Official Wolverine And The X-men, Episode 5, "Thieves Gambit" Discussion Thread

OMG, just heard it, that is NOT a Jamaican accent for those who beleive it to be, he sounds like Mohinder from Heroes trying to be Caribbean, IDK why the accent is so hard to do, there are so many who can pull off European, Latin, American and sometimes even Asian accents -ex. Meryl Streep, Hugh Laurie, Christian Bale

but that's all the rant I'll rant about accents as I could go on and on about it

I wanted Gambit and Psylocke as x-men members in this anime
it makes me angry
they're 2 of my x-men favorite

it makes me angry

just go to megavideo and type in the title they always upload it there.

What are you talking about? He hasn't gained any new powers due to popularity Gambit's telepathy resistance has been with him since his first issue and he does not have a healing factor.

Gambit had a healing factor in many comics in the 90's. I recall one issue of his solo series where Bullseye stabs him in the heart and he survives. They probably keyed it to kinetic energy or something.

Telepathy resistance never made much sense. Some characters just have powers to just have them, like Hulk seeing ghosts. It makes no sense to the rest of them and just seems tacked on.

it makes me angry

At least Gambit is having two signature appearances where he has focus. That's more than some other characters get.

Gambit had a healing factor in many comics in the 90's. I recall one issue of his solo series where Bullseye stabs him in the heart and he survives. They probably keyed it to kinetic energy or something.

Which was a one-time deal and related to events in the story instead of Gambit's own powerset. He was nearly killed by the same kind of injury two years later in X-Treme. Only thing that saved him was timely triage by Beast.

Telepathy resistance never made much sense. Some characters just have powers to just have them, like Hulk seeing ghosts. It makes no sense to the rest of them and just seems tacked on.

At least read up on these characters before you start saying all this stuff. Hulk's ability to see astral forms is deeply tied into Banner's psychosis(the thing that caused the Hulk to manifest in the first place) and his issues about his father.

Which was a one-time deal and related to events in the story instead of Gambit's own powerset. He was nearly killed by the same kind of injury two years later in X-Treme. Only thing that saved him was timely triage by Beast.

Yeah, I know Gambit lost it. I was commenting on how sometimes characters who become popular "gain" powers.

Y'know who never gained or improved her powers? Crystal. She controls the elements. Not just one or two, damn near all of them. She easily could rival Storm in terms of sheer power, but never will. Why? Not popular.

I still am waiting for a good explanation as to how kinetic energy blocks telepathy from some writers. Heck, why not tie it into his "charm" ability, which is kind of psychic?

(Note how Gambit can't simply be charming; he has to list it as a "power". That was my point. And it isn't just him. Lord knows Wolverine has his "Fanboy Aura" as we used to call it at Old Wizardworld forums, in the comics sometimes).

At least read up on these characters before you start saying all this stuff. Hulk's ability to see astral forms is deeply tied into Banner's psychosis(the thing that caused the Hulk to manifest in the first place) and his issues about his father.

I know that. I just felt that when you sort of imagine that power next to all the rest, it doesn't really fit.

By that logic, can all psychotic characters see ghosts? No. Least they could connect it to gamma radiation or something. :p

Yeah, I know Gambit lost it. I was commenting on how sometimes characters who become popular "gain" powers. Y'know who never gained or improved her powers? Crystal. She controls the elements. Not just one or two, damn near all of them. She easily could rival Storm in terms of sheer power, but never will. Why? Not popular.

Power does not a good character make. Just look at the Sentry.

I still am waiting for a good explanation as to how kinetic energy blocks telepathy from some writers. Heck, why not tie it into his "charm" ability, which is kind of psychic?

Honestly, there are like seven different possible explanations for it. One says Gambit's body stores kinetic energy and that causes "psychic static", one says it's him charging people's brains, another theory is it's just his secretive nature, and yet another says he has latent telepathy of his own.

(Note how Gambit can't simply be charming; he has to list it as a "power". That was my point. And it isn't just him. Lord knows Wolverine has his "Fanboy Aura" as we used to call it at Old Wizardworld forums, in the comics sometimes).

This is in the same grey area as the telepathy resistance. Some sources have said he has a hypnotic ability, others say it's telepathy, and yet more say he's just a charismatic individual.

I know that. I just felt that when you sort of imagine that power next to all the rest, it doesn't really fit.

Thats been a staple of Marvel superheroes from the very beginning. What does force fields have to do with invisibility? Why does turning into fire let you fly? Since when are spiders precognitive?

