Avengers 5 General News and Discussion Thread

Hope they find someone soon. Been seeing some folks suggesting John Boyega and he wouldn't be a bad choice.

Edit: oh nevermind. I'm sure whoever they pick won't be rushed and underdeveloped to high heaven. Guess that means this movie's canned. :dry:

I've seen two reports. One, they'll recast and continue with the Kang storyline. Two, they're shifting gears and going with a different villain for the future. Obviously it's going to be one of these.

I just hope they recast. I feel like they're going to rush Doom onto the scene too quickly.

I've seen two reports. One, they'll recast and continue with the Kang storyline. Two, they're shifting gears and going with a different villain for the future. Obviously it's going to be one of these.

I just hope they recast. I feel like they're going to rush Doom onto the scene too quickly.

Thanos had a total of 2 mins of screen time in the MCU before his arrival in Infinity War.

Two 30-second mid-credit scenes (The Avengers and Age of Ultron) and a 1 minute scene in GOTG.

Doom can work as long as they build him up properly through mentions and small appearances here and there beforehand.

Who remembers Daniel Kaluuya in BP?
Not many - he’ll be great as Kang

Well…I guess Doom is definitely happening now!

you know who would direct a great Doom? Sam raimi. Imagine him doing with Doom what he did when Doctor Octopus first started his first solar project

Thanos had a total of 2 mins of screen time in the MCU before his arrival in Infinity War.

Two 30-second mid-credit scenes (The Avengers and Age of Ultron) and a 1 minute scene in GOTG.

Doom can work as long as they build him up properly through mentions and small appearances here and there beforehand.

Ehhhhh, I massively disagree. Doom is a character that would need an entire saga of build-up. You can't just put him halfway through a saga and expect that to work with no issue whatsoever, especially taking into account the quality of the MCU's output post-Endgame.

For consistency's sake, I'd keep Kang but recast someone else in the role (easiest thing to do given the variant element). They've spent way too much time building up this multiversal war angle only to throw it away in an anti-climactic fashion? Might as well scrap Secret Wars and the multiverse altogether since fans are growing tiresome of the latter if we're going with that logic.

After seeing the fan art of Denzel as an older Kang, I'd absolutely love that

(this if anyone hasn't seen it-)
denzel-washington-as-kang-the-conqueror-concept-v0-mlf8n5xfc06c1.jpg

Nobody would care that he looks slightly different if its an older version
Have him show up and obliterate the council of Kangs (All with their helmets so we don't have to see Majors)
And reveal he is the true "Conqueror"

Dunno if he'd be willing, but he'd only have to sign on for like 3 years and two movies, not too big an ask, and Marvel is throwing money at actors these days, for better or worse (in this case better)

I'm not sure that would be enough. A big aspect to making Doom work is establishing his relationship to Reed Richards. Which would probably require a movie or two.

I think we can move on from Kang there’s too much bad publicity associated with the character…. and if they do continue using Kang it will be a constant reminder of what happened before. Kang was already defeated in Ant man and Loki already did a good job by telling the audience the TVA are rounding up the Variants.

Marvel needs to Look for a new villain/story but I do think Doom is too soon and will feel rushed they need someone else but there in lies the problem who else is left? Recasting Kang is the only other option but I feel like Marvel is over Kang.

I guess they can do a proper Kree/Skrulls war

On that note, I feel Secret Invasion screwed the pooch of generating any interest on the Skrulls. I assume Feige still wants to build up to Secret Wars, so maybe the Beyonder?

Also, should the title of this thread be changed now if it's all but confirmed Kang is being dropped as a character?

On that note, I feel Secret Invasion screwed the pooch of generating any interest on the Skrulls. I assume Feige still wants to build up to Secret Wars, so maybe the Beyonder?

Also, should the title of this thread be changed now if it's all but confirmed Kang is being dropped as a character?
Interestingly, it has been rumored that they were going to reinvent the Beyonder as a Kang variant. Granted, I should think that'd be relatively easy to change if that were ever the case.

