Elder Scrolls V

That is the thing, they aren't irrelevant. Game reviews are still very much important considering their price and the natural of BS marketing. The Aliens Colonial Marines situation isn't decades old. How about No Man's Sky?

We can talk about coverage all we want, but reviews matter.

And a less extreme example would be Mafia 3. Not a horrible game. Just repetitive, lifeless, and not worth day one prices. If I had listened to the reviews I would have saved myself $48.

And a less extreme example would be Mafia 3. Not a horrible game. Just repetitive, lifeless, and not worth day one prices. If I had listened to the reviews I would have saved myself $48.
Yep. I am very interested in Mafia 3. I will still play it. But I am totally waiting for black Friday now. I am not playing $50 bucks for it early.

That can actually cost people more money. For example I have Amazon Prime. If I preorder a game I get a discount and the game costs $48 instead of $63 and Amazon doesnt charge me until it ships. When reviews are released a few days early I still have a chance to cancel the preorder if the reviews are bad. But now Ill either have to preorder and take a chance on Bethesda games or wait on the reviews and pay $63.

Ahh, fair point. I hadn't considered that, I still buy my games from the store and rarely give online purchasing a thought.

Of course if you wait even longer the game will naturally drop and you can probably get it for less than $48 :woot:

That is the thing, they aren't irrelevant. Game reviews are still very much important considering their price and the natural of BS marketing. The Aliens Colonial Marines situation isn't decades old. How about No Man's Sky?

We can talk about coverage all we want, but reviews matter.

Nah. Viewing ten minutes of uninterrupted gameplay will tell you more than a hundred reviews. Also I didn't play either of those because it was obvious to me that they wouldn't be very good. No reviews required.

Nah. Viewing ten minutes of uninterrupted gameplay will tell you more than a hundred reviews. Also I didn't play either of those because it was obvious to me that they wouldn't be very good. No reviews required.
It is like you ignore every bit of false advertisement ever... We saw 10 mins of Colonial Marines. We saw ten mins of No Man's Sky. 10 mins of The Order. It is very easy to craft footage.

It is like you ignore every bit of false advertisement ever... We saw 10 mins of Colonial Marines. We saw ten mins of No Man's Sky. 10 mins of The Order. It is very easy to craft footage.

^This. There was quite a bit of footage from No Man's Sky on the net before release. More than 10 minutes...and none of it was in the final game. And without good pre release reviews no one knew until a bunch of people had bought that ****** game. No Man's Sky and Colonial Marines are exactly why we need prerelease reviews.

Two things. First, the "ten minutes" I was referring to was of footage from streamers, YouTubers, etc. In other words uninterrupted, unedited, raw gameplay from the release version of the game.

Second, the official, polished footage released for the games mentioned above looked bad enough on its own to discourage me from playing them. If you routinely get duped by **** like that, then I can see why you would be upset though.

This is how ive gone about purchasing every single game I own. Gameplay shows and tells more than any review.

Two things. First, the "ten minutes" I was referring to was of footage from streamers, YouTubers, etc. In other words uninterrupted, unedited, raw gameplay from the release version of the game.

Second, the official, polished footage released for the games mentioned above looked bad enough on its own to discourage me from playing them. If you routinely get duped by **** like that, then I can see why you would be upset though.

Not everyone shares your tastes. Countless gamers might look at footage and see a concept and type of game they like that you dont. No Man's Sky as it was advertised was a game many were interested in.

And allow me to bow to the person that looked at that No Man's Sky pre-release footage and just knew that all that footage wouldnt be in the game and that the developers were lying about pretty much everything and were showing footage, features, concepts, and mechanics that wouldnt be in the game.

And that streamer footage you were referring to...where is that going to come from if copies arent being sent out for review before the release date?

Here's the thing guys, regardless of the game, buying a game day one is a bad move. You are literally paying the highest price for the worst version of the game whether or not the game gets good press or not.

Here's the thing guys, regardless of the game, buying a game day one is a bad move. You are literally paying the highest price for the worst version of the game whether or not the game gets good press or not.

Not really. Not when you have companies like Amazon that offer 20% off on 1st week sales and Best Buy that gives $10 back with preorders in addition to 20% if you opt into GCU. Companies like WB have also experimented with giving 10% discounts on digital preorders.. Companies are already incentivizing day on sales so its not the highest price.

The only reviews that might have changed my mind on a game that I can remember in the last couple of gens were the 2 frauds, Duke Nukem and that Aliens game. But those were never going to be launch buys for me anyway so I would have found out from other people.

Not really. Not when you have companies like Amazon that offer 20% off on 1st week sales and Best Buy that gives $10 back with preorders in addition to 20% if you opt into GCU. Companies like WB have also experimented with giving 10% discounts on digital preorders.. Companies are already incentivizing day on sales so its not the highest price.