It was an ok episode probably my least favorite so far. It focused to much on Gambit and Wolverine.

It was an ok episode probably my least favorite so far. It focused to much on Gambit and Wolverine.

Not to sound rude but what were you expecting with a show called Wolverine and the X-Men, and the episode called "Thieves Gambit"?

does psylocke appear this season at all, I always wanted to see her portrayed post Ninja, when she was a British model (correct me if this synops is wrong)

and does Sabretootha appear, I expected him to show up sooner, given the title

Power does not a good character make. Just look at the Sentry.

Let's not. ;)

Yes, I get the point. But my point was to not "add" powers to characters as soon as they become popular, especially ones that seem bizarre compared to the other power set. It happens too often in comics.

Honestly, there are like seven different possible explanations for it. One says Gambit's body stores kinetic energy and that causes "psychic static", one says it's him charging people's brains, another theory is it's just his secretive nature, and yet another says he has latent telepathy of his own.

Hence why clashing writers, retcons, and lax editorial oversight can stink sometimes.

This is in the same grey area as the telepathy resistance. Some sources have said he has a hypnotic ability, others say it's telepathy, and yet more say he's just a charismatic individual.

Exactly. Most official Handbooks just call it a minor psychic ability. ;)

Thats been a staple of Marvel superheroes from the very beginning. What does force fields have to do with invisibility? Why does turning into fire let you fly? Since when are spiders precognitive?

Heat rises. In fuzzy silver age science, that makes some sense. Spiders can "sense" movements along their webs and have multiple eyes. The force-fields...yeah, that's a stretch. Basically invisibility was too simple a power.

Just the Hulk = Ghost Vision always seemed a stretch to me.

To get back on target, some people wondered if Ms. Zane is actually Mystique and that would be interesting; recall that the show's writers also wrote Evolution and by Season 2 in that show, they arranged it for Mystique to be immune to telepathy or technology (or Logan's nose), thus making her shape-shifting more dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if W&TXM started off with this ability and thus why the Spider Slayer couldn't detect anything in Zane.

Or, of course, Zane could be a new character.

I still liked Evolution Gambit more, but this version had more in line with the comics and I do like his status. I think that as disappointing as it may be for some that he isn't an X-Man, at least this show is allowing a character who is 18 years old to get 1-2 episodes where he gets major focus, and treated that as essential. Some characters have been around for over 30 and can't get that. :p

I love this show, i hope they do 10 seasons. Whats episode 6 about? Just a little tease?

I suppose charm might tie into telepathic resistance as some unrelated secondary mutation. A bit like how Nightcrawler has a prehensile tail and teleportation.

Isn't heightened agility one of Gambit's powers? It should be if he can't survive his own explosions. Gotta get away from those things somehow!

Not to sound rude but what were you expecting with a show called Wolverine and the X-Men, and the episode called "Thieves Gambit"?

For them to follow the formula they have since episode one. Besides little cameos in the x-mansion Wolverine was the only x-men featured. In the last episode that featured Storm they still gave enough screen time to Emma and Scott instead of just Wolverine and Storm. Even if it featured Rogue trying to get the gadget for the Brotherhood it wouldve been better hten just having Wolverine and Gambit.

For them to follow the formula they have since episode one. Besides little cameos in the x-mansion Wolverine was the only x-men featured. In the last episode that featured Storm they still gave enough screen time to Emma and Scott instead of just Wolverine and Storm. Even if it featured Rogue trying to get the gadget for the Brotherhood it wouldve been better hten just having Wolverine and Gambit.

It was fine. The episode was written to show off the dynamic between those two characters. Throwing a bunch of other characters into the mix would only water it down.

Just saw the episode last night.

Gambit really does sound Jamaican lol.

youtube

thats how i saw all 5

I suppose charm might tie into telepathic resistance as some unrelated secondary mutation. A bit like how Nightcrawler has a prehensile tail and teleportation.

Isn't heightened agility one of Gambit's powers? It should be if he can't survive his own explosions. Gotta get away from those things somehow!

I do believe most resources cite enhanced agility as one of his powers.

wow. yeah i watched it on youtube. i thought for sure that would be the least likely place for me to be able to watch it.

anyways yeah i totally thought he sounded Jamaican. and did anyone else notice how ugly gambit looked? he is supposed to be hott! and most definitely was not.

i wish magma was an xman.

I wish Colossus, Gambit, Bishop and Jubilee were X-Men.

Add Psyclocke to my list too!

Last edited:
I wish Gambit was a cunning bad guy who could get away with robbing the X-men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"