Official Wolverine and The X-men, Episode 4, "Overflow" Discussion

Okay, just caught this episode and quite frankly, it was just okay. Not bad, but certainly not as good as the three-part series opener.

Dread touched on most of these points in his review but it does bare repeating. If the set-up for the show is to have Xavier communicate to Wolverine 20 years into the future to prevent certain calamities from taking place via, for lack of a better word, "psychic hotline" it does make Wolverine a bit of a tool, which is ironic because the character is someone who doesn't like being manipulated given his history. Likewise, why Wolverine, other than the obvious "he's the titular character of the series?" Also, wouldn't the X-Men changing the future result in Xavier not remembering the changes that take place in the future world? Heck, over in Heroes, we get a similair idea and their take is that trying to prevent a certain future from taking place makes things worse. But then again, shows built around time travel have always had these paradoxes.

I do like, however, how the interaction between Logan and Emma is shaping up. He doesn't trust her completely and knows she has another agenda, but at the same time Emma is also sincere in wanting to help the X-Men, so it makes for an interesting dynamic. Also, both of them have a lot more in common than they care to admit, being that they both come from shady beginnings and yet are trying to make admends. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the shows creators make some kind of love/hate relationship between them. After all, Cyclops (even though he's the one who is having nookie with Emma on a regular basis in the comics) is behaving in classic "The love of my life is gone so I just don't give a damn" mode. Sure, Kitty tells us that Scott was once a go-getter "First one on the plane" type, but it's hard to think that given with how little he's done so far other than be emo and shoot his eye beams when told.

BTW, nice use of Emma Frost's diamond form and Logan's reaction.

Oh, and Forge is still acting like the resident "tech-geek," especially with that whole "OMG! I just fixed the Blackbird!" scene. Although Logan scratching the underbelly really did make him look like a dick--which was how Claremont portrayed him often enough--except he's supposed to be the leader. Yeah, way to show off those "leadership" qualities to inspire loyalty to from your subordinates there, Logan.

Storm seemed fitting in this episode, and we get an idea that, even though worshiped as all but a diety by her grateful African subjects (which country in Africa is another question entirely) and that she doesn't consider herself above them. Although, considering how this episode establishes that her weather controlling powers are capable of destroying an entire contentient, one would think the other X-Men would be window dressing if they ever had to go up against evil mutants, Sentinels, and Magneto, but that's a flaw in the source material, I guess.

Likewise, the Shadow King was pretty good, although the whole business of him swapping bodies to get closer to Storm reminded me way too much of that scene in Fallen, in which the demon keeps transfering itself to other people while taking to Denzel Washington. Yeah, I know it's the Shadow King's power and that he's a telepath, but it was getting excessive with the whole transference scenes where he makes his way from one host to another.

But the last couple of minutes just seemed a little bit much. First, in order to stop Storm, instead of going with the most obvious suggestion made by Frost to have Cyclops hit Storm with his eye beams (he can control the intensity of the blasts so it's very likely he wouldn't have killed her) Wolverine comes up with a watered down version of the "fastball special" in which he climbs up a cliff, jumps off and has Cyclops blast him in the back to propell him forward. Umm, yeah.

Oh, and then, after finding out from Emma that Shadow King is influencing Ororo's mind and that he's too powerful for Emma to fight against telepathically, what happens? Why, the Shadow King, having weakened Ororo to the point where he has to go into Logan, gets cold cocked by Emma after she uses her astral form to tackle him, ensuing a psychic battle that mostly consists of Emma's and Shadow King's arms morphing into weapons. Didn't we just establish that he's too powerful for Emma to take on? And how the hell can the other X-Men see incorporal psychic manifestations? I thought astral forms, by definition, were invisible (but then again, Dr. Strange's astral form can be see by people with psychic powers aparently as well)? And there's no one else close enough for the Shadow King to possess so he gets weaker? What about all the villiagers hiding in the trees to escape the flooding? Aren't they still around? And wouldn't the same weakness apply to Emma since she too has been out of her own body for as long as Shadow King has and is supposed to be weaker than he is? Yeah, I know it's a cartoon based off of a comic book series, but you think the writers of the show could have come up with something that would have been a little more logical and still showed Emma as a bad ass telepath.

