Daredevil Daredevil General Discussion Thread - Part 8

Yeah. I just don't see D+ making the same DD show. It's not really in their DNA. I suppose I could be surprised; and will be if they use the same take on DD.

I would expect us to see the rest of the returning cast, correct? Unless Disney’s gotta get Josh Gad in there as Foggy lol.

I could see MCU moving Daredevil away from the familiar faces of the Netflix series too though to cement the soft reboot of it all. Maybe Matt relocates to San Francisco after a long-rumored She-Hulk appearance and meets a whole new cast of characters.

Even in that small scene in NWH, he felt like the same ol Matt Murdock we’ve come to know and love. If you’re bringing Charlie Cox back to play the character, you stick with what made his performance so popular in the first place.

Season 3 was easily the best season to me.

I'm neither thrilled nor put off by this choice of writers. I don't think it can remotely live up to the Netflix version, but it could still be solid and enjoyable. I wouldn't mind something more inspired by Mark Waid's DD than Frank Miller's, tbh.

You're probably going to get that wish. I wasn't that fond of Waid's run. I can appreciate the more Silver Age influence and the attempt to not make it as dark, but Miller cracked the code to Daredevil that helped set him apart from just another Marvel superhero prior to his run. At the very least, it would be oddly inconsistent. People loved that Netflix show. Give them more of that.

From what I read of Zdarsky's run it's the next best thing since Brubaker. Daredevil is one of the fewer Marvel instances in the comics where the darker subject matter serves the character best. Why stray from that and make him like every other hero, especially given the same-ness of every Marvel product. Guardian Devil is more comic book-y which is fine, but it still deals in heavy subject matter that I have no faith in Marvel dealing with.

I would expect us to see the rest of the returning cast, correct? Unless Disney’s gotta get Josh Gad in there as Foggy lol.

I could see MCU moving Daredevil away from the familiar faces of the Netflix series too though to cement the soft reboot of it all. Maybe Matt relocates to San Francisco after a long-rumored She-Hulk appearance and meets a whole new cast of characters.

I really hope not. I don't want Daredevil anywhere near that embarrassing looking She-Hulk show.

I'm somewhat optimistic about this, but my expectations are still very much in check because I just don't think they will be able recapture the tone and atmosphere of the Netflix show.

I can be a lot more forgiving about the level of violence being toned down, but if its Matt Murdock being reduced to nothing but jokes and quips almost every second than I'm officially out.

I've enjoyed the majority of the Marvel/Disney Plus shows that we've gotten but I don't want to see that style or format being applied to something like DD which to me is still one of the best superhero shows of all-time.

Season's 1 and 3 were flawless IMO and even with all the problems Season 2 had I still put it head and shoulders above anything Marvel has put out recently on Disney Plus.

I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind if Marvel lost the rights to most of their characters and it went back to other companies to make them. Marvel's nose dive in quality post Endgame has been sharp and quick.

But, to your point, I don’t think No Way Home was anything special but the 2 minutes with Charlie Cox were great.

But, to your point, I don’t think No Way Home was anything special but the 2 minutes with Charlie Cox were great.
TBH, after a 2nd viewing of the Watts movies, I wasn't particularly impressed with any of them. They weren't horrible, but I don't think any of them were top shelf. The reunion angle was good for those into the nostalgia. After watching them again, I'm glad he bailed on the FF project. I still wonder if he bailed or got kind of pressured out.

Last edited:
lol oh no I thought it looked fun. Do I dare travel to the She-Hulk thread to see the reaction?

Sure, I'm just telling you what I thought. It looks pretty damned bad.

Yeah I'm sorry but Season 3 of Daredevil beats any of those Disney+ shows. No matter how expensive they look they just don't have that character-driven stuff that hooks you like the DD show did.

Seems like for all the money Disney invests in their shows, they cut costs on the writers. Daredevil did go through a few different creatives in just 3 seasons, so I guess I shouldn't fear change, but it's hard to feel confident over the new guys.

Seems like for all the money Disney invests in their shows, they cut costs on the writers. Daredevil did go through a few different creatives in just 3 seasons, so I guess I shouldn't fear change, but it's hard to feel confident over the new guys.
The way I see it, the Netflix series worked as proper 'classic' TV shows. Some were better than others, but they had the basics: arcs and episodes, beginnings, middles and ends. The Disney+ shows work more as "content" than TV shows. They are there to fill gaps. There's some good stuff there? Sure. But they don't work as episodic storytelling. There's not enough material/story that couldn't be told in a 2+ hour movie.

The way I see it, the Netflix series worked as proper 'classic' TV shows. Some were better than others, but they had the basics: arcs and episodes, beginnings, middles and ends. The Disney+ shows work more as "content" than TV shows. They are there to fill gaps. There's some good stuff there? Sure. But they don't work as episodic storytelling. There's not enough material/story that couldn't be told in a 2+ hour movie.

