Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness Rate And Review Thread(Tag Spoilers!!)

A rating is really hard to pin down for this one. The parts that belonged to Raimi were PERFECT. Incredible horror scenes that really delivered what I want from a Strange movie. But he's stuck working with a studio script that was seemingly written by an algorithm fed a diet of the MCU's worst tendencies and tropes. The result is wildly uneven, but I'm so grateful we got what parts of Raimi's Strange that made it through the machine intact.

A rating is really hard to pin down for this one. The parts that belonged to Raimi were PERFECT. Incredible horror scenes that really delivered what I want from a Strange movie. But he's stuck working with a studio script that was seemingly written by an algorithm fed a diet of the MCU's worst tendencies and tropes. The result is wildly uneven, but I'm so grateful we got what parts of Raimi's Strange that made it through the machine intact.
That's basically my feeling more or less as well. I also felt that the Multiverse angle was kinda over hyped tbh. Also like I said earlier it manages to feel bloated while paradoxically feeling like important things was cut from it. First time I ever felt that way about a movie lol. And as much as people tout it being different from other MCU films it still feels 66% like a MCU film with some Raimi-isms sprinkled in.

Interesting.....people are all over the place on this one. I can see why people might be underwhelmed by the Illuminati scenes, but I think we've got something in store for us down the line. I absolutely loved it.

Title of the movie was extremely misleading. The script was shallow. Jokes were flat. Chemistry was not there between Strange/Chavez, the latter of which was a cheap McGuffin. I can't imagine it's easy to design fight sequences for characters throwing spells - but it doesn't change the fact that it's not entertaining to watch ...... at least for me. Strange's power set had a much better portrayal in Avengers: IW & EG.

It pains me to say this because I've been with the MCU every single step of the way but post-End Game material has lacked the quality control of the previous phases. I worried it might happen because Feige is but one man. I just miss the excitement this universe used to generate for me. All the films and Disney+ shows have felt like fast food versions of what it used to represent. I can almost see the boxes being checked off as these movies/shows progress.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this, because I was really disappointed with the Dr. Strange action we got in this, especially in comparison to what we got in IW and even the 5 minute role he had in EG.

Granted maybe I need to watch it again, but I don't remember anything in this movie looking as awesome or visually appealing as his brief battle with Thanos on Titan in IW.

I don't know maybe there's hope that we will see more of that in DS3 or something, but man post EG has not done his character any favors because as much as I loved NWH I didn't like how he was portrayed in that movie either.

I get it, but to be fair, they ended WandaVision with her studying the Darkhold.

We had to know once that happened, things weren’t going to end well for her.

Yeah, I am certainly in the camp of wishing that Wanda could get off the trauma/crazy/villainy spiral that the universe seems to have decided is her place. However, I can put up with it here because it was a really really good performance as a villain, IMO. Its kind of like how. . . I like SHIELD. I liked SHIELD. I loved the idea of the Government Super Agency maybe being a bit sketchy and ruthless, but not actually the bad guys for once. Thus, I wasn't thrilled about Winter Soldier revealing they were infiltrated to hell by Hydra. However, this doesn't change that Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU movie, because it takes that premise and does it *really really well*.

Same basic deal here, albeit not to the same extent. MOM isn't WS level good, but its still really good and makes the best possible use out of the premise "Wanda found the One Ring and what you would expect would happen happens."

This was so awesome, can’t wait to rewatch it on Disney plus (probably in July).
Best MCU movie since AEG

Movie was a frustrating mess that I managed to like anyway but wanted to love. The tone was inconsistent and the Multiverse angle was REALLY underwhelming, especially the Illuminati. I think it was good but had potential to be better and lean harder into the horror and Multiverse angle. I wish Raimi built this film up from the ground himself. 7 out of 10 I guess. I think I liked more individual scenes than the movie as a whole tho. It also felt like important things was cut from the film, while still feeling bloated simultaneously lol.

I wonder how this movie would have turned out if Sam Raimi was allowed full creative control.
With that I mean control over everything. I doubt he would have introduced Illuminati, Wanda etc.