The game is still going to be cheaper than what you paid for it six months from now with the majority of major updates already released. You're paying premium price regardless of whatever discounts you get for the worst version of a game.

The game is still going to be cheaper than what you paid for it six months from now with the majority of major updates already released. You're paying premium price regardless of whatever discounts you get for the worst version of a game.

Almost every game will be cheaper in a few months. I just disagree that launch day will always be the most expensive. That is no longer the case. Its most expensive a week or two after launch. And you arent always getting the "worst" game as not all games have significant patches/updates.

Almost every game will be cheaper in a few months. I just disagree that launch day will always be the most expensive. That is no longer the case. Its most expensive a week or two after launch. And you arent always getting the "worst" game as not all games have significant patches/updates.

Every major triple A release has had major patches this generation.

Every major triple A release has had major patches this generation.

I dont recall any for Ratchet and Clank outside of some minor bug fixes. Ditto on Uncharted 4. Its MP did but thats constantly evolving.

And how many are months later?

Depending on the game, it largely happens within the first three to six months and we're just talking bug fixes. If you want to get into DLC nonsense and complete editions, I can rant on that for days.

I dont recall any for Ratchet and Clank outside of some minor bug fixes. Ditto on Uncharted 4. Its MP did but thats constantly evolving.

I wouldn't call some of this stuff minor.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...s-bugs-fixes-tech-head-trophy-issue/#/slide/1

Last edited:
I only buy certain games on day 1 and for those I want whatever version is available straightaway rather than waiting months till it's at its best. I would also be less price sensitive for those as I am going to get a lot more value out of it in time played than it is priced at anyway. For everything else though I'll wait till it's cheap, and even better if all updates are out.

Depending on the game, it largely happens within the first three to six months and we're just talking bug fixes. If you want to get into DLC nonsense and complete editions, I can rant on that for days.
Funny, I remember being able to play Uncharted 4 all the way through Day One without issue. Heck outside of multiplayer games, I was able to play through every game I bought right through the first week of purchase. This even applied to The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, even if ran smoother with patches later and got extremely worthwhile DLC. They already had hundreds of hours of gameplay.

I only buy certain games on day 1 and for those I want whatever version is available straightaway rather than waiting months till it's at its best. I would also be less price sensitive for those as I am going to get a lot more value out of it in time played than it is priced at anyway. For everything else though I'll wait till it's cheap, and even better if all updates are out.

I think we all have those games we have to have out of the gate. I just want people to open their eyes a bit and remove themselves from the cycle of hype culture and preorder/day one nonsense. I received an email from Capcom wanting me to preorder the digital version of Resident Evil 7. Why the **** would I logically do that? It's not like the game is going magically delete itself from the servers after a certain number of people download it.

Funny, I remember being able to play Uncharted 4 all the way through Day One without issue. Heck outside of multiplayer games, I was able to play through every game I bought right through the first week of purchase. This even applied to The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, even if ran smoother with patches later and got extremely worthwhile DLC. They already had hundreds of hours of gameplay.

I spent 25 bucks on the Witcher 3 in December 2015 and got a more stable and complete version of the game than the folks that shelled out 60 bucks day one. If you don't see why that is a problem, I don't know what else to say.

Last edited:
I think we all have those games we have to have out of the gate. I just want people to open their eyes a bit and remove themselves from the cycle of hype culture and preorder/day one nonsense. I received an email from Capcom wanting me to preorder the digital version of Resident Evil 7. Why the **** would I logically do that? It's not like the game is going magically delete itself from the servers after a certain number of people download it.

I spent 25 bucks on the Witcher 3 in December 2015 and got a more stable and complete version of the game than the folks that shelled out 60 bucks day one. If you don't see why that is a problem, I don't know what else to say.

I think people are more aware now of the downsides (maybe weren't so much a year or 2 ago) and for many they don't outweigh the chance to play a game from day 1 in whatever state it is in. I mean if you wait even longer you can pick up ALL great games for next to nothing. It's all about people's individual balancing act on price sensitivity/utility/functionality for a specific game.

So I paid 48 bucks day One, played it 6 months earlier and got my beautiful Steelbox. Yeah, felt like a good deal for me for a game I was waiting quite a while for. Also how did you buy a "more complete" version, when they didn't sell a GOTY edition with the DLC until this summer? :huh:

there are certain games where I will buy day one or week one. but those are usually titles, brands, studios, etc. that I trust and have good experience and familiarity with.

If I deem a game must have or if I've been strongly anticipating a game, I will usually buy that during launch week.

Also, if there's a pretty sweet preorder or day one bonus, I will get the game right away.

but, that being said, I do like to read reviews before picking up a game, so the sooner the review gets out the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"