Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness Rate And Review Thread(Tag Spoilers!!)

I really enjoyed it and loved the horror vibes. Raimi brought his A game.

Not top tier MCU but definitely a good film and enjoyable too. Loved the multiverse aspects and can't wait for them to be explored further over the coming years.

I'd go 7.5/10.

I gave it a 5. The only thing saving this for me was Cumberbatch and Olsen's performances, and Raimi's directing style. As a Wanda fan who loved Wandavision and was ready to see her as a hero and move on from her never ending cycle of grief, this felt like a huge slap in the face.

I'm incredibly bummed because I loved the idea of Strange and Wanda together when this was first announced, and it's like they did the exact opposite of what I wanted.

I've only seen it once, but I'm planning on seeing it again tomorrow. as of right now I give it a solid 8.5 or 9/10.

I’m honestly shocked by how much I enjoyed this film; I never thought that would happen with an MCU product again.

The film opens a little weak in typical Marvel fashion, but when it gets going it goes full tilt.

I love that Wanda was basically evil from the start and they didn’t try to tease the audience with it. For fans of WandaVision, I honestly don’t understand how her turn came as a surprise, Yes, the depths of her evil feels a little extreme given the place her show ended, but it was definitely set-up there (her willingness to brainwash an entire town, her singular focus on her family above all else, the Darkhold credits tease). Finally, there are consequences to a character’s actions. Time and again Tony or Peter or countless others would do something horrible and the narrative would hand-wave it away. It was nice to see Wanda make mistakes and in the end pays for it.

Thank god we finally got a story that had proper stakes.

The horror really went all out, it reminded me of the first few Pirates films and how abnormal it felt for a Disney film. The camera work was great, lots of interesting angels and scene constructions (the mirror prison was fantastic).

With all that said, the movie wasn’t perfect. Most of the dialogue was very clunky and uninspired, it honestly felt like something a student would write. The CGI, while better than most MCU entries, was still an issue when dealing with melding sets with CGI environments (that one rooftop at the beginning and the cliffs at the end end especially). Aside from Stephen, Wanda and maybe America none of the other cast members got anything notable to work with (though at least McAdams had more to do this time and wasn’t entirely wasted). And the love story that Stephen’s entire arc hinges around doesn’t work, there’s just no chemistry there.

The Illuminati were fun, but didn't have much of an impact. I'd read that Black Bolt was featured, but I didn't expect it to be Anson Mount again.

Still, this is one of the MCU’s best entries, and one of the few I can see myself resisting years down the line and enjoying simply for its own sake and not because of how it ties into other properties.

8/10 (the highest score I’ve given since Black Panther)

This was not as bad as I feared, I really liked it. Anybody that said this was more of a Wanda's movie don't know what they are talking about. Sure, Wanda got a lot of screen time but it was mostly a doctor Strange movie. Benedict Cumberbatch was great and Strange was the MVP imho. I love what they did with strange in this movie. He had the best scenes and most impressive power display.
Wanda got to kill the illuminati which was impressive, but nothing she did grabbed me. She was just killing people because she wanted her children, as motivations go, I did not find it compelling. She was just there to be a villain and nothing more
I get why some Wanda fans would be upset, they kinda ruined her character.

America Chavez is likeable, Wong is Wong and Christine is better this time around. I'm a bit disappointed with Mordo, but I hope we get a proper follow up in the next movie.

I'm not the greatest fan of Sam Raimi but credit where it's due, he did a great job directing this. I hope they bring him back for midnight sons but I still want Derrickson back for Dr Strange 3, I loved the first movie better than this and he should be allowed to finish what he started.

7/10

Solid 8/10 for me. Before I got to see the movie, I had to do a lot shuffling. Long story. I was supposed to get on a 12:10 bus to Turku, which is oldest city in Finland and the closest one where the nationwide theater chain has a location. I arrived at the bus station 12:07 and see a bus leaving. I thought iwas a different line but since no othere bus showed up, I asked one guy was waiting fora different bus and he said it was the one going to Turku. The driver of his bus said she saw it coming towards when she arriving from Turku. I went bakc home, call the customer service and told the bus ledt early, they told me send the code for the pre-paid tickets via email and I'll be refunded (which they di today). I had to buy new tickets and a new movie ticket for a later screening, which I used a free ticket code for. After arriving in Truku and using their rest rooms, I told one of the clerks what had happened to me and he called his superior and I actually got a replacement free ticket code.

