Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: General Discussion & Speculation Thread

64wnrvhscd281.jpg

I’m watching the excellent Silver Surfer TAS and it’s making me sad what they did with Drax in the MCU. Such a badass character, played by a badass actor, but reduced to comic relief by Gunn.

I’m watching the excellent Silver Surfer TAS and it’s making me sad what they did with Drax in the MCU. Such a badass character, played by a badass actor, but reduced to comic relief by Gunn.
Drax started out as a badass in the first Guardians, but Gunn went way overboard with making him a comic relief character in Vol. 2. I can understand that hanging around Quill for a while could naturally lead to some of that personality rubbing off on him but not to THAT extent. At least he was dialed back a bit for Infinity War apart from the "invisibility" moment.

I guiltily admit that I did laugh at a lot of what Drax did in Vol. 2 when I first saw it but that's because I couldn't help it since Dave Bautista has one of the most infectious laughs ever.

He genuinely is funny as Drax, but that doesn’t mean they needed to turn him into a fully comedic character. It’s disappointing when you see the potential the character has beyond not understanding sarcasm.

I’m really hoping Gunn doesn’t touch Silver Surfer. He would ruin the character and turn him into a joke. We need someone to take him seriously. This is the greatest cosmic superhero ever.

That character has been rumored to be in this movie for years now so the casting makes sense.

I am sorry for my low comic knowledge but in the MCU it felt like the High Evolutionary was a main threat for Captain Marvel, so it feels like Thor has to deal with Hydra. Is the High Evolutionary in the comics related to the Guardians as well?

Not the Guardians specifically, but he's been involved in a lot of cosmic stories in the comics, like Annihilation: Conquest.

Plus, potential spoilers for the movie

The rumor that's been going on for awhile is that he's going to be revealed to be the creator of Rocket

I'm good with that. 3 "solo" GotG movies, 3 team ups with other MCU characters and getting to send off the characters on their own teams. Sounds like a good run.

He's said that before right? That the 3rd movie would be the last? Or maybe I'm not remembering it

I can't remember exact quotes, but yes I believe he has been saying that

My thinking is Drax is a goner and probably Peter as well with Adam Warlock coming on as a replacement. I can see Gamora and Nebula leaving the team, and Rocket and Groot moving on as well and alive for possible future use. Though the lineup is dependent on whoever Feige and company bring in to direct the franchise, I could see the following as a future Guardians team,

Mantis
Adam Warlock
Moondragon
Monica Rambeau
Starfox
Pip

I think they're all gone.

Most importantly: story wise most of them have been wrapped up even before Vol. 3. I feel like the only loose end is finding Gamora. And that affects Quill and Nebula the most. I think the MCU has been pretty good with sending characters of at the logical end of their story.

Also, save for Pom/Mantis they've all been playing the role for almost 10 years so I can see them wanting to do something else.I can also see the studio just not wanting to give the stars another pay bump to appear in a 4th movie. But that last one is a miniscule reason I think.

I think Drax and Nebula will die. Quill and Gamora (i'm 50/50 whether Gamora lives) ride off into the sunset "retiring." Rocket, Groot, and I guess Mantis will be alive but just off doing their own thing.

I can see them just retiring the whole Guardians franchise for a minute instead of making a new Guardians team. Cosmic Marvel will still continue but maybe in a Nova franchise starring Sam Alexander.

I see the Guardians more or less becoming the Infinity Watch in the future. I don't think all the characters will be gone. We may see Gamora or Nebula or whoever pop up from time to time, but def the team disbands

I hope those two stay alive and we‘ll get a Rockt & Groot movie/series at some time. If Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel don’t want any more, they could replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"