Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope Cavil comes back but if he doesn't then I'll be prepared to move on. I wanted the WB to keep Routh on board but I had to move on from him as well. What is sad though IMO is that the WB might actually waste now two good Supermen.
I'll start losing sleep if the actor they've got has exhibited the sort of range and talent this role normally doesn't really show off. Everyone post-Reeve has been typically one-note.

I'll start losing sleep if the actor they've got has exhibited the sort of range and talent this role normally doesn't really show off. Everyone post-Reeve has been typically one-note.

IMO Cavil is better than Reeve but that doesn't mean that I didn't like Reeve's Superman I just preferred Cavil's. But then again I liked what I saw from Routh as well and thought he did a good job continuing from where Superman II left off. To me I just look at Superman like James bond though.

To be fair, it was less that and more the attitude that the solution here was very simple and WB should just shut up and give Henry whatever he wants that people were criticizing.

I wasn't suggesting that they should just pay up, but I'm too ill today to have a counter-point debate.

For ease of debate, what will happen, either way, will happen when it happens.

IMO Cavil is better than Reeve but that doesn't mean that I didn't like Reeve's Superman I just preferred Cavil's. But then again I liked what I saw from Routh as well and thought he did a good job continuing from where Superman II left off. To me I just look at Superman like James bond though.
I'd prefer if Superman started to resemble Bond in how the actors were so unique from one another. I haven't necessarily disliked anyone's Superman performance, but they all blend in too well. That goes the same for the animated iterations too.

I think it's what has contributed to his stale image. These actors aren't breaking out from the generic mold of "upstanding superhero". Even their line deliveries are roughly alike.

I can't be the only tired of it. :funny:

I'd prefer if Superman started to resemble Bond in how the actors were so unique from one another. I haven't necessarily disliked anyone's Superman performance, but they all blend in too well. That goes the same for the animated iterations too.

I think it's what has contributed to his stale image. These actors aren't breaking out from the generic mold of "upstanding superhero". Even their line deliveries are roughly alike.

I can't be the only tired of it. :funny:

Wasn't a major complaint about DCEU Superman a lack of that quality?

Wasn't a major complaint about DCEU Superman a lack of that quality?
I'm talking more about their general presence and manner of speech. Irrespective of how they're written, I can imagine all these actors as interchangeable if their Superman projects were swapped.

I do hope Cavil comes back but if he doesn't then I'll be prepared to move on. I wanted the WB to keep Routh on board but I had to move on from him as well. What is sad though IMO is that the WB might actually waste now two good Supermen.

I agree with all this.

Having read the vast majority of Superman comics from the Golden Age until now, I have to say that this is just not true. Any time Superman has gone up against similar obstacles in the comics, he has behaved pretty close to how he behaved in BvS. In fact, I wouldn't say Superman was different but rather the world in which he existed. Other forms of media, like the comics, often soften the way the world would respond to Superman, particularly in the aftermath of city-wide collateral damage and a mysterious international incident. BvS didn't change Superman; it placed him in the real world with real world consequences.

Correct. Too many people equate Clark-el's depiction in S:TM as "like he is in the comics." That's not how Byrne or Waid wrote him. Golden Age Superman also watched a bad guy die after exposing him to his own chemical weapon.

Tbh I never really gave Routh a fair shake because he was supposed to be the same character as Reeve's Superman, and I never liked Reeve's Superman (the type of cheesiness was way before my time). Snyder's Supes however did the job of bringing me to the Superman comics itself and I've been a fan since. So for me, Synder's Supes is muh Superman, but I can totally see how the direction he went with was divisive.

It just seems me that WB made the mistake of not doing a Superman movie that played it straight (without Snyder's darker take) without being tied to a past movie (Reeve --> Routh). I think if they made a played-straight origin, essentially redoing the original but with modern sensibilities and without the weird stuff like the hibernating for a decade, that would've done better than both previous solos.

Having read the vast majority of Superman comics from the Golden Age until now, I have to say that this is just not true. Any time Superman has gone up against similar obstacles in the comics, he has behaved pretty close to how he behaved in BvS. In fact, I wouldn't say Superman was different but rather the world in which he existed. Other forms of media, like the comics, often soften the way the world would respond to Superman, particularly in the aftermath of city-wide collateral damage and a mysterious international incident. BvS didn't change Superman; it placed him in the real world with real world consequences.

