Dune

View attachment 48816 My Duke and His Queen.
a04383fb-5093-4d60-a9bb-0da9c872c787-jpeg.48816
Wrong title.:cwink: Just saying.
Jessica - "Think on it, Chani: that princess will have the name, yet she'll live as less than a concubine - never to know a moment of tenderness from the man to whom she's bound. While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine - history will call is wives."

It's not like WB didn't know what they were getting when they hired Villeneuve to make Dune and, by the looks of things, they've still let him make the film that he wants to make. With that in mind I can't blame Villeneuve if this doesn't make money since that aspect is the job of the lead producer to deal with, which is the main person behind a film and outranks the director.

I'm very happy that they've decided to gamble on trying to make something truly great, using the best director in Hollywood right now in my opinion. While I love the superhero genre, and the MCU is certainly making film history, there's still nothing in the genre that I think measures up to something like Blade Runner 2049 in terms of storytelling depth and quality filmmaking and I really want to see things like that done with a high budget as well.

Completely agree with you guys. I’d sacrifice a sequel if it meant that we get one uncompromised artistic vision from a master like Denis. We get enough of the opposite to satiate everyone else.

Besides, the studios should have known what they were getting into when they hired Denis. Didn’t they buy the rights to Dune for the specific purpose of Denis directing it — since he was so vocal about it being his dream project? Unless I’m remembering that wrong...

Agree, wouldn't sacrifice his approach, pacing and vision, they have him for a reason.
However when $ > vision, if it means they will never do part 2 because the known ennui of the general audience who have the attention span of a 14 yo. I'll wish something had been done to guarantee part 2.
At least on the contract level, guaranteeing he could at least finish the first book, let alone some of this crew and cast extending all the way to Messiah and Children, which is what I wanted.
Now I'm anxious not knowing if they'll even get to finish the first book, leaving it without an ending.

Point being his full "vision" was for the whole book not just the first part. I hope they honer that vision.
I’d sacrifice a sequel if it meant that we get one uncompromised artistic vision .
But without completing part 2, his vision would be compromised.

Last edited:
What's wild about the David Lynch Dune is the merchandise that came with it. There were toys and coloring books for the thing, as if it was going to be a family-friendly megahit like Star Wars.

dunecoloring2.jpg

:dry:

There were spreads in the big toy catalogs from Toys R Us and the like.

I remember for YEARS there were discount piles of Dune stuff in the local toy stores.

I think many just don't (still) get that popularity in one venue doesn't translate to wide public appeal.

And... I'm feeling like that's going to be repeated here since I'm not sure after what I've seen that Denis cracked the nut any better than Lynch or the SYFY minis did.

I remember for YEARS there were discount piles of Dune stuff in the local toy stores.

I think many just don't (still) get that popularity in one venue doesn't translate to wide public appeal.

And... I'm feeling like that's going to be repeated here since I'm not sure after what I've seen that Denis cracked the nut any better than Lynch or the SYFY minis did.
To his credit, Denis's Dune does have more mass appeal solely based on the cast alone. You've got big names like Brolin, Momoa, Isaac and Bautista, and then you have Chalamet and Zendaya to draw in the younger crowds. WB knows this too since they seem to be heavily leaning on the cast judging from the posters.

Doing day and date for this movie and other major movies was foolish.

Being fair, I think part of it was Star Wars fever. Star Wars was mega popular and came out of relative nowhere. Everyone wanted to be the next Star Wars, even if they didn't understand why it was successful. Thus, poor decision making motivated by an overdose of greed. Sort of like how we got all the bad movies attempting to incompetently ape the MCU.

The film is having an IMAX presentation at TIFF today so we should be getting more reviews.

EDIT: I managed to get tickets for Monday's showing in Toronto! So you'll hear my review soon afterwards :)

Last edited:
Never read the books, i have seen some from the old film but those visuals look extremely dated. But still i want to see this film, this looks better because of the direction i guess and better computer graphics ofcourse.

Being fair, I think part of it was Star Wars fever. Star Wars was mega popular and came out of relative nowhere. Everyone wanted to be the next Star Wars, even if they didn't understand why it was successful. Thus, poor decision making motivated by an overdose of greed. Sort of like how we got all the bad movies attempting to incompetently ape the MCU.
And like when studios all wanted their own LOTR, Harry Potter, and a Young Adult series. Hollywood is notorious for following trends and failing pathetically.

