Dune

"Politically" speaking it's not the wisest move to inadvertently throw shade at the audience that you are hoping turn our for your new big sci-fi blockbuster. At the same time, he was asked about it by someone hoping to get clicks. There's a classier way to handle it, but I still kinda love the brutal honesty haha. It's like some fans want these respected directors to bow down and kiss the ring, so to speak. Eh screw that. With some notable exceptions, after 25 films the MCU formula is getting stale, has been for a long time and it's been getting harder to pretend that it's not for people who are growing tired of it. If you still love it, power to you and don't let one person's opinion bother you.

I feel kinda bad that Denis clumsily walked head first into this backlash, but thankfully he doesn't have Twitter.

I think the reason everyone gets asked about how they feel about Marvel films is because they’ve changed the entire landscape of cinema. Sure spin-offs and franchises have existed since Hollywood started, but now everything has to be in the same vein of Marvel movies. If the hundreds of thousands of horror movie sequels of the 80’s changed Hollywood, then directors would get asked how they feel about that.

I think the reason everyone gets asked about how they feel about Marvel films is because they’ve changed the entire landscape of cinema. Sure spin-offs and franchises have existed since Hollywood started, but now everything has to be in the same vein of Marvel movies. If the hundreds of thousands of horror movie sequels of the 80’s changed Hollywood, then directors would get asked how they feel about that.

Yeah. When you have a franchise that has grossed about 25B dollars, people tend to notice. There's some jealousy I'm sure, but I'm sure that's not the entire story. They aren't meant to be cinematic masterpieces. They are meant to entertain and, whether people like it or not, they are very popular. When was the last time we noticed a filmmaker trashing Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?

Who made a better movie is, by definition, subjective. Whose movie made more is not. I hope people think Dune is very good and I hope it makes a lot of money because it's one of my favorite stories.

One issue I have with directors looking down their nose at the MCU and similar films is that those movies are made to appeal to a very wide range of audiences and that’s not easy to do. Denis in general has only been able to do that a couple times (and even then, the reception from audiences doesn’t match most of Marvel’s output).

BR 2049 is one of my favorite films of all time but it bombed hard, and when you’re talking about a genre like sci-fi that requires huge effects budgets, that matters. You can argue that the original BR also wasn’t financially successful and that it was a niche thing, and maybe you’re right. But a sci-fi film with stunning visuals and big name actors should still have a chance at being successful in the present day; clearly WB thought it would be or they wouldn’t have sunk $200 million into it.

Obviously big box office results do not mean quality. But most films that do as well as MCU movies have found a way to connect to a lot of people and that shouldn’t be disregarded. If Denis wants to continue to play the hundred-million-dollar sandbox, he’s going to have to find a way to make sure his movies appeal to more than just film students. Will Dune resonate with people? Only time will tell.

One issue I have with directors looking down their nose at the MCU and similar films is that those movies are made to appeal to a very wide range of audiences and that’s not easy to do. Denis in general has only been able to do that a couple times (and even then, the reception from audiences doesn’t match most of Marvel’s output).

BR 2049 is one of my favorite films of all time but it bombed hard, and when you’re talking about a genre like sci-fi that requires huge effects budgets, that matters. You can argue that the original BR also wasn’t financially successful and that it was a niche thing, and maybe you’re right. But a sci-fi film with stunning visuals and big name actors should still have a chance at being successful in the present day; clearly WB thought it would be or they wouldn’t have sunk $200 million into it.

Obviously big box office results do not mean quality. But most films that do as well as MCU movies have found a way to connect to a lot of people and that shouldn’t be disregarded. If Denis wants to continue to play the hundred-million-dollar sandbox, he’s going to have to find a way to make sure his movies appeal to more than just film students. Will Dune resonate with people? Only time will tell.
In order for BR2049 or movies like it to be successful, You need to pull in people who do not normally like Big Sci Fi Movies.
Think of it as the Star Wars Effect.
But , in the case of Dune, you could call it the Game of Thrones Effect.
Dune, in it's own way, is an Uber Political version of GOT.

I got to see Dune tonight and I loved it.

To put it short it's truly an epic film. The scale is immense, the cinematography and visual designs are grandiose, and it has an amazing score and equally good sound design. The cast does a great job and I think the film flowed well from the slower world building to the more hectic battles. I never felt the length of the film.

I'm not sure how the GA will take to this as it's certainly not your average blockbuster. Some might find it too slow at times and it wouldn't surprise me if some felt that it was hard to really follow everything, but if it is possible to want a sequel more than I did before seeing this then that's where I am now.

In order for BR2049 or movies like it to be successful, You need to pull in people who do not normally like Big Sci Fi Movies.
Think of it as the Star Wars Effect.
But , in the case of Dune, you could call it the Game of Thrones Effect.
Dune, in it's own way, is an Uber Political version of GOT.

Agreed. That’s why I feel like Dune would have probably been a better fit for and HBO series (i.e., something much better than that SyFy garbage). It might be too obtuse to click with a mainstream audience in a film but with a series, there’s the chance that it builds a following over time the way that GoT did.

I just saw the movie. First of all, I might be a little biais, because I'm a big fan of Denis Villeneuve. Every movie he released is a hit for me. Plus, I've read the Dune's serie, which is one of my top books ever. That being said, I was a little worried about Dune, in part due to the early reviews. Understand that I was expecting a 90% on RT or higher. It was supposed to be Villeneuve's grand chef-d'oeuvre for God sake! Well, this is without a doubt his masterpiece. I never watch a sci-fi movie of that scale being THAT epic! I'm a bit on a rush now, but I will review it properly soon enough.

Opens in Finland this week and the biggest newspapers and medias have reviewed it, with scores ranging from 2, 3, 4 and 5/5. Seems the most common criticism has been the lack of attachment to the characters and the movie being too much of a set up to a sequel. But otherwise praise.

Agreed. That’s why I feel like Dune would have probably been a better fit for and HBO series (i.e., something much better than that SyFy garbage). It might be too obtuse to click with a mainstream audience in a film but with a series, there’s the chance that it builds a following over time the way that GoT did.

Bite your tongue! That “Syfy garbage” helped introduce the world of Dune to a new audience that never read the book (and it was more faithful than the 1984 movie). TV CGI aside, the miniseries still holds up.

Bite your tongue! That “Syfy garbage” helped introduce the world of Dune to a new audience that never read the book (and it was more faithful than the 1984 movie). TV CGI aside, the miniseries still holds up.
I Agree.
I Liked it,Too.

I'd take a Denis Villeneuve film over a Marvel film any day of the week, and he's totally not wrong about them, but he's also been anti-superheroes in general for years now and has always come across as a bit of a pretentious ass on the topic, imo. Which is fine, he's allowed to be that, lol.

Traitor! :o

You’re absolutely right. Box office is not an indicator of quality but it takes as much talent and vision to craft a movie that is meant to appeal to a wider audience as it does in making your own vision with a studio budget. If anything, I say the former is harder and more difficult to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"