Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
kevin-feige.jpg

:woot: I was hoping someone had an appropriate picture.

If this happens I hope we get to hear of the 20 films currently planned before anything changes. Would love to be able to see the before and after and how they moved things around.

It sounds like they won't announce the next slate of films until after Avengers 4, so they still have over a year to map things out and make adjustments - should this deal come to fruition.

It sounds like they won't announce the next slate of films until after Avengers 4, so they still have over a year to map things out and make adjustments - should this deal come to fruition.

I think they just don't want to announce their full slate until after Avengers 4 so they can keep spoilers under wraps. That being said, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 will have to be casting and dropping news prior to the release of Avengers 4. I also hope they at least announce the other movies coming out in 2020 with GotG3 before Avengers 4.

Wonder what Feige’s thinking of all this.

He did get asked about the X-Men recently, sorta.

Kevin Feige’s first boss, X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner, on the idea of working with Feige again and returning her mutants to the Marvel fold:

Well, I wish. I would love it, I would love it. But it’s not for me to say.

Kevin Feige:

Well, the problem is whenever I say anything about it, it becomes 15 headlines. So would we like to? Yeah, of course. Is there any movement toward it at all? No. Same thing. Same status.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/the-future-of-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-robocop

I wish he would comment on it, but I doubt he will.

He must be having dreams about what he could do with all those characters under his control. As if things weren’t already exciting enough for him. I think one big thing that would come from this is much more big event material. X-Men and F4 villains could help create the next Infinity War equivalent.

I think they just don't want to announce their full slate until after Avengers 4 so they can keep spoilers under wraps. That being said, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 will have to be casting and dropping news prior to the release of Avengers 4. I also hope they at least announce the other movies coming out in 2020 with GotG3 before Avengers 4.

I think the Doctor Strange sequel is a given for 2020 as well

Didn't Fiege start his career working on the original X-Men movies? This would be a full circle moment for him to re-do X-Men, and do it accurately.

This deal would put Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, X-Men, Doctor Doom, Annihilus, Kang the Conqueror, Galactus, and Magneto right in his hands.

Couple that with the pre-existing IPs of Avengers, Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Spider-Man, as well as potential new IPs in Namor, Nova, and Thunderbolts. They're set forever.

I think the Doctor Strange sequel is a given for 2020 as well

I think that will be our November/Winter release as well. Hopefully with Nightmare as the villain! To think, it will have been 4 years since Doctor Strange going into 2020. Time moves fast, but I think that shows how likely it is to be released then.

But it raises the question of what will be the 3rd 2020 film! Rule of thumb says we're likely looking at a new property, but which one?

Will be interesting to see how long any deal takes to complete and how long before it starts having an impact on operations. For eg I’d imagine a certain amount of Fox projects would be seen through to completion depending on progress already made.

This deal would put Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, X-Men, Doctor Doom, Annihilus, Kang the Conqueror, Galactus, and Magneto right in his hands.

Couple that with the pre-existing IPs of Avengers, Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Spider-Man, as well as potential new IPs in Namor, Nova, and Thunderbolts. They're set forever.

It’s crazy stuff. With good execution and planning the MCU could dominate for decades.

I think that will be our November/Winter release as well. Hopefully with Nightmare as the villain! To think, it will have been 4 years since Doctor Strange going into 2020. Time moves fast, but I think that shows how likely it is to be released then.

But it raises the question of what will be the 3rd 2020 film! Rule of thumb says we're likely looking at a new property, but which one?

If I were to guess, I'd say Widow, Nova or Moon Knight as the new property but we probably won't find out til next year

Will be interesting to see how long any deal takes to complete and how long before it starts having an impact on operations. For eg I’d imagine a certain amount of Fox projects would be seen through to completion depending on progress already made.
I mean, would the rights just automatically revert over as soon as the deal is signed and finalized?

If Comcast buys Fox would the rights revert to Disney/Marvel still?

It’s not clear but the answer is very unlikely. The rights are not transferable to another studio but remember in this case the STUDIO is not changing (it will still be Fox) just the parent company. So, while I don’t know the specific contract language, I doubt it goes back to Disney if Comcast wins the bidding war (which they likely will not...Disney always wins).

If I were to guess, I'd say Widow, Nova or Moon Knight as the new property but we probably won't find out til next year

I don't see Moon Knight as a movie. He is more like a Daredevil type, so I see him more getting a show at some point. Nova I can easily see. I think we will finally get a Black Widow solo, but not sure that soon. I would have said Namor, but Feige seems to indicate that situation is complicated. So, still kind of a crap shoot.

Honestly, if this sale goes through, I think Marvel will need to start doing at least 4 films a year. Prob at least 3 standard MCU films, and 1 FOX film. Maybe multiple as the X-Men portion of the MCU grows.

I mean, would the rights just automatically revert over as soon as the deal is signed and finalized?

I don’t know any specifics on how that part of it works. But in terms of timings and delays, I’d imagine it depends on what else they’re getting from the deal, for eg Fox film production assets. If they are getting a lot of rights and not a lot of production assets it might be a challenge making all the films they would want to make, assuming there aren’t a whole lot of Disney production assets lying idle right now.

It’s not clear but the answer is very unlikely. The rights are not transferable to another studio but remember in this case the STUDIO is not changing (it will still be Fox) just the parent company. So, while I don’t know the specific contract language, I doubt it goes back to Disney if Comcast wins the bidding war (which they likely will not...Disney always wins).

I think that is the key here. If someone buys Fox and keeps them as they are but as a subsidiary of the new parent, the rights could theoretically also stay as they are.

I don't see Moon Knight as a movie. He is more like a Daredevil type, so I see him more getting a show at some point. Nova I can easily see. I think we will finally get a Black Widow solo, but not sure that soon. I would have said Namor, but Feige seems to indicate that situation is complicated. So, still kind of a crap shoot.

Well a Nova film with a Black Widow film later and a Moon Knight show would all be cool, so all good. :up:

Imagine if the deal was already made and they are just letting infos to come out now in anticipation of the announcement.

James Gunn has talked about a Moon Knight movie, but we'll see. Probably would be better suited for Netflix though.

I really want Nova and yeah, sounds like Namor is in the same boat as the Hulk and can only be used in other films. I'd love for him to be the villain in a Black Panther sequel or if they get the Fantastic 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"