Official Wolverine And The X-men, Episode 9, "Future X", Discussion Thread

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
All discussion for episode 9, Future X, will remain here. Remember to use spoiler tags for the more revealing bits.

This episode has not only aired, but been online for quite some time, so I will disregard spoiler tags. Read at your own discretion.

The 90's animated TV show made great use of cameos, but it's absolutely wonderful and a bit of a surprise to see more contemporary characters utilized in Wolverine and the X-Men - ESPECIALLY since it's centered around one specific character. In this episode alone, we had Sarah (Marrow), Julian (Hellion), and some other characters whose names currently slip me, along with a great supporting role in Bishop. I never liked seeing Bishop in the 90's show, and was glad he stayed out of EVO, but he worked beautifully in this episode - utilizing his character, past, and story, without being convoluted or chaotic like in TAS.

The idea of Wolverine communicating in the present to an Xavier in the future was at first I thought a tool to keep the story moving. Xavier tells Wolverine he needs to save storm, they save Storm. Xavier tells Wolverine to get Nitro to the MRD, they get Nitro to the MRD, etc. But in this episode alone, we solidified Xavier's importance as not a mediator, but a valuable character living in the desolate and desperate future.

It was great to see some X-Men team action at the beginning of this episode, although the story line in the present takes the back burner when they discover no one's at the base.

The first reference to Domino's luck happened in this episode - though it wasn't explained at all, nor was it actually used.

Once again, I absolutely loved seeing Marrow and Hellion, and although placing them in this future timeline as youths doesn't really allow for us to see them again in the present, it was still nice to showcase mutants that hadn't appeared in an X-show before (and don't even get me started on Spyke from EVO).

I'm pretty elated that Craig Kyle is such an important figure in the writing and development of this show, because that allows for more New X-Men cameos! SO far within the first 9 episodes, we've had Rockslide, Dust, Pixie, and Hellion, and the purple guy from this episode. We've also had Magma and Wolfsbane from New Mutants featured. Bring on Dani, Cannonball, Jay, Karma, Wither, Surge, Wind Dancer, Wallflower, Mercury, Anole, X-23, and Elixir!

X-23 has been confirmed as appearing in an episode, correct?

I'm pretty sure she has.

Purple guy and Bishop kicked ass. I loved Forge at the beginning parts. I should have my review later on my youtube channel that is linked in my sig.

These episodes keep getting better and better. I loved seeing Hellion. Who was that guy that could turn his body into the matter he touched? He was awesome!

AMAZING EPISODE!!!!!!!

I'm pretty elated that Craig Kyle is such an important figure in the writing and development of this show, because that allows for more New X-Men cameos! SO far within the first 9 episodes, we've had Rockslide, Dust, Pixie, and Hellion, and the purple guy from this episode. We've also had Magma and Wolfsbane from New Mutants featured. Bring on Dani, Cannonball, Jay, Karma, Wither, Surge, Wind Dancer, Wallflower, Mercury, Anole, X-23, and Elixir!

X-23 has been confirmed as appearing in an episode, correct?

I don't remember seeing pikie, dust, rockslide or wolfsbane in this series so far, what episodes are they in?

I think Cannonball was in this episode, wasn't he the guy who brought them guns?

It actually was a pretty good episode. I knew beforehand that it will be mainly about the future and Xavier, and to be honest, I had my doubts about it, but it came along very nicely, which was by itself a nice surprise.

I agree wholeheartedly; especially on bringing in Wither, Surge, Mercury and Anole! I can easily see Wither being another Nitro-type character.

AMAZING EPISODE!!!!!!!

I don't remember seeing pikie, dust, rockslide or wolfsbane in this series so far, what episodes are they in?

