The Mandalorian Chapter Ten Spoiler Discussion

Yea, I like concepts like that. I have a somewhat similar concept in some of the backwater worlds in my interstellar empire, and the idea that even this seemingly iron fisted military dictatorship can't control everything and some worlds govern themselves fairly autonomously and don't really see a lot of its "presence".

Well, even Rebels basically said there's precedence for this. After Ezra and the Ghost crew kicked the Empire off of Lothal, they never came back. Based on Filoni's comments at the finale premiere, he gave the impression the Ghost's stand scared him and he was focused on Luke rather than retaking Lothal.

So basically, Lothal remained free of Imperial oppression and presence from that time through the rest of the civil war. But Lothal was a more major planet with a lot better resources.

With that in mind, it could totally work that there were even some backwater planets that were just so under the radar the Empire just didn't pay attention to them. Or they were so barren or unassuming, no one cared about them other than the people who were already there.

Well, even Rebels basically said there's precedence for this. After Ezra and the Ghost crew kicked the Empire off of Lothal, they never came back. Based on Filoni's comments at the finale premiere, he gave the impression the Ghost's stand scared him and he was focused on Luke rather than retaking Lothal.

So basically, Lothal remained free of Imperial oppression and presence from that time through the rest of the civil war. But Lothal was a more major planet with a lot better resources.

With that in mind, it could totally work that there were even some backwater planets that were just so under the radar the Empire just didn't pay attention to them. Or they were so barren or unassuming, no one cared about them other than the people who were already there.

Yea, one of my protagonists is from this backwater desert planet that sort of got more or less abandoned by the imperium after the closest jumpgate was destroyed and it was cut off from trade routes and no one cared enough to fix it basically, and it has these old atmospheric processors that were intended to control the weather but they're long fallen into disrepair and no one ever came to fix them and they're just junk for scavengers. I like world-building touches like that.

Yea, one of my protagonists is from this backwater desert planet that sort of got more or less abandoned by the imperium after the closest jumpgate was destroyed and it was cut off from trade routes and no one cared enough to fix it basically, and it has these old atmospheric processors that were intended to control the weather but they're long fallen into disrepair and no one ever came to fix them and they're just junk for scavengers. I like world-building touches like that.

Yeah, it's touches like that really build out the mythology and give stories nice texture.

Do we have a name or location of the planet the Razor Crest crashed on?

Im still impressed of the production value Disney+ delivers here, specially in compare to 85 % of the weak netflix shows.

Yeah, I just came to say that the VFX in the first two episodes have been jaw-dropping IMO. 100% movie-worthy.

Also, the egg debates....LOL. If this is the stuff the Star Wars fanbase is going to go to war over now...I guess it's an improvement.

Would not call it war so much as disagreement. Though it is a dramatic improvement on some of the previous wars.

And now I've seen Pablo Hidalgo's tweets in reaction to the reaction of the Gizmo eating eggs bit, and now I'm sad...

Yeah, I just came to say that the VFX in the first two episodes have been jaw-dropping IMO. 100% movie-worthy.

Also, the egg debates....LOL. If this is the stuff the Star Wars fanbase is going to go to war over now...I guess it's an improvement.

The Krayt sequence was rather jaw dropping and while season one had some rather amazing VFX sequences this was by far the most spectacular.

And to think... ILM is gonna likely start using this method for the MCU films starting with LOVE AND THUNDER.

Also add my voice to those pointing out the mythological resonance of the armored knights slaying the dragon motif of the episode.

George Lucas created this whole dilemma and confusion, when he had Han Solo not believe in the force at all in A New Hope, but then make Jedi these super famous world wide policemen in the prequels.

The original trilogy really does read like the time between the present and the fall of the Jedi was intended to be a *lot* longer. If there were more like 40-60 years since the last time the Jedi were a public institution, the plausibility issues would be better, if not completely fixed. Note that this would require the Jedi to enter obscurity before the Clone Wars, but Anakin Skywalker could be a publicly known war hero during the Clone Wars without necessarily being a publicly famous Jedi. Plus, there's more leeway for a present state of "Lots of people don't believe the Jedi really exist" if one or two generations back, the status quo was "Jedi are generally rare, private, and mostly act in obscure and secretive manners", versus "Jedi are the poster child instruments of govermental authority".

I kind of feel like there are a few levels of difference from the way Return of the Jedi depicted the Rancor and the Frog Lady and her eggs.

Phil Szostak's comments reinforce my belief that they all thought it was funny and they didn't have any self-awareness that the joke of "The Child will eat anything and starts eating Frog Lady's eggs," might not land with some people.

For whatever reason, there was a lack of cognitive dissonance in the final edit not realizing, "Hey we are really selling the plight of Frog Lady trying to save her unfertilized eggs so she can finally start a family with her husband and save her family line," and "Hahah, look at that mischievous scamp The Child eating those eggs! He'll eat whatever he can get his hands on!"

Look, even standup comedians will tweak their acts in certain regions for various audiences. I realize that jokes are jokes, but some comedians realize that some jokes just aren't going to play in certain cities and states. And sometimes it just comes down to people maybe not understanding regional vernacular or wording.

Last edited:
Pablo Hidalgo's Twitter has always been embarrassing and just a place to whine about fans who have even the mildest criticism, but this might take the cake.

I can only shake my head at Pablo. There’s no need to defend every single aspect of every single piece of Star Wars media, especially when it’s ultimately something like this which was the case of a flawed gag that bombed.

I can only shake my head at Pablo. There’s no need to defend every single aspect of every single piece of Star Wars media, especially when it’s ultimately something like this which was the case of a flawed gag that bombed.

The thing is, that isn't defending the joke. That is lashing out at criticism. I understand that dealing with the fandom in the kind of position he has is a *****. But good lord, those tweets shows he needs to step down.

And it makes it clear just how much they are hearing about the criticisms of Carano and Dawson.

Browsing around out of curiosity how this was going over led me to a post I thought was pretty funny, so

The thing is, that isn't defending the joke. That is lashing out at criticism. I understand that dealing with the fandom in the kind of position he has is a *****. But good lord, those tweets shows he needs to step down.

And it makes it clear just how much they are hearing about the criticisms of Carano and Dawson.

Clearly it must be the fans fault for not finding everything in Star Wars 10/10 amazing :o

To play devil's advocate, I can understand Pablo Hidalgo being a little guarded and defensive in regards to fandom in general, not to mention the outright insanity and overreactions from the fandom over the last five years. I can see why he takes offense to criticism, but I think he's being too hypersensitive about.

His tweets here were an extreme overreaction. I don't think people are trashing the show, but basically your audience is telling you the jokes with the eggs didn't land.

Yes, I can recognize these were unfertilized eggs and meant to just be jokes, but the audience didn't really find it funny because they empathized with the Frog Lady.

This isn't exactly THE RANCOR HAD KIDS, THE WAMPA HAD A FAMILY, or WE EAT CHICKEN EGGS EVERY DAY. Also, chickens aren't sentient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"