Avengers 5 General News and Discussion Thread

He Who Remains allowed himself to be killed in Loki, and Timely sacrificed himself in S2
Not exactly an ass-kickin'

but Ant-Man, yes, they shouldn't have had Ant-Man beat Kang

That said, there's still plenty of ways to redeem him, they shouldn't tuck tail and run from the character
Not every villain needs to be a Thanos style heavyweight bruiser

Having a villain who keeps dying yet can't be beat is an interesting concept if done right

I think had Kang beaten Scott and escape at the end of Quantumania, I think the situation would be better received. But it is what it is, this is the situation were in now. Hopefully they can steer into a better direction/story.

Avengers vs X-men they’ve already introduced Beast and I’m sure with Deadpool 3 they can do another stinger that will set it up
It's like this was predicting the future:

I think had Kang beaten Scott and escape at the end of Quantumania, I think the situation would be better received. But it is what it is, this is the situation were in now. Hopefully they can steer into a better direction/story.

Even if the ending had been different, the movie would have probably still under-performed and that was apparently enough for Marvel to panic. I gotta say, I've lost all hype for this movie. If Marvel is now at a point where they're willing to change direction on a dime the moment they falter then it's hard to take any of their future plans seriously.

That reactionary thinking is what killed the Star Wars sequel trilogy. "Some people complained about Rey's background not being important after all? We'll fix it by making Palpatine her grandfather!" "Some people didn't like that we killed Snoke? We'll just bring Palpatine back as the master manipulative villain. Problem solved!"

I mean something needed to change, but maybe recasting Kang and making him a stronger villain would have been a lot easier than trying to come up with a new massive event story with a new villain at the eleventh hour.

That reactionary thinking is what killed the Star Wars sequel trilogy. "Some people complained about Rey's background not being important after all? We'll fix it by making Palpatine her grandfather!" "Some people didn't like that we killed Snoke? We'll just bring Palpatine back as the master manipulative villain. Problem solved!"

I mean something needed to change, but maybe recasting Kang and making him a stronger villain would have been a lot easier than trying to come up with a new massive event story with a new villain at the eleventh hour.

This 100%. Quantumania and Loki have really been the only two projects building up to the big showdown and now they don't matter. I really hope they don't place the burden of setting up their new version of Avengers 5 on the Fantastic Four movie. Realistically, that's the only property that could do the heavy lifting but not in their first movie.

Just my opinion but: good riddance to bad rubbish. Kang was dumb and boring, and a bad decision from the get-go. Majors getting in trouble with the law saved them a boat load of money by preventing another bomb in Kang Dynasty. Plenty of better ideas out there, including in this thread. Do them instead.

The title always reminded me of that soap opera Dynasty, which was weird.

I think a movie filled with thousand variants of Kang versus the Avengers/Mcu characters was interesting, if they were planning that to be the premise of Avengers 5.

The concept of having countless minions in place of a main villain seems extremely boring and uninteresting.

The concept of having countless minions in place of a main villain seems extremely boring and uninteresting.
Would only have worked for me if all the minions were individually dangerous.

I will say what I was saying for a long time... The should've focused on three characters that were extremely popular and build upon them the next MCU history, instead they basically forced som charaters (especially Captain Marvel) into the spotlight and it didn't work at all.

If the new phase was all about time and multiverse, it was perfect time to bring together Strange, Wanda and Loki and mate them new core of the Avengers (I even remember that Strange was supposed to be the new leader after RDJ departure, it was long time ago), they were popular, strong and charismatic, but they wasted it, Strange became a joke, completely different character, Loki was great but they forced his sudden change from watching montage of his alternative life and Wanda became a villain.

What we've got instead? Nothing, no core characters, I like Falcon but Mackie isn't "the leader" type of guy who can carry lead role like Evas or RDJ. Who next? Captain Marvel? Shuri? Nope. They only have Spider-Man really...

They didn't build up core characters, they didn't even choose them really, because they introduce too many new/young characters without actually building any relationships between them, no Avengers movie before big event Avengers movie. They shold introduce FF right after Endgame and build them up... Feige really f up.

They should make Loki the next villain, make it like something something time magic forced him to destroy some world to make others survived and heroes of sacred timeline want to prevent it... I don't know.