I will start praising Benedict and Elizabeth for their dedication to a subpar plot. I have nothing against Scarlet Witch and her fans. I will always root for every fan to get the enjoyment they deserve. I wish Wanda had gotten a solo movie instead of being forced into another characters movie. Her character also deserved better. They made her into a mindless moronic killer and at the end said ''oopsie, i'm good now''. I cannot even begin to describe how shallow and surface level the writing is with this one. Either make her a full on villain, irredeemable or DON'T. Keep her a hero. Because of not sticking to either you ruined her arc and Strange's. The problem started with the last episode of Wandavision. You know what I'm talking about. I would have enjoyed this movie a lot more if this was like Ragnarok, a teamup movie if you're not going to stick to an arc with Wanda.

This movie should have been named ''Scarlet Witch and the multiverse of madness ft. a guest appearance by Dr Strange''. That's how it felt to me. Wanda had as much screentime at Strange I felt and the entire movies plot was about Wanda. I remember when Feige said he didn't want to include Strange in WV not to take anything away from Wanda...rightfully so. But it's ok when Wanda takes away from Strange ? Can anyone without any hypocrisy answer me this one ? Of course you can't. What makes it even worse is that Wanda had what 3-4 movies worth of character development whereas Dr Strange only had 1 and that was 6 years ago. Imagine being a Dr Strange fan waiting for this moment for one of the lowest rated MCU movies and one that does Dr Strange such a disservice as a character. Imagine the reactions if this had happened to a character like Spiderman or Batman. As a Dr Strange fan I would have been so pissed had Strange been not only introduced in Wandavision but gotten almost as much time as Wanda on there and came away as the shows plotline. I would have so much empathy with Wanda fans.

I'm not too optimistic about the future of the MCU. Unless things start to magically change again for the better. I've watched a lot of MCU movies in the cinema and this one burned me so bad I'll never watch another one of their films until after I read plenty of reviews and then form my opinion. My excitement for DS3 is at an alltime low now. I feel like that magic from the MCU is gone that was there during the TWS, CW, IW saga etc. Now I feel like I'm watching a fabricated machine without its heart and soul churning out a lot of mediocre content. The quality is fading as well, critically at least. I'm not a corporate bootlicker so I honestly could care less how much money Disney makes. It's weird to see people care about these things lol. I'm sure Thor 4 will be good, more like Ragnarok. And Black Panther will probably be as well. But other than that...we'll see.

Also. They did the Illuminati SO DIRTY. What a joke. Having a character that one shots everyone is incredibly lazy writing. It makes everyone else look like a joke and takes away from the movie as well. People in my cinema were laughing. The suspense just wasn't there because of this. Felt like I was watching a dumb DBS episode.

The way they are setting up DS3 has me worried. Like very worried. Shades of Spiderman 3.
It all felt so campy in a very bad way, Clea's introduction, costume, 3rd eye, setup etc.

I will always wonder how this movie would have turned out under Derricksons direction with just Doctor Strange and Nightmare as the villain. I feel it could have been one of MCUs best. Nightmare is such a great villain to explore a characters arc. And that's what Strange needed. But they treated him like a dumb jobber that guest starred in his own movie with zero character development. If you think this movie had good character development, I advise you to watch more films. The ones that don't rely on too much CGI.

I loved it. It was the Dr. Strange movie I was waiting for, and Raimi's touch was noticeable. In addition to the trippy visuals, it was surprisingly dark and violent for an MCU film. Definitely near the top of the MCU. I'd hesitate to call it the best of them, but easily my favorite since End Game and probably top five overall.

When Xavier went inside Wanda's mind, it shows that the true Wanda was still there but tucked away deep, maybe by the Darkhold, considering how cruel it was.
I have to say Wanda won my sympathies back in that scene.

I thought that was 838-Wanda that was trapped.

I thought that was 838-Wanda that was trapped.
I just saw it again with the family today, and
You are correct. Xavier literally says it.

My family all hated this movie, lol. Weirdly, I actually enjoyed it a little more with a 2nd viewing. Still don't feel like it stands on its own as a film, though.

Just came back from this. 7/10 for me.

Solidly entertaining from start to finish, if a little uneven at parts, but for me delivered a decent sequel to the original. Which definitely made me realize it's been a while since the original, since the Dr Strange character has appeared in quite a few other MCU movies since then.

The return of
Rachel McAdams' Christine
was a pleasant surprise and I was glad to see the character again, even if ultimately it didn't really serve a plot-based purpose.

As for cameos, I've kinda gotten used to them now and not much surprises me anymore, but
John Krasinski's Reed Richards
was so totally unexpected and almost had me jumping out of my seat! I couldn't believe my eyes or ears every time he was on screen! I still can't believe he was there! A sincere salute to whoever was the key in pulling that off. Now I want to see him again in another movie!