On tho the movie, not what I expected based on the trailers, which DID show too much, from very late in the movie. Very Sam Raimi, stunning visuals.
Bruce Campbell cameo really made me laugh and get Evil Dead flashbacks. The Illuminati's purpose was to die and I had no problem with it. Some really gruesome deaths. Hearing the X-Men animated theme when Xavier showed up was fun and when he went into Wanda's mind and showed that the real Wanda was literally buried deep there, the sympathies for Wanda began pouring in again. Captain Carter was cool and I hope to see more of the live action one. As I mentioned in another thread, those who watched AoS, understand the corruptive nature of The Darkhold even more. This wasn't the same Wanda that we at the end of WandaVision anymore, she had been twisted and the way they showed that to her was brilliant. I think a redemption arc is there for her.

I loved it, the brutality of the Scarlet Witch was insane. If the Scarlet Witch were in Infinity War she would have easily DESTROYED Thanos. Zombie Strange was crazy too. Definitely not your average MCU movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved it, the brutality of the Scarlet Witch was insane. If the Scarlet Witch were in Infinity War she would have easily DESTROYED Thanos. Zombie Strange was crazy too. Definitely not your average MCU movie.
Hey....dude.....would you PLEASE tag spoilers? This is the 3rd time I've asked people to do this and the Mods don't like it either.

Please......I'm getting sick of reminding people who can't seem to read the title of the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think that post had any spoilers.

Guys, this is NOT a spoiler thread. See the words TAG SPOILERS on the thread titles. Start tagging spoilers and read your thread labels more carefully. No more warnings for people. Untagged spoilers will end with you scoring warning points

If you say so. Just read like every other non-spoiler review for this movie to me. But okay.

The post commented on Wanda's brutality. Which is a spoiler since every bit of marketing has danced around her being the villain or not. So....yes that is a spoiler

The post commented on Wanda's brutality. Which is a spoiler since every bit of marketing has danced around her being the villain or not. So....yes that is a spoiler

Brutal doesn’t equal villain to me. But I get it.

Some additional thoughts:

The script isn’t great, but this is one of the few cases where the directing is so inventive and engaging that writer’s shortcomings don’t really matter.

Te experience of watching this must be what it’s been like for the rest of you MCU fans for the last decade or so. This movie was just a butt load of fun, and each new scene had some crazy new idea or camerawork. Composition battles, zombie possession, it was plain nuts in a way that I didn’t think was possible under Feige.

While Elfman’s score had some fantastic moments, it doesn’t have a cohesive voice and on that front comes up short not only in comparison to his iconic work on Batman & Spider-Man but also Giacchino’s score from the first film (which wasn’t perfect but had a strong theme and style). But I loved the trippy rock segments accompanying the truly weird moments (which unfortunately is only featured once on album).

Overall, this movie was much better than the usual cookie cutter fare we usually get. It really illustrates how safe and cowardly most of the MCU entries have been. It easily outclasses the first film in jut about every way imaginable. And it was nice not having jokes constantly undercutting serious moments for a change.

My only concern now is all the future films and shows being a massive downgrade after this. Even Love & Thunder looks tame by comparison. I'm not sure the MCU is an a position to capitalize on what Raimi has done here. I just hope he's back for either a sequel or another franchise.

Hey....dude.....would you PLEASE tag spoilers? This is the 3rd time I've asked people to do this and the Mods don't like it either.

Please......I'm getting sick of reminding people who can't seem to read the title of the thread.
my bad

No problem bruh...or sis (as the case may be). I'm going to see it tomorrow and I've been trying to do my best to stay away from spoilers.

I gave it a 5. The only thing saving this for me was Cumberbatch and Olsen's performances, and Raimi's directing style. As a Wanda fan who loved Wandavision and was ready to see her as a hero and move on from her never ending cycle of grief, this felt like a huge slap in the face.

I'm incredibly bummed because I loved the idea of Strange and Wanda together when this was first announced, and it's like they did the exact opposite of what I wanted.

I get it, but to be fair, they ended WandaVision with her studying the Darkhold.

We had to know once that happened, things weren’t going to end well for her.

Title of the movie was extremely misleading. The script was shallow. Jokes were flat. Chemistry was not there between Strange/Chavez, the latter of which was a cheap McGuffin. I can't imagine it's easy to design fight sequences for characters throwing spells - but it doesn't change the fact that it's not entertaining to watch ...... at least for me. Strange's power set had a much better portrayal in Avengers: IW & EG.

