Official Wolverine And The X-men, Episode 5, "Thieves Gambit" Discussion Thread

Wow, Omega Red would be awesome.

Completely off-topic...but your avy reminded me....and yeah I should probably just look on wikipedia...but you seem to be a big Freddie fan, so you'd know. Wasn't Freddie a pedophile before being a nightmarish creature-thing-guy-person-whatever? In which case...are people fans of pedophilia? Cause that's really creepy. I don't really watch horror movies.

Oh and yeah Omega Red would be cool.

I wish Gambit was a cunning bad guy who could get away with robbing the X-men.

Eh. It's a cartoon directed towards kids. In the end, Gambit would never have any real success. This episode is evidence of that, and according to some folks...
He doesn't come away with his target in his second appearance, either.

So being a part of the team would be the only way for the character to ever be allowed to flesh himself out.

I read that Psylocke appears in a future episode, but wasnt that her along with the Guild this episode? If not, who was the purple haired chick

That was definitely not Psylocke. Just some purple haired chick.

I really believed that purple-haired woman was Psylocke. Who was she then? And who were the other Guild members?

Psylocke will appear in a future episode, but she was not in the Thieves Guild.

something I did enjoy about this episode is how vague they like to keep the past of the X-Men. They obviously made it vague enough that Logan could have been meeting Remy for the first time, or he could have known him pretty well. Wolverine never seemed surprised by what Gambit could do, and Gambit seemed to expect Wolvie's tenacity.

I really liked being able to fill in the blanks on my own.

I also do like that they don't come in the show and try to . . . origin-ize everything kind of like Justice League. I mean I liked Justice League, but even from the 3 part pilot of that show something felt missing. For one thing, the original leaguers didn't feel like complete characters. The other X-men shows started with stories that involved people joining the team. Here the story starts where Wolverine has to basically try and salvage and rebuild the team after it's been torn down to its very foundations. The story starts and the X-men and Xavier's institute are established and what sets everything off is the explosion. So a good part of the rest of the season is putting those pieces together.

It also feels like they aren't trying to rush everything right off the bat, they are building towards a second and third act.

I hope we can have some Romyness (Rogue+Gambit) in the next season.

this episode was alright but i had to follow it in spanish, so i didn't get to enjoy it that much. but i hope it gets better with the fallowing episodes in the near future.

didnt read the entire thread but was that purple-haired female member of the thieves guild supposed to be Psylocke? I know Betsy appears in a later episode but just not sure about this one..

btw I hate the fact that they keep using supposed heroic characters as villains, from Psylocke to Quicksilver...ugh

Quicksilver's always been an arrogant ass so I don't mind that take on him at all. In fact, I prefer him as such. What bothers me about Psylocke isn't that she was coerced into repaying a favor to the Brotherhood (hardly villainy) but her portrayal as a rank amateur that got supermanned by Emma.

Turning Multiple Man and Mercury into brainless henchman of sorts saddened me. Though that could have just been a rogue dupe and Mercury making the most of herself on Genosha.

From Comics Continuum
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gambit make his first appearance in Wolverine and the X-Men in "Thieves' Gambit," Friday's episode on Nicktoons.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I really like the character of Gambit," said Greg Johnson, the series' head writer and co-developer. "On the one hand, he's this smooth, romantic rake who uses his silver tongue and good looks to get himself out of jams just as easily as he would use his powers. On the other hand, he's a thief willing to sell out mutant-kind for a decent payday, and has no guilt whatsoever about it.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"But down very deep, he's a decent guy. The easy way to portray him would have been as a wise-cracking reluctant hero, someone who's already made the journey from cad to good guy. But these types of heroes only really resonate if we see where they come from. Han Solo was a smuggler for a mob boss, cheating people left and right to make ends meet. Sawyer on Lost was an opportunist, not above hoarding the life-saving essentials so he could force people to do what he wants. It becomes a pleasure to cheer these kinds of characters on when they finally begin making unselfish, noble decisions.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"So the Gambit our viewers will meet in 'Thieves's Gambit' is the mercenary 'mutant for hire.' He's a thief who's in it for the challenge as much as the money. And this is the beginning of his journey."
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here's how the network describes the episode:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"When Forge's new creation -- a collar designed to inhibit mutant powers -- is stolen by master thief-for-hire Gambit, Wolverine must track him down and recover it. But when he finds Gambit, he discovers that the collar has already been sold ... to a buyer working for Sen. Kelly. Now Wolverine and Gambit must team up to steal back the collar before it can be reverse engineered and used against mutants everywhere."
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gambit's voice is provided by Phil LaMarr, whose many credits include Green Lantern in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited and Static in Static Shock. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Thieves' Gambit" was written by Bob Forward and directed by Steve Gordon.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I'm getting realy tired of hearing that comparison.
Hoping that he'll get more developed through out season two. Seeing as the story revolves around AOA, maybe Gambit will get more screen time.

Well, I didin't saw anything decent in Gambit's personality in "Thieves Gambit", but if the head writer says so...

Yeah, this episode is still regarded by many as the weakest of the first season so far, and a rare misfire performance by Phil LaMarr.

Yeah, this episode is still regarded by many as the weakest of the first season so far, and a rare misfire performance by Phil LaMarr.

Not by me. The Gambit/Wolverine interaction was fantastic. Gambit's portrayal great. The voice not so much though.

So Greg Johnson likes Gambit. I hope that means he'll have a bigger role in season 2. I would like to see him join the X-men.

I meant that in the episode he seemed like a scumbag, not like someone who has hidden decency.

Gambit is a scumbag. At least before he meets Storm and joins the X-men. Since he hasn't joined the X-men yet, he should still be a shady, 2 faced thief. I actually enjoyed that although i hope he eventually joins the X-men. Greg Johnson says it's the beginning of his journey so he'll probably turn good in season 2.

No way to tell, but from what I've seen from him in this cartoon (only this episode), he seems too untrustworthy and backstabbing. Though that may well change, especially since Greg Johnson says so.

did anyone else notice how ugly gambit looked? he is supposed to be hott! and most definitely was not.
It depends on what your definition of "hott" is.
I still don't like Gambit's voice.
Phil LaMarr like most (if not all) voice actors tends to reuse a certain voice for several different characters. The most noticeable is his GL/John Stewart voice which is identical to that of the judge in Family Guy. Unfortunately for the voice of Gambit LaMarr used a bit of Hermes mixed in with some of Steel (from JLU).

Yeah, he sounded like he was trying to be jamaican. It just didn't fit. I hope they get a different voice actor for season 2 or Lamarr just needs to do a different voice.

About Gambit not being hot. Gambit actually was never supposed to be hot. Granted nowadays he's become sex on legs but originally he was supposed to be an average looking guy who uses his silver tongue and charm to manipulate people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"