All in all, I'd say this was the weakest episode so far, but still, it's only the fourth episode, so I'll cut it a little slack. Hopefully, the next one will be a step up.

I do agree with the idea that out of the first four episodes, this was the poorest. Historically speaking, Storm episodes have usually not been the best for X-Men shows, unless you are a fan of Storm. At the very least, she isn't addled with a nephew this time around. ;)

As for Shadow King, unlike Frost, he literally cannot live without a host body and weakens the longer he is without one, perhaps noting why Frost was able to gain the upper hand. I should note that she landed the "finisher" after Shadow King was distracted. As for there possibly being others around the area, that was true, but perhaps none in the IMMEDIATE area. Frankly, this defeat of Shadow King made a lot more sense than his defeat in "Whatever It Takes" in 1993. Which is why I at least credit this episode with being a better version of that episode.

Besides, heroes prevailing against stronger opponents is standard fare.

It was an ok episode but not that great. Apart from the Emma/Logan interaction and seeing Storm again I wasnt as interested in this episode as the first three. While Storms VA brings something different to Storm that we havent had in a long time (if ever) it seemed a bit forced but I imagine that she will grow into it.

I like Storm's voice actress. At the very least, Kyle & Johnson don't give Storm those horribly cheesy lines that she had in the 90's series (where it seemed the director would always tell Storm's actress, "Okay, once more, only MORE MELODRAMATIC" with every line). Without being saddled by Spyke, WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN may end up providing the best version of Storm yet put to the small screen.

^ Yea I loved that part. I love that you can sorta see Cyke and Emma getting close. He was helping her and what not. I wanna see Cyke take off the visors and go full power with his optic blasts.

Hopefully Kyle & Johnson decide to "borrow" from Evolution's past and they could have such a moment in the inevitable fight against Juggernaut, as they had Cyclops do in "THE STUFF OF HEROES" (which was one of the best Evolution episodes after "ON ANGEL'S WINGS").

"Think your little visor's gonna scare me? I'm RAW POWER!"

"You want it raw, tough guy? You got it....RAW!"

Classic. :up:

Even though Scott STILL had to be saved by Rogue afterward.

So Do Nightcrawler and Colossus get there own eps and then join the X-men?

Nightcrawler? Most likely. He's in the opening animation and Kyle & Johnson had him in the main cast in Evolution, so they obviously like him and consider him vital. He's a lock.

Colossus? Possible, but not likely. He isn't in the opening animation AT ALL, and most shows try to include everyone in the core cast there at some point, even if only for the "standard team standing around" shot. Kyle & Johnson only used him for guest spots in Evolution, and even there he didn't do a whole lot besides grunt and job in fights worse than Wolverine did (one of the only fights Logan actually won in Evolution was against Colossus). Historically speaking, the only X-Men cartoon where Colossus was part of the central cast was the PRYDE OF THE X-MEN pilot in 1989. TheVileOne believes this show can walk on water, but logically speaking, it is very unlikely that Colossus does more than another guest spot (or, gasp, two, like in Seasons 1 and 2 of the original 90's show), as rational thinkers don't expect history to be bucked when faced with prior evidence of it not being so. Still, after EVOLUTION, I would rather Colossus get a single guest spot with one defining moment before vanishing over what he got in Evolution, which was showing up in about 5 episodes, but barely getting any lines or doing anything noteworthy.

As I have stated before, Colossus' historical animation blacklisting is considerably unfair considering he was created at the same time as Nightcrawler & Storm and debuted the same issue, and both of THEM are usually considered "essential" X-Men for team shows. Frankly most writers likely think of Colossus as a bit bland and outdated (the idea of a "noble, nice Russian" was noteworthy in the 70's during the Cold War, but not as much now) and likely consider Beast in the "muscle" role.