Agreed. I was optimistic about the prospect of high budget TV events, but the Disney+ formula has missed the mark for me, because they never seem to have a handle on the the long-form storytelling that great TV shows have.

Counterpoint: you can't only look at the single cherry picked high point of the Netflix shows. The "same" writers that brought us Daredevil s3 also brought us such brilliant successes as Iron Fist s1. Its disingenuous to pretend that those other shows and seasons don't exist, and act like the Netflix team only ever produced gold.

( Yes, its not the literal same writers. However, it is just as much the "same" writers as would be the case with the Disney+ shows. If you apply a standard of treating the Disney+ shows as a collective, you have to do the same for the Netflix shows. Goose, gander. )

Counterpoint: you can't only look at the single cherry picked high point of the Netflix shows. The "same" writers that brought us Daredevil s3 also brought us such brilliant successes as Iron Fist s1. Its disingenuous to pretend that those other shows and seasons don't exist, and act like the Netflix team only ever produced gold.

( Yes, its not the literal same writers. However, it is just as much the "same" writers as would be the case with the Disney+ shows. If you apply a standard of treating the Disney+ shows as a collective, you have to do the same for the Netflix shows. Goose, gander. )

I would see your point if I ever implied Netflix had a clear track record. There were definitely issues over that whole venture, but I don't think it's disingenuous to compare Daredevil's previous teams to the calibre of Disney's hirings so far. I don't think they've hit the bar Daredevil set. I think that remains true whether you factor in Iron Fist or not.

I would compare Netflix DD to something like Starz's Spartacus. Not a large enough budget for visual spectacle so ramp-up the quality of the writing, acting, cinematography, etc.

D+ shows, on the other hand, have much more money to throw at the screen so they might feel structurally weaker by comparison. In reality though, I've found the D+ shows to be fairly consistent in terms of quality. Perhaps none of them can compare to DD Season 1, but none of them are as bad as Iron Fist Season 1 either...

I have my own opinions on the quality of the Disney+ shows, there just doesn't seem much point in even bringing them up when there isn't even the slightest agreement on which ones of them are best or worst. I see every single one of them labeled as both the best one yet and the worst ever, in pretty much even numbers.

An article that supports previously rumored plotpoints of this show:
Rumor Control: 'Daredevil: Born Again'-Part 1 - Murphy's Multiverse

Summary:
  • Foggy and Karen are mostly absent, if not completely. Their absence is actually plot significant. There might be some scenes with Foggy, but likely only flashbacks or to show where he is since he's not with Matt.
  • Fisk is running for mayor of New York on an anti-vigilante campaign, and will publicly go against Daredevil and Punisher, he'll also mention Spider-Man, and one plotline is Matt defending a hero/vigilante in court implied to be White Tiger.
  • The Punisher will take out a group of racist cops misappropriating his skull symbol.
  • Matt's two love interests will be Heather Glenn and Kirsten McDuffie. Heather is more of a party girl and the relationship will likely be short-lived, the relationship with Kirsten will be more of a slow burn and she may stick around after this series.

I really enjoyed the three seasons of "Daredevil" that were made, and "Born Again" is the one MCU property I'm looking forward to the most. The actors all did a great job, the writing was believable, and even though I felt some of the violence was overkill, on the whole it was better than most comic-based fare. I liked Ben Affleck in the 2003 film's director's cut, but Charlie Cox stepped up that role to the Nth degree. I was a fan of Elden Henson from his "Mighty Ducks" days, and he made a very good Foggy. I hadn't seen Deborah Ann Woll in anything before, so I didn't have anything to compare her to as Karen Page - she just sold it completely for me. As for Vincent D'Onofrio, there are no words...he is the Kingpin. Its that simple.

I have the first two years of the show on imported Blu-Ray, and I'm hoping Marvel eventually decides to release the last one officially. All this Disney+ stuff drives me nuts.

An article that supports previously rumored plotpoints of this show:
Rumor Control: 'Daredevil: Born Again'-Part 1 - Murphy's Multiverse

Summary:
  • Foggy and Karen are mostly absent, if not completely. Their absence is actually plot significant. There might be some scenes with Foggy, but likely only flashbacks or to show where he is since he's not with Matt.
  • Fisk is running for mayor of New York on an anti-vigilante campaign, and will publicly go against Daredevil and Punisher, he'll also mention Spider-Man, and one plotline is Matt defending a hero/vigilante in court implied to be White Tiger.
  • The Punisher will take out a group of racist cops misappropriating his skull symbol.
  • Matt's two love interests will be Heather Glenn and Kirsten McDuffie. Heather is more of a party girl and the relationship will likely be short-lived, the relationship with Kirsten will be more of a slow burn and she may stick around after this series.
hmm, not bad. Drew Goddard was the writer of the first show, right? I think if they brought him back on board as a showrunner then it's the best bet for Born Again to be on the right track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"