I saw this in 3D which was done really well. Recommend catching it in 3D for anyone who can!

Just saw it. A bit underwhelmed, probably 7/10. Just not sure why they had to make
Scarlet Witch a villain here w/o giving her much of a redemption (she killed so many people, I don't think she can get back from that lol).
With that said, Olsen was fantastic!

Still, my most anticipated movie is Thor anyways lol.

Thought it was alright, I was a little underwhelmed to be honest. Despite the surprises I honestly thought given the scope of the film that there would have been more surprise appearances than there actually were.

Given the possibilities & the potential story angles within the concept I actually think they undersold the whole thing quite badly to be truthful.

Another thing that's undersold is Dr. Strange himself, his power levels are all over the place. In previous films he's shown to be a lot more formidable than he is in this & a few of you have touched on it, the depiction of his powers was a lot more varied in the likes of Infinity War & the first Dr. Strange.

Overall, I expected more from it.. perhaps I expected to much. Didn't love it & didn't hate it, 6/10.

Saw it for a 4th time in Imax 3D and still love it.

I do think they could have expanded the Illuminati scene, have them have more of a fight. I mean Hawkeye was able to subdue her in Age of Ultron but it doesn't take away from what we got. Still a menacing performance and brutal send off for these vavariants. Carrie vibes all the way through.

Torn if a scene showing more of Wanda fall from grace was needed since it was clearly stated multiple times how the Darkhold influences the reader.

Definitely needed more mention of Vision.

The Music Battle was brilliant and one of the standout scenes. That along with the Wanda performing the Daywalking spell montage and Wanda's possession scene were great in Imax 3D.

This is how I rank MCU movies

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
  2. Doctor Strange MOM
  3. Infinity War/Endgame
  4. Winter Soldier
  5. Eternals
Overall CBM
  1. Spider Man 2
  2. Doctor Strange MOM
  3. Logan
  4. The Batman
  5. XMen DOFP
  6. Deadpool
  7. GOTG
  8. Infinity War
  9. XMen 2
  10. Spider Man
I guess I should have put Doctor Strange at the top of MCU films but my criteria between both lists is different.

Just came back from watching it and while it’s kind of a mess, I definitely liked it. It was just so much fun seeing Raimi’s direction and influences on an MCU movie. And this movie was visually gorgeous. Raimi’s camerawork and colours were just :atp:. The acting was terrific too. Cumberbatch, Olsen, Gomez, McAdams, all brought their A-game. But the movie had some pacing issues and having avoided spoilers, the story was not what I expected at all.

I thought the villain would be Mordo or evil Strange, not Wanda :csad:. I love Wanda so it was difficult seeing her become the villain. And this really seemed like Wanda on her own, they didn’t give her an out like a possession or something. Just Wanda being pushed too far. Which I think was done well enough but still after all that she’s been through, I wanted her to have some semblance of peace. Instead what we got was heartbreaking. The scene with her kids at the end was devastating. And Olsen did such a great job.

The Illuminati were essentially fan-service but it was fun nonetheless. I only wish we could’ve seen Xavier put up more of a fight with Wanda just because their comic book history. But everyone else was handled well IMO. I don’t think they needed more screentime or to have out up more of a fight. They were cameos and it was the Illuminati version of the characters which as far I understand were never supposed to be the nicest of the superheroes, right?

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with these characters next. Strange has grown so much since his debut. I wasn’t a fan initially but with each appearance, and especially this movie, I definitely really like him now. And I can’t wait too see America again, as well as Christine and Wanda, both of who I’m worried we might not see again.

I’m really curious to know what was lost in all the editing and the reshoots of this movie. If that movie would’ve worked better or if this is the best version of this film. I really hope we find out.

Just came back from watching it and while it’s kind of a mess, I definitely liked it. It was just so much fun seeing Raimi’s direction and influences on an MCU movie. And this movie was visually gorgeous. Raimi’s camerawork and colours were just :atp:. The acting was terrific too. Cumberbatch, Olsen, Gomez, McAdams, all brought their A-game. But the movie had some pacing issues and having avoided spoilers, the story was not what I expected at all.

I thought the villain would be Mordo or evil Strange, not Wanda :csad:. I love Wanda so it was difficult seeing her become the villain. And this really seemed like Wanda on her own, they didn’t give her an out like a possession or something. Just Wanda being pushed too far. Which I think was done well enough but still after all that she’s been through, I wanted her to have some semblance of peace. Instead what we got was heartbreaking. The scene with her kids at the end was devastating. And Olsen did such a great job.