I think Cannonball was in this episode, wasn't he the guy who brought them guns?

the guy with the guns was Gentle from New X-Men (I wish he would have used his powers)
Dust was inthe first episode (she clogged a jet)
Pixie was in the NC episode on the boat, so was Rockslide
and I think Wolfsbane was just show in one of the MRD cells

also, it's driving me crazy that I can't remember who "purple guy" is

Last edited:
Wow, awesome episode. Bishop is pretty tough huh. I did not remember him much as I did not really read the comics...and dont recall him being in the 90's animated series...although it has been many years since I watched that. He is clearly very powerful...
Very good episode tho, IMO. CAn't wait for e10!

btw, who was the guy who changed his skin to dark, and then smashed things?

Dust was inthe first episode (she clogged a jet)
Pixie was in the NC episode on the boat, so was Rockslide

also, it's driving me crazy that I can't remember who "purple guy" is

Actually, Rockslide showed up in the first episode in the MRD along with Dust.

And I'm bound and determined to figure out who the purple guy is!

I'd say along with episodes 2&3, 8&9 were definitely my favorite.

Best episode...The only episode that can be considered "great"...So far that is...!

Hm, I assumed the "purple guy" who seemed to be absorbing elements around him was Mondo. But I suppose not if it's confirmed.

I'm actually really taken with this show. I was skeptical at first but it actually does a superb job of capturing what the x-men are about with a completely new approach for a cartoon.

This episode although quite a cliche...Gave a reason for why Prof. X is even on the show...It was good insight on the struggles of the future. Also like how they gave Chuck mechanical legs...This gives him the ability to actually do something with him as a character

Great episode. The action, and the siege of the mutant concentration camp was some truly inspired stuff with some nice direction that was like some of the better stuff from X-men Evolution. This episode did a very good job of introducing and establishing new characters, many of which were the New X-men :D . The forming of the ragtag future X-men at the end was very cool.

Now a while ago, I presented some of the concerns with the future/time travel plots. This episode didn't quite cover them. I still want to know how Cerebro is now powerful enough to communicate with Wolverine and the past. And why Xavier feels Wolverine needs to be the leader. Now the X-men have apparently already prevented some catastrophic events from happening, but the future still seems to be the same.

Master Mold at the end seemed a bit more like Danger than the classic Master Mold. Perhaps they've incorporated elements of Danger into Master Mold?

While I do believe it to be silly and contrived that Wolverine is leading the team (and is of course only for marketing and bankability issues), this episode helped us understand why he's leading them.

Yes, right now he's pretty clueless and simply instinctual, but in this future that they've painted, Bishop and the rest of the mutants had instant faith in Prof because Wolverine trusted him - alluding to the fact that in this dark future, Wolverine is the sort of rogue leader of the mutant rebellion.

So that I think helps motivate his need to be at the center in the present a little more clearly.

Really itching for some Mystique/Polaris/Wanda right now.

Really wasn’t expecting a Professor X centered episode to be anything special, but it surprisingly was. Loved all the appearances, especially Bishop. I enjoyed this version of him more than the TAS one.

The only two things that are bugging me are, how Prof. could use Cerebro to communicate in the past and why Wolverine. The Professor told Wolvie to lead the X-men BEFORE he discovered the future X-men. So again, the question why Logan?

the guy with the guns was Gentle from New X-Men (I wish he would have used his powers)

Guy from the guns in this episode? That wasnt Gentle that was Vanisher

This episode was very cameo heavy but awesome. I wish Marrow made better use of her powers though. Hellion and Bishop were cool. Berserker and Vanisher were cool too.

Who was the small guy with the large head?

Yeah this episode was really great. Bishop was a BEAST! He whooped up on anything that was against him -- No competition. The action and the way it was "shot" aka "animated" was really really good.

About the purple guy, I could have sworn it was Mondo from GenX the whole time. I don't know if I see it being anyone else...

Riv

Yeah this episode was really great. Bishop was a BEAST! He whooped up on anything that was against him -- No competition. The action and the way it was "shot" aka "animated" was really really good.

About the purple guy, I could have sworn it was Mondo from GenX the whole time. I don't know if I see it being anyone else...

Riv

Purple dude apparently = "Kamal", and is a villain!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamal_(comics)

(found it in a discussion on IMDB boards for the show)

They referred to him as Kamal (i think it was Domino)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"