General Election 2020: Biden vs Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trump's 'plan' is to have all absentee/mail ballots declared invalid by SCOTUS and have only election day votes count (like on the electronic voting machines). But the rightwingers on SCOTUS have generally deferred to the states on the administration of elections in the past.

Trump thinks he has no other path to victory and is talking like a man who won't leave office under the guise of jamming up the legal system and kicking the can down the road like he has on his taxes for years. He may also try to prevent Biden from having >=270 electors by December when they're supposed to meet by gumming up the legal system.

Last edited:
Trump's 'plan' is to have all absentee/mail ballots declared invalid by SCOTUS and have only election day votes count (like on the electronic voting machines). But the rightwingers on SCOTUS have generally deferred to the states on the administration of elections in the past.

Trump thinks he has no other path to victory and is talking like a man who won't leave office under the guise of jamming up the legal system and kicking the can down the road like he has on his taxes for years. He may also try to prevent Biden from having >=270 electors by December when they're supposed to meet by gumming up the legal system.

If he's thinking he can gum up the works and appeal the results repeatedly and stall for the next four years he's mistaken. The election is a much much bigger matter than his tax records. SCOTUS or Congress will rule on the matter by January 20, 2021.

The only way out of this is if the military doesn't back Trump if he loses. Most coups involve them. As far as I know the military gates him so maybe they will haul him out kicking and screaming.

If Trump loses NC and/or Florida, which we should know about pretty early, it should be pretty much over. Plus, I don't think this works in many, if any, states that Biden is going to win anyway.
Is there something unique happening in Florida this cycle? Because when has that salty dystopia ever turned in an election result in a concise and reasonable manner?
If Trump tries to take the election results to a 6-3 conservative Supreme Court if he lost decisively to Biden -- they would deny him.

I hope.
I hope, HOPE that Roberts and Gorsuch would stand firm against any Trump shenanigans on this. But at this point, I'm not putting faith and anyone. The only way to avoid this is a landslide Biden victory.

tenor.gif

I have so much going on in my personal life right now, I'm already a nervous wreck 90% of the time. The literal last thing I need is the impending doom of our democracy swinging slowly downward like a freaking Poe-style pendulum. And yet here we are. It's going to be a LONG 50 days.

Get your pitchforks ready people. You throw out the people's voice, you take on the people. The real resistance better be prepared.

Yeah, anyone that thinks a simple Biden win will end this nightmare are being naive. Biden has to win decisively and even then there is no guarantee Trump is leaving peacefully. Things are going to get really bad in a couple months no matter the outcome. We are literally screwed.

Is there something unique happening in Florida this cycle? Because when has that salty dystopia ever turned in an election result in a concise and reasonable manner?

Understand that I used to be a statistician and taught probability and statistics. Now I'm an engineer, so my mind works in a very specific way. Namely, I look at numbers and trends; amongst other things. NC (15) and FL (29) combine for 44 electoral votes. PA (20), WI (10), and MI (16), combine for 46. Either combination of the 2 would put Biden over the 270 mark if he holds the states Clinton won (which strikes me as strongly, powerfully likely). So, therefore, since FL and NC are likely to be early calls and seem, at this time to slightly favor Biden, we may very well get an early preview of the outcome of the election.

Funny story about Kurt Vonnegut. His brother Bernard was an physicist/atmospheric scientist who figured out how to seed clouds to increase rainfall. Kurt visited his lab and noticed that it was a mess. He asked him how he could work in such a cluttered environment. His brother's response was "You think this is a mess, you ought to see what it looks like up here" (points to head). The work done in his brother's lab was the inspiration for Kurt's novel "Cats Cradle".

Nobody should have to live in my head either, so, in spite of everything, count yourself lucky.

EDIT: I just realized I didn't actually answer your question. Looks like a lot of early voting will be counted and we may know by the end of the night. Even if not, NC will offer clues.

Sorry...

We’re at a 10 alarm fire and DEFCON 1 stage now so all these election stories seem petty in light of Trump threatening a Trump dictatorship for the rest of his life but I’ll keep posting them for what little it matters.

You voted to convict him. Stop doing favors for him with court appointments or else face accusations you’re also a nut case.

We’re at a 10 alarm fire and DEFCON 1 stage now so all these election stories seem petty in light of Trump threatening a Trump dictatorship for the rest of his life but I’ll keep posting them for what little it matters.

You voted to convict him. Stop doing favors for him with court appointments or else face accusations you’re also a nut case.

I rather thought Romney would opt for a court takeover rather than a sense of basic fairness. What he says now has no weight.

I'm not going to lie. I would love to see Trump dragged out of the white house kicking and screaming. It is a unlikely but with the way things have been going in 2020.....never say never!

Yeah, anyone that thinks a simple Biden win will end this nightmare are being naive. Biden has to win decisively and even then there is no guarantee Trump is leaving peacefully. Things are going to get really bad in a couple months no matter the outcome. We are literally screwed.

Let me add to the nightmare. If we manage to get Trump out of power this time we'll have to do this dance with him again in 2024 if he's not become a drooling invalid or died of poor health. We also have to worry about keeping his allies, cronies, and sons and daughter out of political office. His sons and daughter are young enough that we could be dealing with them for another 50 years.

This nightmare won't end in 2021 regardless of how thoroughly Biden beats Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"