It pains me to say this because I've been with the MCU every single step of the way but post-End Game material has lacked the quality control of the previous phases. I worried it might happen because Feige is but one man. I just miss the excitement this universe used to generate for me. All the films and Disney+ shows have felt like fast food versions of what it used to represent. I can almost see the boxes being checked off as these movies/shows progress.

Last edited:
Seen it today and absolutely enjoyed it.
8 out of 10 and definitely in my top 10

Seen it today and absolutely enjoyed it.
8 out of 10 and definitely in my top 10
Totally agree. It was way better than I expected after reading reviews and so forth. Honestly, I don't know what people didn't like about it. The end dragged a smidge, but overall, I loved it and definitely put it in my top 10 (but I'm a Strange hoe LOL). I saw it in the big screen (Cinemark XD) and am definitely going to a 3D show ASAP as I think this could add something to it. Easy 8/10

The previews were great. I am totally stoked for the next Thor movie. Top Gun (loved The Who sounds) and Jurassic are looking like fun.

EDIT: I don't know how anyone can say this wasn't a Dr Strange movie. Just because you have a strong antagonist........

Last edited:
Movie was a frustrating mess that I managed to like anyway but wanted to love. The tone was inconsistent and the Multiverse angle was REALLY underwhelming, especially the Illuminati. I think it was good but had potential to be better and lean harder into the horror and Multiverse angle. I wish Raimi built this film up from the ground himself. 7 out of 10 I guess. I think I liked more individual scenes than the movie as a whole tho. It also felt like important things was cut from the film, while still feeling bloated simultaneously lol.

Yeah, a very mixed bag of good, bad and er ok. Some really cool and nice moments sprinkled throughout and felt very much like a Raimi film and its good that the MCU is trying these different things, it certainly worked better than whatever the Eternals was trying to do but thats another story, sometimes experimenting works, sometimes it doesnt.

Here there was some really cool and nice ideas, the cameo's were nice
if a little throw away and I can see why some fans of some characters would be a little peeved
but I just took them as a nice cool easter egg rather than anything deeper.

Cumberbitch was good as ever in the role and got some nice alternatives to play around with the character and got to do some nice scenes with various characters in the multiverse. Sometimes his character and accent is a little scattershot and DS can come across as a bit unlikeable at times but perhaps thats just who Strange is. Also I dont think he is helped by one of the weakest scripts from the MCU so far, a lot of cheesy and cliche moments which the MCU generally has avoided in most of its movies, considering there's not a lot of humor here and considering the subject matter thats no surprise but those cheese moments stood out more so as a result.

Olsen was the standout and did the best work out of everyone, what they did with the character may not sit well with a lot of people though, but what she had to do she did well with as ever as she usually does with this character. However if you hadnt seen Wandavision or dont have a lot of investment in her personal family issues you may care a lot less.

Wong was as reliable as ever and probably had the funniest lines out of everyone, it was nice to see him get a bigger role here as he was excellent in the first and his small parts in Shang-Chi.

Chavez was prefectly fine as well, nothing amazing, nothing to make me frothing at the mouth for her to comeback and a bit of a plot Mcguffin but at least her powers looked and sounded cool.

The action was again a mixed bag, some cool and interesting ideas and images but not always that interesting and the opening act in general was a little ho-hum, been there, done that feel when compared to the excitement of a Shang-Chi or No Way Home but there is only so much you can do with Wizards making hand gestures really and shooting light beams at each other.

Its a really hard film to score, just compared to other MCU films alone as there is a lot of "things" going on here that could lead to cool exciting things or nothing at all, its hard to say at this stage. The MCU at the moment doesnt seem as focused at the moment as the infinity saga, which is both a curse and a blessing as it means it can be more free and try more interesting stuff on one hand but on the other its hard to see how these pieces fit together and your not 100% sure whats important and what is throwaway at the moment, perhaps a few more movies time will reveal the overarching point of this phase.

As for this movie, its not one I will rush back to see again but its not the very worst of the bunch either and some more horror lite elements were a nice step in a new direction and makes me wonder how the likes of Blade will be handled or Deadpool. There's certainly enough here to keep most Marvel fans engaged for most of the film even if its a little more messy than other entries. 7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"