• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sci-Fi Dune

71c446a73ae6d2bf38658d346331bc080bdd6bfe.jpg

It's been a few days and I'm still pretty torn.
As a movie I'm like at 10/10. It's fantastic. The cinematography, costume design, sound, music, direction, acting, everything is filled with care and detail and expertise. It's truly a great theatre going experience. Timmy holds the whole thing together masterfully, well beyond what I was hoping for, the mvp is his in my book concerning acting. Rebecca is strong second.
Now as an adaptation I'm hovering at like a generous 6/10. There's just too many issues for me as a novel junkie.
I pretty much accepted after Part 1 that although these were going to be amazingly well made movies, the accuracy of a true adaptation to the novels wasn't going to happen...and that's ok. I love Part 1 and my one time viewing so far of 2 was more than enjoyable, I got goose bumps, twice! that never happens.

I just saw Denis trashing 2049 the other day. Saying he regretted even making it. Sometimes I wish he'd just stop talking. :funny:

I really dont think he means that, i think he just feels burned by its box office turnout. There is clearly so much care and love put into that movie by him that i’m sure hes proud of it.

Watch that WOM go. May be somewhat limited in growth, as I think IMAX is getting the main draw for now. Which just looking at my local one, the earlier shows are 75-80% full. Last show of the night isn't too bad, so that may be how I go see it in Imax.
The nice thing is that this movie has IMAX pretty much covered for three weeks. If we see a similar Saturday bump internationally, and I suspect we will, Legendary / WB are partying their way through March.

We’re easily getting Children and God Emperor adapted within ten years.

Timothee's big speech to the fundamentalists felt like watching him ascend to acting Godhood.
God the way he was so commanding despite speaking in a fictional language...Some iconic moments in the entire film but that third act was brilliant. I havent really followed Chalamets career but hope this is one step more in him becoming a big name star(well as much one can be in this era). Him, Butler, Glen Powell all have potential.

Film had quite a few great performances form both veterans and rising stars.

If that Dylan biopic is actually well done and he goes for it, he could have his massive hit + his sniff at gold within 2-3 years of each other.

One thing I love about the third act, which I know some people didn't like...

Is how the Harkonnen were taken out and the final battle won. A large chunk of the movie builds up the myth around Paul and Jessica. He is the chosen one who has come to lead these people to paradise. So how does he defeat his enemies? By demystifying them, destroying their "grandeur", and smashing through the systems that made them look so powerful in the first place.
  • The Baron goes from a larger-than-life figure to simply being cut down in a room full of the most influential people in the Imperium. Rabban runs away from Muad'Dib, his forces no match for the Fremen's guerrilla warfare, and he eventually dies unceremoniously. And the legendary Feyd-Rautha makes a mistake Paul already learned from in part one. "Look down my lord, you would've joined me in death." The Harkonnen are completely stripped of their legendary and fearsome reputation.
  • Meanwhile, the Sardukar might be among the strongest fighters in the Imperium, but they're obviously no match for a sandworm. When Paul says in part one "His daughters have yet to marry." Kynes calls him "A lost boy hiding in a hole in the ground." Yet here, he simply tells everyone he'll marry her, and does it. Then the most powerful man in the Imperium kneels to kiss Paul's ring. House Corrino too is stripped of all its status and mystique.
So, while Paul is rising to mythical status, his enemies are reduced to simple human beings. The great houses don't accept his ascendancy? Fine, we'll just make them accept it. To borrow a quote from a series that borrows a lot from this franchise: "Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick. A shadow on the wall. And a very small man can cast a very large shadow."

Seeing that play out here, with the pure horror on Chani's face, while our "hero" shots are filmed to mirror previous Harkonnen shots. It's masterfully done.

Now this is what IMAX screens were made for. I think this is the first film I've seen in IMAX since Oppenheimer, and by the sands was it worth it. I do think the film takes a little bit to get started, but once it does, it hits the ground running and never lets up. I also really should've rewatched the first film before coming back into this world. Also, even more than the first Dune, this is a stunning film to look at with some amazing cinematography, in particular the moments on Giedi Prime.

Everyone brought their A-game, and it's hard to pick one MVP, but it might go to Austin Butler for just how incredibly menacing he was. There are some actors who I wish appeared in the film more, but there's so much happening that I get not everyone having an equal amount of screen time. Plus, hey, we still hopefully have another film down the line.

But seriously, whenever this gets a physical release or hits HBO Max, I need to watch this and Part One back to back.

We’re easily getting Children and God Emperor adapted within ten years.
Not so sure God Emperor comes within 10 years. Children of Dune is likely to be split between 2 films itself, and Denis is by all accounts probably doing something else before going back for Dune Messiah. So thats probably at least 3 years away, and then however long it takes to do Children of Dune. So God Emperor could be sometime after. I do worry though that God Emperor of Dune could be where the series becomes too much for some general audience members.

I don’t think he was trashing the quality. He just don’t want to do a sequel to someone else’s work
I just saw Denis trashing 2049 the other day. Saying he regretted even making it. Sometimes I wish he'd just stop talking. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"