Quite frankly, I think Colossus could be written on a team show as a bit like Superman, only with fewer powers (and not the star character of the team show). Why not? He grew up on a farm with honest family values, he has super-strength and nigh invulnerability, and a desire to do good. A character who can go from naive to tanker can be interesting for a team show. But, so far it has been the road never travelled.

Yeah, I don't know whats coming up in the next handful of episodes (DONT TELL ME), but I feel like this episode would've been better suited for episode 6 or 7 or something. I think the series needed to keep rolling in momentum in MRD issues, rebuilding the mansion, Rogue and the brotherhood, etc., BEFORE they start going to different global locations/alternate timelines/the future/etc.

I don't know...Storm is a major character and member of the central team, so I don't mind getting her episode over with and including her into the cast as soon as possible, especially since she hadn't done much beyond a one-word line so far.

Last edited:
Ratcrawler....I'm guessing you've seen a lot of if not all of the show...was wondering how much of the series Psylocke is in? One episode? Two? More? Feel free to put it in spoilers if you want - also, I kinda just wanna know how much and not to what extent. Like if she isn't an ally or has an altered origin or dies or any of that kind of stuff, I don't want to know about. Thanks!

[BLACKOUT]I've only seen her in 1 although I haven't seen all the episodes. Only about 18.[/BLACKOUT]

The show does walk on water, and I know Dread is understandably upset because it doesn't have one of his favorite, pet characters who is critically underutilized in a lot of X-men animation. But it still rocks.

I think more than anything, the reason Wolverine is in charge is because everyone else had left. And Wolverine was the one who decided to reform the team, not Storm or Cyclops. He was the one that had the drive to do so. Which isn't unrealistic, considering his remarkable consistency with the team, no matter what, he's almost always been there picking up the slack.

I stated before that I had some concerns about how the time travel plot device would be executed, and how Xavier is now powerful enough to communicate through time. All that does need to be addressed, as well as why Xavier feels why Logan must be the leader. But I think the Xavier picked him as such is because at the time Storm was gone and back in Africa. Cyclops was still on the mend after losing Jean. And who else in that case? Angel didn't want to expose himself as a mutant because of daddy. Rogue left as well. Wolverine has the most experience, and he will do what is necessary in order to pull the greater good through. I mean, yes there could be something more specific than that.

But sooner rather than later, I wouldn't mind a scene like, "So Chuck, I mean why do you think I should be the leader anyway?" And Xavier's just like, "Because . . . exposition"

And if it's something that's not meant to be answered right away, or can come later on in another season, so be it. TV shows shouldn't have to tell you everything right off the bat. Keeping some secrets keeps you watching to find out more.

The show does walk on water, and I know Dread is understandably upset because it doesn't have one of his favorite, pet characters who is critically underutilized in a lot of X-men animation. But it still rocks.

I never said the show was bad. It just isn't flawless. Which is fine; nothing is flawless. I still won't rest until the big metal man gets as much respect as some of his peers.

Colossus is visually dramatic and has a lot of recognition among the casual fan. No one but hardcore fans knows who Domino is, or probably cares. I'm a hardcore fan and never really cared for her (yeah, she's hot, but what comic babe isn't). Seen one femme' fatale in comics sometimes, seen them all. Everyone knows who Piotr is.

I noted how this episode provided a strength by taking an episode the original 90's show did, and either on purpose or by happy accident, did a much better job of it. That is how "next generation" superhero shows can stand out among their forefathers. Take the areas where a past show faltered and improve upon it.

I think more than anything, the reason Wolverine is in charge is because everyone else had left. And Wolverine was the one who decided to reform the team, not Storm or Cyclops. He was the one that had the drive to do so. Which isn't unrealistic, considering his remarkable consistency with the team, no matter what, he's almost always been there picking up the slack.

