Gotham Knights

Something looks off about the combat to me. The lack of free flow bothers me.

The big thing is that there are bits where the player stops the offense, and backs off, breaking the flow of combat. I'm not sure if that is how combos work or if it is the just the developers doing it in order to show off more of the game. Ideally, it is the second one. Because if not, that is not the ideal way you want combat to flow in game.

My big concern is the controls. 2 button attack is okay. That is what Bayo uses. But having it be one attack for close range and then one for long range, with separating light and heavy attacks by holding down the button is... concerning for me. Its been a long time since I played Arkham City, but I remember the control scheme being good, and the one proposed for this game looks like it will not be comfortable.

My big concern is the controls. 2 button attack is okay. That is what Bayo uses. But having it be one attack for close range and then one for long range, with separating light and heavy attacks by holding down the button is... concerning for me. Its been a long time since I played Arkham City, but I remember the control scheme being good, and the one proposed for this game looks like it will not be comfortable.

Sounds a little similar to the Avengers game combat control scheme. As flawed as that game was, the combat could still be pretty fun, so it's not necessarily a bad thing... But really it'll just come down to the finesse I guess. If it's fun, it's fun. And it's kinda unforgivable if it isn't.

The big thing is that there are bits where the player stops the offense, and backs off, breaking the flow of combat. I'm not sure if that is how combos work or if it is the just the developers doing it in order to show off more of the game. Ideally, it is the second one. Because if not, that is not the ideal way you want combat to flow in game.

That's pretty awkward because those gameplay demos are supposed to show you the best the game can offer and sometimes demos can even be misleading in terms of what a game is able to do.

To present inferior gameplay in an official demo would be befuddling.

I will say, as awkward as the combat seems in isolation, it does seem to transition pretty smoothly out of free roaming. My suspicion is the game will have less of the depth of combat as the Arkham games, so that it can accomodate for the bigger map and the free roam with friends aspect. I think overall, the impact will be making it less immersive than the previous batgames (which is a shame) but I suppose if the trade off is that it's fun overall with friends and the co-op aspect to combat works well, I can try and look at it as it's own beast.

That said, I think I'm still far more interested in Suicide Squad's co-op since I trust Rocksteady to balance the multiplayer mode with the gameplay depth they're known for.

Same.

This game is so weird to me. One trailer turns me off, the next gets me hyped as hell. This one got me super hyped again.
Exact same for me. There is a big difference in quality in what they are putting out. This was definitely good though.

This one is decent:

gotham-knights-harley-quinn.jpg

This one not so much:

gothamknights-blogroll-1661283093657.jpg

I'd prefer she retain her harlequin persona at all times as part of her psychosis.

Same.

This game is so weird to me. One trailer turns me off, the next gets me hyped as hell. This one got me super hyped again.

Well, this one focused more on the story aspects and cutscenes than the gameplay. Which, in of itself, may be a warning sign that the story trailers are more appealing than the gameplay one...

This one is decent:

gotham-knights-harley-quinn.jpg

This one not so much:

gothamknights-blogroll-1661283093657.jpg

I'd prefer she retain her harlequin persona at all times as part of her psychosis.

Ehh, I like it. The parts of her out of her main villain costume I think helps establish her as a main bad guy, her own villain. It also seems to help reinforce the Dr Harleen Quinzell part of who she is. Her suit isn't that bad, but I liked presentation business suit.

EDIT: I don't necessarily think that first image is Harley. A different suit than the one she seems to have.

I’m still not convinced…. Something feels off about this. I guess time will tell.

Oh I’m not expecting a great game but I do think it will be fun.

Not a fan of the Harley design. On the fence about her voice, but there's something about her costume that feels very BDSM, but not even in a creative or thoughtful way. It feels almost like pandering haha

Graphics and gameplay look much better in this video imo.

Last edited:
Also like that Harleys make up is messy and clearly inspired by Ledgers Joker.

Well, first of all, not letting well known shill IGN even play the game, instead having them watch it being played is a red flag.

The ideas they are presenting for the crime in the city stuff has potential. The idea of "villain nights" is neat, having rather major "side quests" rather than having all the villains being pawns of the Court of Owls. Just another night in Gotham, really. We will see how it plays out, but I do like how they seem to want to add in the detective elements of finding out about upcoming crimes.

I may have twitched in Monster Hunter when they mentioned gang affiliations being part of where you grind certain materials for crafting.

They mentioned an endgame, so post game content. I imagine it will be like Monster Hunter with new villain nights coming out. Also, you totally unlock Bruce for the post game.

Very, very, very alarming red flag that IGN weren't even able to play the game themselves so close to release.

And also very annoying that, as a marketing tactic, its working. That preview vid got me quite keen for the game, and the only thing that would've gotten in the way would've been hearing it doesn't handle well. So feeling quite mixed. I want to be keen for this game but feel quite aware that we're all being "managed" by good PR.

Very, very, very alarming red flag that IGN weren't even able to play the game themselves so close to release.

And also very annoying that, as a marketing tactic, its working. That preview vid got me quite keen for the game, and the only thing that would've gotten in the way would've been hearing it doesn't handle well. So feeling quite mixed. I want to be keen for this game but feel quite aware that we're all being "managed" by good PR.

That's the thing, the stuff they are promising, sounds very appealing. Its a GAAS, no doubt about it. But it seems to be more Monster Hunter than Avengers. An "Endgame" or "Postgame" where you are grinding for the endgame villain nights is interesting. Hell, the Villain Nights system alone feels designed to pump in new scenarios post game. The detective system and planned crimes sounds amazing compared to Spider-man's random crimes.

Its a question of how much they can deliver on what they are promising.

It could be interesting but impossible to know in practice. Because TBH, if you explained the Avengers end game same terms, they're basically indistinguishable. I remember them marketing it all in similar ways.

The reality of any end game is, it's irrelevant unless the core experience is fun. And unfortunately that's still an unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"