What's wild about the David Lynch Dune is the merchandise that came with it. There were toys and coloring books for the thing, as if it was going to be a family-friendly megahit like Star Wars.

dunecoloring2.jpg

:dry:

Looking at this, I’m suddenly picturing the Third-Stage Navigator stealing 40 cakes. And that’s terrible.

And like when studios all wanted their own LOTR, Harry Potter, and a Young Adult series. Hollywood is notorious for following trends and failing pathetically.

Oh yeah, especially after The Hunger Games blew up.

Denis Villeneuve, Rebecca Ferguson Talk 'Dune' and What's Next - Variety

Villeneuve is already working on the second movie’s script and is set to produce the prequel series “Dune: The Sisterhood” for HBO Max, which focuses on the Bene Gesserit. When asked if an earlier version of Lady Jessica could make an appearance on the show, the filmmaker was tight-lipped.

“It’s a beautiful project, but it’s in development,” he explained. “And when things are in development, I have a tendency, I want to protect them because it’s in a fragile state.”

For her part, Ferguson has plenty more she’d like to explore with Lady Jessica in “Dune: Part Two” or any other “Dune” projects. “I am so in love with the multitude of character within her. I can’t wait to hopefully read something, sometime, to see the dynamic of what happens [next].”

I finished Heretics… it’s the weakest of the saga but also the craziest in a way. The last 30 pages ****ed me up.

It’s also his largest blue balls of a novel, like it’s 668 pages and it ends like it’s the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 film.

To his credit, Denis's Dune does have more mass appeal solely based on the cast alone. You've got big names like Brolin, Momoa, Isaac and Bautista, and then you have Chalamet and Zendaya to draw in the younger crowds. WB knows this too since they seem to be heavily leaning on the cast judging from the posters.

What do you mean, more mass appeal? The 1984 version had Patrick Stewart, Jürgen Prochnow, Max von Sydow, Sting…They we’re not smaller stars back then.
And with Kyle MacLachlan and Sean Young, they had their generations Chalamet and Zendaya as protagonist. Especially Sean Young was in a lot big movies in the 80s

What do you mean, more mass appeal? The 1984 version had Patrick Stewart, Jürgen Prochnow, Max von Sydow, Sting…They we’re not smaller stars back then.
And with Kyle MacLachlan and Sean Young, they had their generations Chalamet and Zendaya as protagonist. Especially Sean Young was in a lot big movies in the 80s
I'll give you Max von Sydow since he was fairly famous from The Exorcist among other things and obviously Sting since he had plenty of success as the frontman of The Police at that point and was about to embark on a successful solo career. As for the others you mentioned? Well, let's just put ourselves in 1984 for a moment.

Patrick Stewart had smaller roles in films like Dune and Excalibur but he wasn't at Jean-Luc Picard level famous yet since The Next Generation didn't debut until three years later.

Jurgen Prochnow was a fairly big star in Europe, but if we're talking American audiences (where the majority of Dune's box office came from), they'd only have really known him from Das Boot, which was a bigger success in international markets.

Dune was Kyle MacLachlan's first movie, so no one knew who he was back then. Of course now it's a different story since he was in a variety of films and shows since then.

I guess Sean Young was fairly well known by this point since she was in Stripes and Blade Runner but I still wouldn't call her a household name.

There's no contest in terms of well-known names when comparing the 2021 version to the 1984 film.

Need to see this one first before i can say its worth a sequel.
I read alot of complaints about the pace of this film.

Need to see this one first before i can say its worth a sequel.
I read alot of complaints about the pace of this film.
IMO, pacing isn't Villeneuve's forte, at least for his last two films. But it's not a dealbreaker for me. I didn't mind it so much with Blade Runner 2049 because it was such a visual feast but even though Arrival was around two hours, it was a very slow burn that felt longer. I'm thinking this might be more of a BR 2049.

IMO, pacing isn't Villeneuve's forte, at least for his last two films. But it's not a dealbreaker for me. I didn't mind it so much with Blade Runner 2049 because it was such a visual feast but even though Arrival was around two hours, it was a very slow burn that felt longer. I'm thinking this might be more of a BR 2049.
True, arrival felt very slow.

Interesting. If this movie was exclusively theatrical, it probably wouldn’t have made enough money to trigger the back end payments for the filmmakers and cast. At least with the HBO Max deal, they got their guaranteed back end payment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"