• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Disney Talking ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Reboot With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick

Oof. Reese and Wernick are good writers, too. A big hit to lose them. But if Disney does indeed go full steam ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if they had new picks by...next week, maybe? This film doesn't have a director yet, so I would think that Disney would prioritize that first before getting writers. But then, I don't know how the director and writer selection process works.

I can't fathom what they're thinking here. They're never going to realistically best the original films. I don't see it. That first trilogy needs not be replaced.

Seeing the Jungle Cruise trailer made me wonder what’s happening with the pirates of the Caribbean. Do you know any other leading men who could replace Depp?

I would laugh my ass off if they got Ryan Reynolds. I don't know if he can do accents.

I would laugh my ass off if they got Ryan Reynolds. I don't know if he can do accents.

haha I feel like if they did, there would definitely be a pirates of the Caribbean joke in the next deadpool

‘Chernobyl’ Creator Craig Mazin to Develop ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Reboot

Disney has hired “Pirates of the Caribbean” veteran Ted Elliott and “Chernobyl” creator Craig Mazin to develop a story for its reboot of the franchise.

Jerry Bruckheimer is expected to produce as he has on the previous five entries in the series. Disney hired the “Deapool” writing team of Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick last year to reboot the franchise but the duo is no longer on board.

Elliott teamed with Terry Rossio on the first four films, starting with 2003’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” and followed by “Dead Man’s Chest,” “At World’s End,” and “On Stranger Tides.” Jeff Nathanson wrote the script on 2017’s “Dead Men Tell No Tales,” based on a story by himself and Rossio.

I'm glad you got half of what made the original movies magic and a fresh writer. The influence if Elliot and Rossio was missed on the last movie.

Hm, lets see.
It was a mistake imo to focus this much on Jack sparrow, i could see something like a marvel shared universe with movies in the POTC world but focusing on different tales, characters and so on.
There is much potential in it to be found, just making it about one character as the focus point...would be a waste imo.

So im all for a reboot, as long as it doesnt try to be the same as what we had.

I guess we'll find out if people have any interest in a Pirates movie that doesn't have Jack Sparrow in it.

Yeah, people forget that Depp was half the reason that first film worked and was the blockbuster that it was.

They ran the character into the ground, and Depp’s personal problems got in the way, but I don’t know if this franchise can thrive to the heights it did without him.

I guess we'll find out if people have any interest in a Pirates movie that doesn't have Jack Sparrow in it.
They lost interest by the time the fifth one rolled around, at least domestically. Depp's star has fallen and he was the main reason people went to see those movies because Jack Sparrow was an instantly iconic character.

I can see why Disney would have a soft spot for the franchise. Leaving Pixar out of the equation, the first three movies pretty much single handedly carried the studio through the 2000s. But now that they have Marvel and Star Wars, they really don't need Pirates of the Caribbean anymore. If people gradually stopped caring about the franchise when Depp was still involved, they probably will care even less without him. They should just let that franchise rest.

Basically you can't do this without a viable lead that can be likeable and funny. Ensemble casts work but they pretty much all have to have interesting personality traits. Dark Phoenix didn't work for me because the only character who was any fun got sidelined one third of the way in.

It would need a lead who doesn’t usually do these types of movies putting in a unique performance ala Johnny Depp circa 2003.

That was the hook. Why would this amazing “indie” actor choose to do this blockbuster? See also Robert Downey Jr circa 2008 and more recently Joaquin Phoenix for Joker.

Get Karen Gillen to play Anne Bonny. Easy, done. At least she would learn her lines.

of course she would need a really cool new villain. Not sure who could play them

Why reboot Pirates of the Caribbean? It's silly. Look what happened with MIB International.

Just because you have a property that used to be a BO titan doesn't mean you have to do something new with it.

You've done pretty much everything you can with POTC at this point. Even the last movie tried to set up a future installment and it makes no sense and there was no where they could really go with it.

I would love for them to introduce the Bake Kujira. Basically it’s a Japanese myth of a haunted whale skeleton which is an omen of doom. Imagine how cool this would look on screen

they can even introduce the Wokou (Japanese pirates)

Yeah, there is a lot of Pirate/sea myth and stuff you could explore, so im all for a reboot to be honest.

I'd love to have more PotC movies. If there's one thing I learned from watching The Lighthouse, it's that I have an itch for seafaring myths and legends.

They have to do it right though. Jack Sparrow may have overstayed his welcome, but the fact remains that he was the big draw. Replacing him won't be easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"