I will say what I was saying for a long time... The should've focused on three characters that were extremely popular and build upon them the next MCU history, instead they basically forced som charaters (especially Captain Marvel) into the spotlight and it didn't work at all.

If the new phase was all about time and multiverse, it was perfect time to bring together Strange, Wanda and Loki and mate them new core of the Avengers (I even remember that Strange was supposed to be the new leader after RDJ departure, it was long time ago), they were popular, strong and charismatic, but they wasted it, Strange became a joke, completely different character, Loki was great but they forced his sudden change from watching montage of his alternative life and Wanda became a villain.

What we've got instead? Nothing, no core characters, I like Falcon but Mackie isn't "the leader" type of guy who can carry lead role like Evas or RDJ. Who next? Captain Marvel? Shuri? Nope. They only have Spider-Man really...

They didn't build up core characters, they didn't even choose them really, because they introduce too many new/young characters without actually building any relationships between them, no Avengers movie before big event Avengers movie. They shold introduce FF right after Endgame and build them up... Feige really f up.

They should make Loki the next villain, make it like something something time magic forced him to destroy some world to make others survived and heroes of sacred timeline want to prevent it... I don't know.
If Chadwick Boseman were still with us, there's no doubt in my mind that T'Challa would've been a lynchpin of the post-Endgame MCU. His passing really portended the MCU facing trouble going forward.

Last edited:

If the box office isn't good with Kang as the title character, then he had to be depushed. Likely a secondary villain now to maybe Beyonder.

I think the big problem for Marvel isn't the characters per se, but the writing. Captain Marvel, Strange, Wanda, and Loki could have been a great core, but were, I think, misused in later efforts. Had the scripts been better, I think we would have had a nice transition to FF and X-men.

I know there's a lot of criticism of CM, but the first movie, while not great, was a very good effort and I think worked pretty well. Had it been followed by a stronger effort, I think it would have changed much of the landscape we now see.

Given the strength of the scripts, there really weren't any characters who would have stood out.

That was my problem with Quantumania. Kang looked like a normal weak villain who got his fair share of punches in and then lost at the end. If there had been greater consequences like Kang killing Hank Pym and then getting away, I think that could've been a better story going forward to the Kang Dynasty.

That was my problem with Quantumania. Kang looked like a normal weak villain who got his fair share of punches in and then lost at the end. If there had been greater consequences like Kang killing Hank Pym and then getting away, I think that could've been a better story going forward to the Kang Dynasty.
Per the leaked plot summary, that was the original ending but it got changed about a month before the movie premiered.

Per the leaked plot summary, that was the original ending but it got changed about a month before the movie premiered.
Are there any rumours as to why they made that change? Was it the stuff with Majors coming out or something else?

Are there any rumours as to why they made that change? Was it the stuff with Majors coming out or something else?

All the Majors stuff happened after Quantumania came out. So it had to be something else. I'm interested as to why they changed it last minute as well.

I don't know why they do not just recast Kang The Conqueror and Marvel continues to set up Kang to be the new Thanos level threat in this universe? Jonathan Majors can easily be recast like they are making it so damn complicated when it doesn't have to be

Like NewYorkSpider said the Majors stuff didn't happen until a month after the movie came out. As for why, not sure. Given how close the ending was reshot to it releasing, if I had to guess maybe it was changed from test viewing feedback. Also it's possible some may have though the ending was too similar to the previous movie. In addition to Kang escaping, both Scott and Hope were going to be trapped in the Quantum Realm, ending on a with Cassie and Hank trying to find ways to bring them back.

And on a side note, for whatever it's worth, back in 2020 there were rumors that Rudd was helping write a script for Ant-Man 3 that focused solely on MODOK and AIM as the villains, no Kang at all prior to Loveness getting hired.

I don't know why they do not just recast Kang The Conqueror and Marvel continues to set up Kang to be the new Thanos level threat in this universe? Jonathan Majors can easily be recast like they are making it so damn complicated when it doesn't have to be
That’s what I’d do. Going to be complicated to change course in a big way at this point.

I remember reading a few days ago that Colman Domingo would be up to play Kang and I think he'd be a good replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"