Official Wolverine And The X-men, Episode 5, "Thieves Gambit" Discussion Thread

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
Alright, all episode discussion for episode 5 goes here. Remember to use spoiler tags for the more specific comments. I think from the episode title you can probably guess who appears in this one.

This will be the first of two episodes in the series guest-starring fan-favorite character, Gambit, who will also be appearing in X-men Origins: Wolverine in May.

Its a good episode but kind of meh for me because Ive never liked Gambit too much.

I finally got to watch this one in esPanol (I also caught ep 22 last night) it was pretty cool how he and Logan kept one-upping each other. It was also nice to see anorexic Magma here. I hope that in season 2, they do what Evo and JLU did (Yes, yes, X-Men Evolution is the 9/11 to my Rudy Giullianni) and add a bunch of background mutants living in the institute, like Magma, Dust, Rockslide and Berzerker.

where can I watch this? I only saw up to ep 4... if anyone knows can you PM me a link if it's online please?

I love the fact that Gambit is portrayed like a slimy and opportunistic scumbag who actually doesn't give a damn about the X-Men and cares only for himself. I like him more when he is a bad guy :oldrazz:

Anyway, it was a nice episode. Better than the previous one and it's nice that we are back on track with the MRD storylines.

:wow: I need to see this. Where can i watch it?

:csad: I'm a he. I already found the episode though :woot:

A few screen caps from this episode:

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:
Animated Emma Frost in nightgown brushing hair = Epic w1n.

Anyone know who played gambit? It sounded a lot like Phil LaMarr

This episode was okay - most certainly the weakest of the 4 so far - in my opinion. The episodes with ensembles to me are always more entertaining than the episodes featuring 1-3 characters. The device itself hopefully comes into play later, because if not, this episode would be essentially useless. And I found it odd that Storm joined the team in the last episode...yet there's not a single shot or mention of her?

Loved Magma though.

Oh, and something else really irks me. What's the point of the recap? Sure, sometimes it's helpful and this show is just starting, but in this episode did we really have to see half of what we saw? There was no Rogue or Brotherhood or Magneto or Storm in this entire episode, so why waste time recapping about them? By the time the opening titles were in it, we were already more than 5 minutes into a 22 minute episode!

Decent, though easily the weakest of the five episodes aired so far.

[blackout]The Magma cameo was fine, and I did like the point about Logan not being able to deal wit the outreach aspect of the Xavier Institute.

Gambit was well-done, emphasizing his mercenary early career (which is also what "Evolution" did; this crew seems to favour amoral Gambit as opposed to when he went more straight).

It's an interesting deviation from normal to have the X-Men themselves develop the power-suppression device, but that makes sense.

This is really the first episode since the first episode that really emphasized the "Wolverine and" in the title; I don't know, given that Storm rejoined the group last episode and we don't see her (or Cyclops) at all this week.[/blackout]

It was ok. Didn't like that it was too Wolverine centered. But by the name of the cartoon I shouldn't be surprised. Didn't really like Gambit's facial design. Looked way evil. And this Episode showed once again why Wolverine shouldn't be the leader. "Plan B."

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the last one. But i could be biased :cwink:. First off, Gambit's voice is horrible, really. He sounds jamaican or something. He doesn't sound suave at all. I don't like his hair either. But his personality was spot on. That is exactly how i'd want Gambit to act. He jokes, charms and acts laid back but that doesn't mean you can trust him. They really showed his morally ambigious side. Gambit and Wolverine make such an awesome team too. Their interaction is great.

Him leaving Wolverine at the mercy of that sentinel was cool.

So basicly, yeah his personality was perfect, his voice not so much.

Last edited:
I think that the Gambit of this show is awesome. Like Neptune said, at first he looks like a charming fellow, a great guy to hang out with, but he is actually a selfish snake. I mean, come on, in a single episode he backstabbed both Wolverine and the MRD! :woot:
I find that approach to the character very amusing and interesting.

This was a good little team-up episode. It didn't do much of advancing the main plot, but it did establish more of what's going on in the human side of the human/mutant conflict.

The lady scientist character I first thought was Kavita Rao turned out to be Dr. Zane. Not familiar with this character and if she's a part of comic canon or an original character made for the series.

I really enjoyed Gambit and his interaction with Wolverine in this episode. I don't get why people dislike Gambit so much because I think he can be a really good character. In this series, he's not really taking a side and he's sort of a thief for hire, and I think that role works for Gambit.

We didn't get to see much of the other characters. In fact besides Wolverine, the only other X-man who had a speaking part in this episode I believe was Forge. We did get that nice shot of the X-men preparing for bed, so we see Kitty on her laptop, Emma brushing her hair, and then Beast hanging upside down brushing his fur. That was good stuff.

I think a lot of people dislike Gambit because they think his character is cliche and too "kewl". I admit he can appear to be a cliche character if you don't know enough about him.

This reminded me why I love Gambit so much!
:woot:

I think a lot of people dislike Gambit because they think his character is cliche and too "kewl". I admit he can appear to be a cliche character if you don't know enough about him.

He's no more cliche than any other x-character; most writers just choose to write him as one instead of putting forth any effort.

good, epi.! Gambit is like T.A.S + X-Men Evo, I like the voice and his character after this epi. it makes since why Gambit doesn't really fit well with the x-men, their a lot of epi. where he can team up with them...

So Hermes Conrad is Gambit? Does that mean the next time the professor addresses the team he'll start off with "Good News Everyone" before telling them how bad the future is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"