I stated before that I had some concerns about how the time travel plot device would be executed, and how Xavier is now powerful enough to communicate through time. All that does need to be addressed, as well as why Xavier feels why Logan must be the leader. But I think the Xavier picked him as such is because at the time Storm was gone and back in Africa. Cyclops was still on the mend after losing Jean. And who else in that case? Angel didn't want to expose himself as a mutant because of daddy. Rogue left as well. Wolverine has the most experience, and he will do what is necessary in order to pull the greater good through. I mean, yes there could be something more specific than that.

But sooner rather than later, I wouldn't mind a scene like, "So Chuck, I mean why do you think I should be the leader anyway?" And Xavier's just like, "Because . . . exposition"

And if it's something that's not meant to be answered right away, or can come later on in another season, so be it. TV shows shouldn't have to tell you everything right off the bat. Keeping some secrets keeps you watching to find out more.

I just don't want the Future thing to become too much of a convenient and predictable plot point. I'd like to see Logan and the team learn things on their own.

Also, "because no one was left" is not the proper way to pick a political party nominee or a team leader. Hopefully we see more of what tools Logan specifically brings to the table. While of course it is good that he's not written as a perfect leader from the start; that would be boring. The tightrope the show's writers are on are to provide organic situations where Logan's leadership style can come into play, without seeming like they are "catering". Of course, expectations are higher by episode 26 than they are at episode 4.

W&TXM is off to a good start; which is sometimes why some of the flaws can stand out. For example, we had some intense debates about their depiction and direction for Cyclops, and it is a shame that nothing interesting has come of things so far. There are better ways to write his pathos without just having him sulk in a corner and say & do nothing; a character that says and does nothing episode after episode is boring. I am curious if anything was editted for time, often the bane of most episode TV writers (especially those working with 22 minutes per episode instead of drama TV that offers at least 44).

Kitty, Iceman, and Frost are cool, though. Lord knows after Morrison, Frost was long overdue for a good run on a TV show.

I would look at the character list thread to make sure.

We've gotten no indication that Deadpool will be in this season. I think there's an implication that Hulk vs. Wolverine is in the same canon as this show. And Deadpool is in Hulk vs. Wolverine. Maverick was in the trailer. Sabes is in the IMDB cast list.

I definitely want to see the merc with a mouth in this series though :D .

I wasn't aware that HULK VS. was supposed to connect with W&TXM. Granted, it has the same voice actors for Logan and Hulk. Does that mean that Thor is in the same universe?

I mentioned it once before, but I will again. Simply by having Hulk guest, this show is breaking a trend with trying to separate mutants and non-mutant superhumans. Most X-shows just have mutants and robots/cyborgs/tech-users. This show doesn't want to skirt around the issue of mutants existing in a world alongside non-mutant superhumans (who aren't aliens, of course).

I would look at the character list thread to make sure.

We've gotten no indication that Deadpool will be in this season. I think there's an implication that Hulk vs. Wolverine is in the same canon as this show. And Deadpool is in Hulk vs. Wolverine. Maverick was in the trailer. Sabes is in the IMDB cast list.

I definitely want to see the merc with a mouth in this series though :D .

Ive looked it up on wikipedia and they say that deadpool will appear in this series (they dont say which season) but he will be called "Wilson" instead of deadpool

the whole episode felt like it lacked depth and like it had been done before. Which it pretty much had in the 90's series and done better

Ive looked it up on wikipedia and they say that deadpool will appear in this series (they dont say which season) but he will be called "Wilson" instead of deadpool

Like how Deathstroke showed up in TEEN TITANS, but had to use his name Slade instead? It seems a bit silly, especially since the 90's X-Men, which were on the fascist censorship era of Fox Kids, were allowed to have names like Mr. Sinister or Lady Deathstrike in their shows. :whatever:

Kids these days as young as 7 know all of their curse words and usually watch plenty of PG-13 and R rated material, and play video games of that sort of rating, but let's put our heads in the sand and be afraid to say "death" in a cartoon. Pfft. Maybe if adults stopped treating children as brainless lumps of clay, we might win some respect back from them.

