Disney Talking ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Reboot With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick

I do wonder what the internet would have done when they replaced Sean Connery as Bond.

There were some big differences between Bond and Sparrow. Bond was still popular and YOLT was a big hit just two years earlier. There was reason to continue. POTC, on the other hand, has been decaying for awhile.

Another big difference is that the POTC films are far more expensive to made. OHMSS was a disappointment, but wasn't a franchise destroying bomb. A POTC movie that grossed what OHMSS (even adjusted for inflation) would be a massive money loser.

Finally, EON basically exists solely to make James Bond movies. They don't do anything else. Disney does.

Well, that stinger at the end of the last one may imply the latter.

I just hope it’s a complete reboot and not just a soft reboot.

I reckon they’ll keep the same world but with different characters. I wouldn’t mind Penelope Cruz coming back.

Look they had to do something. Depp is a mess. Gets paid millions of dollars and couldn’t even remember his lines on set.

This is a bit like the Israeli flag though, it needs a big star. Someone on a Chris Hemsworth or will Smith level

What can they do without the character of Jack Sparrow, though? He was the only reason a lot of people watched the movies. Not sure what direction they'd take with the movies without him, or why they'd even want to bother.

Yeah, Jack Sparrow is synonymous with the Pirates franchise at this point. I get that Johnny Depp is in a weird place right now, but I can’t see this franchise surviving much without that character or actor playing him.

If they fid another wacky lead.

Which is exactly why they would need to find a different take on the franchise. Trying to find a new Jack Sparrow character will flop. As long as they keep it in the same vein as the current franchise (fun and whimsical but not dark and gritty or serious) but not try to remake it then they could do more Pirates movies.

It'll be funny considering the writers but they'll have to strike a tone.

Yeah. Having the guys behind the Deadpool franchise means it will safely be away from a Snyder or Nolan Batman type reboot.

This series was always a fluke of a franchise that rode its popularity and success entirely off the back of Jack Sparrow. Disney had ample opportunity to build and expand from that but out of shear laziness chose not to. A reboot is destined to fail IMO because the series has and will always be associated with one character. The reality is no-one cares about this series any longer.

What's funny is that during the last one when they get the trident of Poseidon and something is mentioned along the lines of "If the trident is destroyed every curse at sea is broken" I do remember thinking hmmm that's really going to take out a lot of potential future storylines if they keep going with this lol.

Even though through their own explained continuity it didn't make sense I kind of still wanted to see how the return of Davey Jones would work. As it did seem odd he even showed up wasn't he dead? If not the curse of him taking on the Dutchmen would have been broken so why is he still all Octopus in the face? And why come for William first Jack was his natural enemy and the one who used Will's hand to stab his heart?

I'm not against it. The current continuity has run its course, and I'm all for seeing more sea mythology on screen.

But man, I do not envy the task of trying to fill the void left by Jack and Barbossa.

What he said.

Agreed who would even want to try and takeover from Depp?

That isn't what this would be though. The weird thing is, this was the approach that always made sense. Different pirates, different stories. But the first did so well, they stuck with Captain Jack to the bitter end.

Also I found the Jungle Book to be fantastic, Cinderella to be pretty great, and I really enjoyed BatB, though that one was a tall order.

I know, I don’t think it’s going to work. There didn’t appear to be much interest in the last one and I don’t think getting rid of your marquee character is a step forward.

Disney has been aggressively milking their invaluable IP the past few years and it’s obviously worked out very well for them but outside of Marvel their films have left me largely indifferent. A new Pirates movie sounds like the worst of the bunch.

This series was always a fluke of a franchise that rode its popularity and success entirely off the back of Jack Sparrow. Disney had ample opportunity to build and expand from that but out of shear laziness chose not to. A reboot is destined to fail IMO because the series has and will always be associated with one character. The reality is no-one cares about this series any longer.
A new series for a new generation.

Any wacky lead they try will be unfavorably compared to Sparrow. They can't go to that well again. It's been done.

if they've got to do this, they need to take a fresh new approach and no crazy Sparrow like characters. Nobody can top or replace Depp.

This is a bit like the Israeli flag though, it needs a big star. Someone on a Chris Hemsworth or will Smith level
That'll be the only hope because....

Yeah, Jack Sparrow is synonymous with the Pirates franchise at this point. I get that Johnny Depp is in a weird place right now, but I can’t see this franchise surviving much without that character or actor playing him.
Without Sparrow or a bankable star, a reboot will fall flat on its ass.

Top POTC 1 Sparrow, no.

Top flandarized Sparrow with Depp not even trying, low bar to clear.

And if anything, these writers at least should be given some trust in that they can write a wacky character with emotional depth.

Most of this generation grew up with it, so I'm not sure that really applies here.

Typically two decades is the time in which people start getting nostalgic for stuff. That's why 50s nostalgia was big in the 70s (think Happy Days), the 60s in the 80s, and so on. The most recent POTC film was last year, so the 2030s would probably be around the time to try a reboot.

Most of this generation grew up with it, so I'm not sure that really applies here.
I’m talking about the kids. I was 14 when I saw the first Pirates. I imagine a 6, 7, 8, 9 year old will grow up with the new rebooted Pirates. A new generation of stories and characters.

They should get Emma Stone as Anne Bonney! Or go for an older Anne and get chastain who is chasing around a team of pirates

Always thought POTC had more potential than just being front and center about Jack Sparrow.
You could have different leads and do some kind of MCU kind of thing.
Potential is there and i do think a reboot could work if you dont do a 100% reboot with a new jack sparrow or so.

If they were to completely change it then it could possibly work.

Hell Assassin's Creed's Black Flag story could work very well with a few tweaks here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"