Ant-Man or Ant-Man & The Wasp, while I did mildly enjoy them on their first viewing. They just felt like Uber Ride connection stops to where you really wanted to go.

One thing I will celebrate Peyton Reed for, he co-wrote Back to the Future: The Ride for Universal Studios Parks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"