WandaVision Elizabeth Olsen is Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch

I'm not sure that's what happened. I can hear the accent in this clip. It's clearly there.

There does seem to be a trace of an accent there. It's been a while since I've watched Civil War. But I didn't really hear one in Infinity War and it's definitely been nowhere near as strong as in AOU. I don't think even in Civil War it was as strong as AOU. It wasn't only recently with WandaVision that people have been wondering where her accent has disappeared to.

View attachment 42814

Elizabeth is absolutely adorable in the classic comic book accurate Scarlet Witch attire. She made it work well for her. Can't wait to see her updated outfit in Doctor Strange and The Multiverse of Madness.
Multiverse is going to be a crazy film anyway so hopefully they can get quite ambitious with the modern outfit.

Not in the same way as it was in Age of Ultron where it was much stronger. I didn't really notice in those other films and others have pointed out that she had seemed to have lost it for those. That's why it was more noticeable when she got it back in WandaVision and it was similar to Age of Ultron.
Her accent was more pronounced in AOU where she played a non-native (but fairly fluent) english-speaker living in Europe and working with other people who also used English as a second language. In subsequent movies her accent was less noticeable because her English was improving. I do think traces of her original accent could still be heard from time to time. Usually in the more emotional moments. I guess that's consistent with her sounding more noticeably foreign when she angrily confronts the S.W.O.R.D. troops in WandaVision.

Not in the same way as it was in Age of Ultron where it was much stronger. I didn't really notice in those other films and others have pointed out that she had seemed to have lost it for those. That's why it was more noticeable when she got it back in WandaVision and it was similar to Age of Ultron.
Wanda had a stronger accent in Age of Ultron because that is her natural Sokovian accent (when speaking English) and she was living in Sokavia. When she moved to the States and started living with the Avengers her accent softened, as will naturally happen when someone moves to a new part of the world for an extended period of time. People will start to adopt the local accent. That only goes so far, however, but if someone is actively trying to “lose their accent” to better blend with the locals they can basically eliminate it entirely over time. But even in those cases they will occasionally let their natural accent “slip” when distracted, emotional, drunk, etc...

Wanda’s accent softened between Age of Ultron and Civil War because that is what tends to happen with native accents when someone lives in a different part of the world but also because she was “trying” to lose it. Thus, it was even softer as more time passed when we got to Infinity War/Endgame. Inside of Westview it’s completely gone because she’s immersed in the American sitcom façade. When she was more heated and emotional her accent slipped back towards more of her natural accent. Which is entirely consistent with how it works in real life.

Her accent was more pronounced in AOU where she played a non-native (but fairly fluent) english-speaker living in Europe and working with other people who also used English as a second language. In subsequent movies her accent was less noticeable because her English was improving. I do think traces of her original accent could still be heard from time to time. Usually in the more emotional moments. I guess that's consistent with her sounding more noticeably foreign when she angrily confronts the S.W.O.R.D. troops in WandaVision.
Exactly. I have to admit I’ve been confused with much of the conversations regarding Wanda’s accent over the years because I assumed most people understood how accents work. But it seems to me that many don’t seem to realize how people will naturally soften their accent over time as they live among people speaking with the “proper” local pronunciations and how they can let their natural accent slip in certain situations.

I mean, seriously, have folks never heard the expression of someone “letting their accent slip”?

Wanda had a stronger accent in Age of Ultron because that is her natural Sokovian accent (when speaking English) and she was living in Sokavia. When she moved to the States and started living with the Avengers her accent softened, as will naturally happen when someone moves to a new part of the world for an extended period of time. People will start to adopt the local accent. That only goes so far, however, but if someone is actively trying to “lose their accent” to better blend with the locals they can basically eliminate it entirely over time. But even in those cases they will occasionally let their natural accent “slip” when distracted, emotional, drunk, etc...

Wanda’s accent softened between Age of Ultron and Civil War because that is what tends to happen with native accents when someone lives in a different part of the world but also because she was “trying” to lose it. Thus, it was even softer as more time passed when we got to Infinity War/Endgame. Inside of Westview it’s completely gone because she’s immersed in the American sitcom façade. When she was more heated and emotional her accent slipped back towards more of her natural accent. Which is entirely consistent with how it works in real life.