The Illuminati were essentially fan-service but it was fun nonetheless. I only wish we could’ve seen Xavier put up more of a fight with Wanda just because their comic book history. But everyone else was handled well IMO. I don’t think they needed more screentime or to have out up more of a fight. They were cameos and it was the Illuminati version of the characters which as far I understand were never supposed to be the nicest of the superheroes, right?

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with these characters next. Strange has grown so much since his debut. I wasn’t a fan initially but with each appearance, and especially this movie, I definitely really like him now. And I can’t wait too see America again, as well as Christine and Wanda, both of who I’m worried we might not see again.

I’m really curious to know what was lost in all the editing and the reshoots of this movie. If that movie would’ve worked better or if this is the best version of this film. I really hope we find out.

I rather liked it myself. Sure, it had some problems, but, I agree, the acting was really good and the sometimes uneven pace didn't bother me. Sometimes you need a respite. I remember when I saw "Gravity". After it was over, I was like "THAT was only an hour and a half?!?!? Would someone get me a gurney and wheel me outta here?" :funny:

I would fully support having Raimi do the next Dr. Strange movie. I think he, after reflecting, would fix some of the "problems" (which didn't bother me) and could come up with one of the best of the MCU movies.....frankly, THIS movie is up there with my favorites.

EDIT: Bringing up Gravity got me to wondering if there's a MCU movie Cuaron might do. My personal opinion is that Prisoner of Azkaban was the best HP movie of the bunch. I know he signed a multi year deal and I don't know if he could even do it and I'm not sure when the deal expires.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed this. Great performances and Raimi has still got it. Some absolutely stunning sequences and a huge improvement on the average first movie for me.

Wanda was terrifying!

8/10 I already cant wait to watch this one again.

I rather liked it myself. Sure, it had some problems, but, I agree, the acting was really good and the sometimes uneven pace didn't bother me. Sometimes you need a respite. I remember when I saw "Gravity". After it was over, I was like "THAT was only an hour and a half?!?!? Would someone get me a gurney and wheel me outta here?" :funny:

I would fully support having Raimi do the next Dr. Strange movie. I think he, after reflecting, would fix some of the "problems" (which didn't bother me) and could come up with one of the best of the MCU movies.....frankly, THIS movie is up there with my favorites.

EDIT: Bringing up Gravity got me to wondering if there's a MCU movie Cuaron might do. My personal opinion is that Prisoner of Azkaban was the best HP movie of the bunch. I know he signed a multi year deal and I don't know if he could even do it and I'm not sure when the deal expires.
Would love for Raimi to come back and get to work on another MCU movie. This had a ton of character that’s been missing from a lot of Marvel movies. And would love to see Cuarón tackle an MCU movie or any superhero movie in general. Not sure if he’d even be interested though. Especially with Marvel, his sensibilities might be too different from them.

Anyway, I can’t wait for this to be available on digital. This has to be one of the few Marvel movies I want to see a bajillion more times.

Would love for Raimi to come back and get to work on another MCU movie. This had a ton of character that’s been missing from a lot of Marvel movies. And would love to see Cuarón tackle an MCU movie or any superhero movie in general. Not sure if he’d even be interested though. Especially with Marvel, his sensibilities might be too different from them.

Anyway, I can’t wait for this to be available on digital. This has to be one of the few Marvel movies I want to see a bajillion more times.

Raimi would be a natural for DS3 in the Dark Dimension if that were to come to pass. I'm salivating just thinking about it. Love Cuaron and he's one of those guys where I'd just say "If he wants it, give it to him and get outta the way".

Just saw it Saturday. It was ok. Not as good as the first.
Felt jumbled up.

@Kane52630

Ok Kane. It’s out on Disney+. Let’s get some high quality gifs!

Ive been busy but there's a ton already made on tumblr.

a3bda1c5902d74fe0f38096b35e104a90c601482.gifv

82f2e9fe573805d54aba7bbcd537787ae826983d.gifv

4ae12ab47f1e55ac3dd7a79c2534edc9c4c821e7.gifv

e1dbd509eff693ff09344e1328a8a326ed05303e.gifv

99348f2c4cc430d4663cc0ed5fac8e7096763138.gifv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"