Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom General Discussion thread

Not surprising. Honestly should get rid of any post credit scenes unless it’s Aquaman saying “So long, and thanks for all the fish”

Honestly watching Black Adam, Shazam 2 and The Flash with all the cameos from the DCEU era actors is so weird.

But these movies aren't making any money at the boX office. So I'm just hoping abruptly canceling DCEU will lead to a better DCU in the neXt 5 years. However I have zero faith in James Gunn, so only time will tell.

I hope Aquaman 2 is released this year, just for the fact that they could finally end DCEU this year instead of delaying it to 2024.

We're now less than 3 months from release and we haven't even gotten a single still from the film.

Yeah look…let’s be honest, lots of dc films are flopping. So they’re probably constantly rejigging their strategy. Hopefully it all comes out ok in the end. Poor aqua man never catches a break

We're now less than 3 months from release and we haven't even gotten a single still from the film.
Not less than three months, it's coming out December 20. All DC films this year started their marketing around four months before the release dates of each film, so it's not that far off. Also they may still not know whether they'll delay it or not. But yeah, I don't see this having a heavy promotion anyway.

and to be fair, it was around this time that No Way home's first trailer launched and that had more or less the same release date.

Not less than three months, it's coming out December 20. All DC films this year started their marketing around four months before the release dates of each film, so it's not that far off. Also they may still not know whether they'll delay it or not. But yeah, I don't see this having a heavy promotion anyway.

For what it's worth, since August 30, this film has the shortest window between its first teaser/trailer and its release date of any film in the DCEU.
I know, these is kind of a get-a-life stats, but we're sure entering territory where this is nothing else but a huge red flag. Discussions about the state of the DCEU aside, the first film was one of its biggest success and that sequel is in production for something like 3 years. We should have had something a long time ago. There wasn't even a poster...

and to be fair, it was around this time that No Way home's first trailer launched and that had more or less the same release date.

Come to think of it, I don't think the two films are comparable.

NWH's official marketing got off to a "late" start, but it was completely compensated for by all the speculation around the film's much-anticipated cameos. Disney had months of free promotion here and it was everywhere.

Aquaman 2, meanwhile, only makes headlines for all the wrong reasons. While these may not reach the general public in too big a way, all those negative rumors will ultimately catch up with them once the marketing machine finally gets going because Warner really failed by not taking the lead in trying to create a bit of early buzz to counterbalance that bad press (and inevitable critical failure, you don't do that many rounds of reshoot for a movie that don't have objective problems).
With the whole live-action DC franchise half-dead and about to be rebooted, the momentum of the first Aquaman film killed by the too loud silence surrounding the sequel's production, and now a strike paralyzing the entire profession, this film simply has no trump card up its sleeve. It's just too late to do anything but dump it without making too much waves (pun intended).

Really, I can't see any scenario in which this film would do well.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, since August 30, this film has the shortest window between its first teaser/trailer and its release date of any film in the DCEU.
I know, these is kind of a get-a-life stats, but we're sure entering territory where this is nothing else but a huge red flag. Discussions about the state of the DCEU aside, the first film was one of its biggest success and that sequel is in production for something like 3 years. We should have had something a long time ago. There wasn't even a poster...
I mean this thing has had what? Two-three sets of reshoots after some awful test screenings, while describing it a mess production for a long time now. I think it's been known for a while that this is going to be a disaster of a film and after poor box office performances of every DC film this year, alongside with an ongoing strike that may cause delay for the film, I don't think it's any wonder why they haven't promoted it yet.

I'm just saying that their previous films this year took a long while til they get the marketing campaign off. I remember reading similar things from fans about how late they were with The Flash and Blue Beetle, so if it got a trailer this week it would still be within a similar timetable.

But at the same time I expect them to spend as little as possible to this, knowing full well that it's going to bomb too. They want to be done with this universe and they know they have a terrible film in their hands with no prospects of doing any serious money. This will be more apparent in the coming months.

Dont get me wrong, this thing is most likely DOA and WB knows it. They're probably still piecing together the film as we speak and trying to figure out how theyre gonna sell it. And they're definitely not going to put a of of marketing money into it.

Are they going to write it write it off? The movie is supposed to come out in three and a half months.

I'm thinking they either want to spend as little as possible to market this at the last moment or they haven't decided if they want to delay it because of the strike. Or both. But probably the former.

I never thought the Aquaman costume would look this good in live-action. And it helps a lot that Jason Momoa is playing him. For that reason alone, the box office is gonna be a lot higher than The Flash.

Would be a shame if this movie actually turned out good / became a success, and we didn't get any more of him in the role.

One thing though thats giving me pause, i know its just a teaser but I'm PRETTY sure at least half of the shots in it were from the first Aquaman.

One thing though thats giving me pause, i know its just a teaser but I'm PRETTY sure at least half of the shots in it were from the first Aquaman.

Pretty sure only the first shot is from the original Aquaman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"