I think we can move on from Kang there’s too much bad publicity associated with the character…. and if they do continue using Kang it will be a constant reminder of what happened before. Kang was already defeated in Ant man and Loki already did a good job by telling the audience the TVA are rounding up the Variants.

Marvel needs to Look for a new villain/story but I do think Doom is too soon and will feel rushed they need someone else but there in lies the problem who else is left? Recasting Kang is the only other option but I feel like Marvel is over Kang.

I guess they can do a proper Kree/Skrulls war
Eh. If they get a new actor for Kang who will add to the hype, then who really cares about the recast. The recast of Hulk/War Machine were so noticeable yet it ultimately didn't matter to the audience.

Think it’s totally different scenarios Hulk and War Machine were part of a ensemble Kang is the Main villain

Think it’s totally different scenarios Hulk and War Machine were part of a ensemble Kang is the Main villain
Hulk is one of the Avengers and has appeared in several films since TIH, and still around.

I don't think Kang has made a big impression yet that a recast isn't a viable option. In 2026, the general public won't remember the fired actor. If the movie is good, thats what people care of.

They have the perfect opportunity to make his recast be part of the story this time around, since they're dealing with the multiverse. Also Kang didn't blow anyone away in any of his appearances.

I want Marvel Studios to redeem the character in Avengers 5.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they go with another villain.

I'm not sure what they do. Kang...hasn't looked good. The man was defeated by ants! Even without the Majors disaster it'd be tough. The choice with Kang was always questionable. Truly a quantity over quality decision. A million villains no one cares about will do about as well as one excellent vision in Thanos right? It's like going with Ultron...just worse. Recasting would be iffy. They've already shown way too many versions of Kang that are all Majors. I'm not sure it's worth it to recast and still run with Kang. As for Hulk and War Machine? Different times and situations. You can't compare to when Marvel actually had fan trust. Hulk especially wasn't anything since I'm not sure most actually recognize the previous incarnation of Hulk as actually being in the MCU. War Machine was a bit annoying, but it was a minor character at a time when Marvel was rocketing upwards. But this is the main villain of the current phases and fan trust is at an all time low.

The bigger issue is that the multiverse stuff doesn't feel centered. With Thanos it was nice and simple. He invaded Earth in the first Avengers movie. Sure, Loki led the army, but it was Thanos. Even if he didn't act directly he was all over events. But Kang feels less all over events than simply a guy that might take advantage of the existence of multiverses. I think the multiverse thing is itself an issue. Too many worlds, characters, and "replacements" of characters.

But where do you go otherwise? Need time and honestly focus across multiple phases for someone like Galactus. Dr. Doom...I'd also like to see more time given to him. Plus you know...need the Fantastic Four to both be there and be...good. The only choices here are to go back with Kang (which is questionable) or grab a random villain for a one movie appearance like Ultron was.

I mean, for all we know, Feige could still be considering scrapping the multiverse entirely because of the ever growing fatigue among fans and the general audience. Whether or not that happens we have yet to see, but I know the majority of people would be very happy about that.

Personally speaking, I'm on the same boat regarding Secret Wars and bringing back past incarnations of live-action Marvel movie characters would appeal to me on a fanboy type of level. I would not be fond of the idea of getting rid of the Multiverse Saga entirely because it would just reek of misguided damage control (and lord knows the MCU doesn't need to repeat how the DCEU was handled as a whole) and leave the franchise more directionless than it currently is.

Ironically enough, the storyline that Loki started with Kang and the multiversal war are one of the few things I've been invested in post-Endgame since mostly everything else left me feeling meh or underwhelmed quality wise.
Just my personal opinion, but I greatly dislike the idea of continually bringing back past versions of comic book movie characters.

Just my personal opinion, but I greatly dislike the idea of continually bringing back past versions of comic book movie characters.
It's not just you. It's cheap fan-service with little to no value beyond scrapping the barrel of nostalgia. I had a fun time with No Way Home and under the right circumstances I wouldn't object to seeing something similar again, but overall it has happened a lot and mostly poorly. What's done is done, trying to relive past days of glory prove that you have nothing interesting to show in the present and it won't even feel the same now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"