Episode 1: Glorious Purpose (Spoiler Discussion)

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
And so it begins...

Fri5fTX.gif

Well, that was an awesome premiere

Definitely very different from WandaVision and Falcon & The Winter Soldier. Loki having a sci-fi genre to it unlike the fantasy and espionage vibe of the prior two series

The music and the set design are top notch. The TVA has this gorgeous 60s/70s retro look and feel to it

Tom Hiddleston just flat out continues to kill it as Loki. Looking forward to seeing him shine even more as he will become the center of attention

The comedy was on point

I’m liking Owen Wilson’s character too

One of the things I dug with this was it pointed out one of my gripes with Avengers Loki where Mr. God of Mischief was just a cackling evil absolute monster, boring take over the world villain - and made it a solid character beat. So that was a nice surprise.

Definitely very different from WandaVision and Falcon & The Winter Soldier. Loki having a sci-fi genre to it unlike the fantasy and espionage vibe of the prior two series

The music and the set design are top notch. The TVA has this gorgeous 60s/70s retro look and feel to it

Tom Hiddleston just flat out continues to kill it as Loki. Looking forward to seeing him shine even more as he will become the center of attention

The comedy was on point

The humour was definitely a standout. Loki switching from pompous arrogance to scared confusion at a moment's notice definitely made me laugh out loud a few times. Like when he was sentenced to be "reset".

"...what does that mean? Is that bad?!"

Oh, I'm going to like this show a lot. What are the odds that hooded Loki is Lady Loki? High, right?
I think that is the very popular opinion.

I adored the first episode. Honestly, some of my favorite Marvel content by a lot. The mood, the performance, the general feel. This felt like the Marvel version of Beetlejuice's afterlife. The poor bastard who had no ticket. Loki's reaction to the power imbalance in that place was killing me. :funny:

When Loki went back and did what we all would do, look at his future. It hit me right in the feels. This is the gun from the first and third flicks that I want to hang out with. Also big ups that they got it out of the way early that we are clearly chasing Loki.

There is so much more I could say about the little thing in this episode. The general insignificants of what has happened so far, Gugu making Laufeyson sound like the name of a middle class dude from Santa Clara, the infinite paper weights, the great music, so on and so forth. I just really, really loved it.

Last edited:

The comedy was on point

I was not expecting Wilson's character to be what he is. He was a bit more put upon then they hinted. I really liked it.

I dug it. Funny, yet sad. I'm loving the Loki/Mobius dynamic, as I was certain I would. Gugu M'Batha Raw is one of my favorite actresses and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Wunmi Mosaku's Hunter B-15.

To be honest, this wasn't even one of the series I was most looking forward to when it was first announced, but just about everything they've shown us to date has reeled me in. I'm already anxious for next Wednesday to arrive!

Just to confirm that I understood things correctly, resetting the timeline means erasing it from existence?

So does that mean that the TVA had erased the entire 2012 timeline where Loki had escaped?

I'm just watching it now so maybe this will get answered, but I'm really curious why Steve Rogers isn't also considered a time variant.

I really liked the pilot, the character exploration of Loki was prefect and great.

The original L0K! received redemption that ultimately served a purpose, this variant has an opportunity to take a different approach but inorder too accomplished it. He'll have to face his greatest advisary a version of himself that's is even more ruthless ..

Tom continues to shine in this role and his partnership with Owen seems like a match made in heaven.

Looking forward to seeing how this mystery will undoubtedly unfold.

The show is really good and is one of my favorite kind of sci fi stories dealing with time. I really like the feel of the show so far. I thought the animation explaining things was good too, looked like kree vs skrulls in one shot. The music in the cartoon is very 50's sci fi.
Just curious about the setting of the TVA being a 50's style, this isn't the first time I have noticed time related stories or sci fi in general and the 1950's. Is there something about that era that writers keep going to it for a setting?

I'm just watching it now so maybe this will get answered, but I'm really curious why Steve Rogers isn't also considered a time variant.

I'm confused with how it all works, but according Judge Renslayer, "what they (Avengers) did was suppose to happen." So therefore, none of them are time variants.

yeah everything in the timeline is supposed to happen. In endgame the avengers time traveled so that was also meant to happen, but loki from the past (avengers 2012) was meant to go back to Asgard with Thor, not use the tesseract and teleport away. That diverts from the main timeline. So I guess anything that steers away from the main timeline is a variant. The only confusing thing is we don't know what is and isn't part of the main timeline, except what we saw in the movies. There are still movies we haven't seen so who knows if there are variants to those timelines yet.

Oh, I'm going to like this show a lot. What are the odds that hooded Loki is Lady Loki? High, right?

Also, is the Loki they are hunting Laufey's child or a daughter that Frigga and Odin had together and named Loki? Perhaps in Lady Loki's timeline Odin never found and adopted Laufey's child.

I don’t quite get this: the EG Loki is already a branch from main (or sacred) timeline, so whether he escapes or not should have no impact on the main timeline. The entire branch can be wiped (or reset). Then why is he a variant?

Whereas Cap going back and returning as an old man does have an impact on the main timeline (whatever he does while back doesn’t matter since it’s a branch otherwise he should be a variant), unless that’s supposed to happen.

It's Steve Rogers, with the ****ed-up ending he got, the MCU better not touch that subject.
Avengers would already do what they did, this is explained in IW by Dr. Strange. So maybe Steve coming back was supposed to happen, which makes his ending even more ****ed up. But maybe Tony was right in the end, Steve is a selfish liar.

I really enjoyed the first episode. Now, I feel like the next phase is really debuting. I can't wait for what's to come.

I'm deeply curious now as to exactly *what was* the bet with Thor that resulted in Loki pulling the "D.B. Cooper" heist

Tom, as ever, slays it as Loki. Especially when you start to see Loki's vulnerable side. Starting with seeing Frigga's death (even original Timeline Loki didn't see that, was only told about it after the fact from one of the Einherjar), continuing with Odin's death, the reconciliation with Thor, and then witnessing his own death at Thanos' hand (part of me wishes, though, that they had also included Loki's last words to Thor before his death, "I assure you, brother, the sun will shine on us again."), Tom's acting is just impeccable

It's Steve Rogers, with the ****ed-up ending he got, the MCU better not touch that subject.
Avengers would already do what they did, this is explained in IW by Dr. Strange. So maybe Steve coming back was supposed to happen, which makes his ending even more ****ed up. But maybe Tony was right in the end, Steve is a selfish liar.

Just curious, what is so asterisked up about Rogers' ending, in your opinion?

Off to a really good start. Damn I wish the phase 4 movies came out in order as I would think some events in Strange 2 would have connected to the show or they would have some references to the movie in this.

I'm confused with how it all works, but according Judge Renslayer, "what they (Avengers) did was suppose to happen." So therefore, none of them are time variants.
Yes they were suppose to lose in IWs and gather the stones in the future to erase what happen. Kind of made them do extra work if everything is kind of pre determined by the Time people. I guess Gamora is not a time variant but she should be as she is still around from the past.

I think TVA decides on who they allow maybe based on how they may help. They weigh ther history because Steve going back probably should have been a variant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"