Exactly. I have to admit I’ve been confused with much of the conversations regarding Wanda’s accent over the years because I assumed most people understood how accents work. But it seems to me that many don’t seem to realize how people will naturally soften their accent over time as they live among people speaking with the “proper” local pronunciations and how they can let their natural accent slip in certain situations.

I mean, seriously, have folks never heard the expression of someone “letting their accent slip”?

I know lots of people who aren't native English speakers who have been living in either the US, Canada or the UK for years and have not lost their accent at all. They still sound like they are from their country of origin, even if they have been trying to lose their accent. Sometimes on the phone it can be even more pronounced because you can only concentrate on their voice.

I don't think it's a rule that people will always lose their accents if living abroad or trying to lose it. It depends on how good their ears are at hearing things and how easily they can assimilate that information and imitate the sound. That's why some are better at impressions than others and also why some are better at languages than others.

While Wanda's accent may have slipped in WandaVision, she was at her most angry and emotional either when she said to Thanos "you took everything from me" in Endgame, or when she had to kill Vision herself at the end of Infinity War. Those were certainly more emotional moments for her than her situation in WandaVision, but it didn't manifest in the same way in those films.

I know lots of people who aren't native English speakers who have been living in either the US, Canada or the UK for years and have not lost their accent at all. They still sound like they are from their country of origin, even if they have been trying to lose their accent. Sometimes on the phone it can be even more pronounced because you can only concentrate on their voice.

I don't think it's a rule that people will always lose their accents if living abroad or trying to lose it. It depends on how good their ears are at hearing things and how easily they can assimilate that information and imitate the sound. That's why some are better at impressions than others and also why some are better at languages than others.

While Wanda's accent may have slipped in WandaVision, she was at her most angry and emotional either when she said to Thanos "you took everything from me" in Endgame, or when she had to kill Vision herself at the end of Infinity War. Those were certainly more emotional moments for her than her situation in WandaVision, but it didn't manifest in the same way in those films.
I didn’t say people “always lose their accents” when living abroad. I said they will soften over time. And that will only go so far. If the person is motivated to “lose it”, they can work on it further. Not everyone is equal in this regard. Depends on how good of an ear they have. How self aware they are about how they sound. And frankly how linguistically talented they are. Not everyone is equally good at playing a musical instrument or singing either.

This is essentially what actors do all the time. They put on an accent. Most would have to work hard at it. Some are more talented at it than others.

Accents come and go. Wanda's faded as she got away from Sokovia but it's still there (outside of the bubble). It does creep in at times though even in the bubble when something is mentioned that she doesn't want mentioned.

Just look at Gary Oldman, he had to get a voice/dialect coach to help him with his English accent for a film.... despite being from the UK.

Happy Birthday to the Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) who turned 32 !

Wasn't that yesterday?

This mini series format has done wonders for the expansion/exploration of her character and she's done a fantastic job with it. Would love to see them explore this further but I have a feeling this show is just a really big "one shot"

I hope after this series that Lizzie Olsen gets many more offers for movies. I want to see her in some comedies as well as dramas. Maybe even an action movie. Directors should see how much potential she has.

Hats off to her work in this series. By far and away the star of Wandavision.
I thought she was really good and i have even more appreciation for the character. SW really managed to spread her wings and grow out of the box they kind put her in the MCU.

For the most part her acting ranged from good to great. Hopefully she can keep it going in DS2.

307f1c796e66e910bddf3f5a82d5d8db7a851b9d.jpg

The Scarlet Witch is here and I love this outfit. Esp the headband.

Congratulations Lizzy you have brought new layers and depth to the character of The Scarlet Witch, the costume was a nice balance of the traditional with the ultimates costume.

I wasn't really expecting Wanda to full on become the Scarlet Witch in this series, but I'm very happy about that.

when they brought in the sister of Mary Kate & Ashley in 2014, I thought she ‘ll suck.
Now I think no one could’ve portrayed her better.
How could she even be related to the Olsen twins and their, let’s call it “talent”

Olsen/Scarlet Witch may just be my new favourite MCU actress/character.

She's got the sexiest costume as well. More interesting than her old costume. I wish she were getting her own movie like Black Widow though. I still would like a season 2 because Lizzie Olsen is so riveting to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"