Like how Deathstroke showed up in TEEN TITANS, but had to use his name Slade instead? It seems a bit silly, especially since the 90's X-Men, which were on the fascist censorship era of Fox Kids, were allowed to have names like Mr. Sinister or Lady Deathstrike in their shows. :whatever:

Kids these days as young as 7 know all of their curse words and usually watch plenty of PG-13 and R rated material, and play video games of that sort of rating, but let's put our heads in the sand and be afraid to say "death" in a cartoon. Pfft. Maybe if adults stopped treating children as brainless lumps of clay, we might win some respect back from them.

Here's what they say: "Deadpool (renamed Wilson) has been confirmed to be in an upcoming episode of the series Wolverine and the X-Men. Here he's more of a comical swordsman and demolition expert, rather than a violent mercenary. He will resemble his Ultimate look."

mmm, don't know what to think...

I've seen 24 episodes of the 26 aired.... I find weird to see him in the last episodes....

I'll see...

Wikipedia could possibly be wrong; it does happen.

It's also wonderful that people in other countries get to see our cartoons before us Americans because their networks aren't as ******ed as our Yankee ones. :p Go diplomacy!

I'm spanish and Spain hasn't the series yet, hehe.

Thanks internet!

I'm spanish and Spain hasn't the series yet, hehe.

Thanks internet!

Does someone know which episode involves Colossus's return ??

I still haven't seen it. and I've seen 24 episodes, hehe.....

don't know...

Censorship's a funny thing. The US version of Total Drama Island gets dialogue edited and rewritten in every episode because apparently American kids aren't supposed to hear somebody referred to as a "screw-up" or hear the word "boobies" more than 2 times even though the show airs at 9 PM.

On the other hand, I was watching Clone Wars last night and it's ok to show soldiers die by getting sucked into the cold vaccuum of sPace because, I'm guessing, George Freakin' Lucas holds sway over network censors.

Censorship's a funny thing. The US version of Total Drama Island gets dialogue edited and rewritten in every episode because apparently American kids aren't supposed to hear somebody referred to as a "screw-up" or hear the word "boobies" more than 2 times even though the show airs at 9 PM.

On the other hand, I was watching Clone Wars last night and it's ok to show soldiers die by getting sucked into the cold vaccuum of sPace because, I'm guessing, George Freakin' Lucas holds sway over network censors.

That, and words like "screw up" and "boobies" relate to sex and the woman's body. Soldiers getting sucked into a vortex is violence. American censors are far more willing to allow children to see violence than to hear words that relate to sex. :p

like the show so far, but hate the title, Storm's hair looks better in the opening theme and wrapped up, it brings out her African-ness personally I think they should've worked a similar head-dress into her modern outfit if they're going to give her that egg shaped fro or wutever it is

I liked the psy battle between Shadow King and Emma, the ep concept was awesome, I always envisioned an ep like this, but with Psylocke and Jean battling Shadow king, but this works,

I love the fact that they pay attention to the original source material, such as Emma not beign psychic while in diamond form, and Storm, Shadow King and the Prof's intertwined past/mini origin was great, it's always good to know where a character's coming from

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another Storm ep with more on her childhood, I always envisioned an origin ep where Storm met Gambit and the two young theives got into mischeif in Africa, or maybe just one where she me a young BP

and hopefully Storm won't be so damselly next time

BTW love how Forge's included so much, but wished he would've appeared more Native American in terms of appearance, I know his boots are styled to show his NA heritage, but it's not enough, maybe he could've had darker skin, otherwise I love it... love the fact that many of the characters actually have accents (even though Storm's could use some work, I love the effort)

Storm loox like she stepped out of a blaxploitation flick.

no, sorry, hehe.

I suppose he'll apear at the end, the x-men will need some help, so maybe they call him.... don't know...

Colossus? Getting the shaft in an X-Men cartoon? SHOCKING. And here TheVileOne practically guaranteed Piotr would join the main cast. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"