Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming? - Part 4

Since Fox has only done (two?) R-rated films, I don’t think being a Fox-film carries the connotation of an R-rating. And, frankly, any responsible parent who cares will note the rating as the first and foremost indication of the content.

But since parents aren’t responsible and since they’ll blame the studio more than themselves, I suspect Disney will do something that clearly denotes R-rated films - either as Fox or Marvel productions.

I don't see why the R rated MCU movies can't carry the usual Marvel Studios fanfare. No need to use Fox logo or create a Max or Knights line.

I don't see why the R rated MCU movies can't carry the usual Marvel Studios fanfare. No need to use Fox logo or create a Max or Knights line.

Bob Iger's quote that an R rated Marvel flick would be okay "As long as we let them know what's coming" makes it seem like a branding differentiation is a strong possibility. They certainly don't want to futz up the good thing they've got going with the MCU. Something like Marvel Studios Max, with a different fanfare but actual ties to MCU continuity (unlike Netflix) would work.

How many films would need to be R rated anyway? Especially with most of the street heroes on Netflix. As long as they find some way of making it clear I don't really care too much about what they choose. But is good if it means we can get the likes of Deadpool in the universe which didn't seem likely to many when the deal was first mentioned.

Since Fox has only done (two?) R-rated films, I don’t think being a Fox-film carries the connotation of an R-rating. And, frankly, any responsible parent who cares will note the rating as the first and foremost indication of the content.

But since parents aren’t responsible and since they’ll blame the studio more than themselves, I suspect Disney will do something that clearly denotes R-rated films - either as Fox or Marvel productions.

When I saw Logan, the audience was full of young kids. There were some in Watchmen too. A lot of parents don't care.

C'mon all of you saw R-rated movies before you were 17.

C'mon all of you saw R-rated movies before you were 17.

Teenagers sure but we're talking about parents bringing in young kids to the wrong films. Kids who are old enough to go without parents can obviously try and get into any film they choose and it's all about whether they manage to make it in.

There is a difference between R rated for violence and R rated for nudity etc. though.

Honestly, they can do anything with DP though. You can even have Hugh Jackman cameo as Wolverine given DP is an unknown in terms of actual setting and the character being what he is, you can literally have every Marvel hero from the movies cameo in his movie and it not mean anything to any continuity, either the XCU or the MCU proper. :)

There is a difference between R rated for violence and R rated for nudity etc. though.

Honestly, they can do anything with DP though. You can even have Hugh Jackman cameo as Wolverine given DP is an unknown in terms of actual setting and the character being what he is, you can literally have every Marvel hero from the movies cameo in his movie and it not mean anything to any continuity, either the XCU or the MCU proper. :)
Imagine seeing Ben Affleck's Daredevil show up. DP can make a joke about him showing up before the actual MCU Daredevil

After the large list of Marvel movies was released by Fox I got to thinking.

Are the people at Fox just pushing those into development to try and save their own skin? The thought being Disney owns Marvel, Look Disney we're on board and want to get these projects started for you. Now that you own us wouldn't it be better to critique rather than cancel . . . .

Are the people at Fox just pushing those into development to try and save their own skin? The thought being Disney owns Marvel, Look Disney we're on board and want to get these projects started for you. Now that you own us wouldn't it be better to critique rather than cancel . . . .

I think so. Screen Junkies discussed this earlier this week that the production of the movies is to showcase to Disney/Marvel Studios the level of talent at Fox involved in the Marvel properties. Basically, people trying to prove themselves and saving their jobs.

I think it is probably more scrambling to make sure they get paid in the little time they had. Kind of the same mindset where WB refused to push back Justice League no matter how bad of shape it was in because if they did certain executives wouldn't get their bonuses.

I think it's that and they also have to keep up appearances until any acquisitions are finalized. "Business as usual."

Fox has to continue to operate as an independent studio. They will carry on as such until the day the official transition into the Disney fold happens. Or plan B.....they sell off assets. Either way if they want to make a Multiple Man movie they still can.

To me, its just silly to rush developing these films especially when you have the New Mutants delayed for almost a year and Gambit can't get a director to start production. Dark Phoenix would probably suck which would be a problem later down the road.

Anyway, Marvel would just squash most of these films under development and would streamline Marvel movies (3 to 4 films) for quality/quantity control. Anyway, Fox is wasting time. What they should do is wait and see for now, until the deal is done and just focus on 1 to 2 films that have yet to start filming.

Fox has to continue to operate as an independent studio. They will carry on as such until the day the official transition into the Disney fold happens. Or plan B.....they sell off assets. Either way if they want to make a Multiple Man movie they still can.

Well yes, but they seem to be noticeably more aggressive in announcing these spinoffs after the announcement of the sale than they were before it.

Well yes, but they seem to be noticeably more aggressive in announcing these spinoffs after the announcement of the sale than they were before it.

Which makes you wonder how many will be made. And it has me curious about their attitudes toward character ownership prior to Disney's offer.

There was a lot of discussion in other threads about Fox feeling that what they owned was valuable just because Marvel didn't own it. I'm wondering if their arrogance in thinking Disney would just buy it back was now exposed, via the new push toward hey look we know how to use this stuff coupled with please don't fire us.

It's very annoying. They never gave us anything like this before it was to late. Now it's all irrelevant imo

Yes just annoying that they do it now when it’s too late.

1. Business as usual.

2. None of these films have really been announced. They are just projects they are developing. None of them have been greenlit.

If it was business as usual it wouldn't stand out so much as being totally different. :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"