Man, can you imagine Superman existing in our real-life post-Trump world? The xenophobia would probably be 10x worse, and I wouldn't even blame Supes if he just straight went "this **** ain't worth it" and went off world.

Man, can you imagine Superman existing in our real-life post-Trump world? The xenophobia would probably be 10x worse, and I wouldn't even blame Supes if he just straight went "this **** ain't worth it" and went off world.

The response would probably be an extreme variation of the hysteria surrounding the emerging heliocentric view of the universe, the discovery of the New World, the detonation of the first atomic bomb, and 9/11. It would bring out the absolute best and worst in humanity, sort of like the way humanity was portrayed in Arrival. Superman would definitely be justified in walking away from it all if it genuinely seemed like his presence was doing more harm than good, but he would more than likely find a way to get through it, probably with some help from the best of humanity.

"Mars looks cozy. Lots of wide open space!"

I wasn't suggesting that they should just pay up, but I'm too ill today to have a counter-point debate.

For ease of debate, what will happen, either way, will happen when it happens.

lol I was gonna help you out but I was way too late on the subject.

some guy(s) thinking we know absolutely nothing about the negotiation.

when the info we're getting are from combined bloggers who got scoops like Black Hawk, New Gods, GLC, Sup in Shazam, JL reshoots etc correct.

Superman, Clark Kent Reporter, Clark.... three very different characters... one true, two others extended acts...

Reeve has been the only actor to date in my mind that pulled this of. A modern interpretation could be so much fun, snyder just didn't utilize what he had, properly.

Superman, Clark Kent Reporter, Clark.... three very different characters... one true, two others extended acts...

Reeve has been the only actor to date in my mind that pulled this of. A modern interpretation could be so much fun, snyder just didn't utilize what he had, properly.
Honestly I hated Reeve's Clark. I didn't like the goofy Clark. I prefer Caine's, Cavill and Routh's Clark.

Honestly I hated Reeve's Clark. I didn't like the goofy Clark. I prefer Caine's, Cavill and Routh's Clark.

So the exact same personality as Superman just wearing glasses?. I know you'll say that Clark acting a goon draws more attention etc and that is true but what it does is draw negative attention. Meaning no one is gonna think this doofus could possibly be a Superman of any kind. If you play Clark anywhere close to his personality being anything like Superman's then you might as well put a stamp on your forehead that says you're Superman. Reeve got it right as Clark because he understood that you have to act completely different because the glasses aren't enough. He also slouched slightly and hunched his shoulders and changed his voice to sound more nasally. The acting part of being Clark Kent is gone now and frankly it just makes the disguise seem more rediculous that no one knows this guy is Superman.

So the exact same personality as Superman just wearing glasses?. I know you'll say that Clark acting a goon draws more attention etc and that is true but what it does is draw negative attention. Meaning no one is gonna think this doofus could possibly be a Superman of any kind. If you play Clark anywhere close to his personality being anything like Superman's then you might as well put a stamp on your forehead that says you're Superman. Reeve got it right as Clark because he understood that you have to act completely different because the glasses aren't enough. He also slouched slightly and hunched his shoulders and changed his voice to sound more nasally. The acting part of being Clark Kent is gone now and frankly it just makes the disguise seem more rediculous that no one knows this guy is Superman.

This is why I liked Routh's Clark. He wasn't over the top like Reeve's Clark but he also was very different than his own Superman. The contrast between how he portrays Superman when Supes takes Lois for a little fight over Metropolis to moments later when Lois comes out of the elevator and Clark is eating dinner with the gang with a napkin in his shirt is pretty effective, imo. His Clark feels like a real person without making you think he could be Superman.

:mnm:
This is why I liked Routh's Clark. He wasn't over the top like Reeve's Clark but he also was very different than his own Superman. The contrast between how he portrays Superman when Supes takes Lois for a little fight over Metropolis to moments later when Lois comes out of the elevator and Clark is eating dinner with the gang with a napkin in his shirt is pretty effective, imo. His Clark feels like a real person without making you think he could be Superman.

How is Clark eating in that moment such a different transition?. He's just eating food lol. Rouths Superman had no personality other than the sad face emoticon and his Clark while definitely a little goofy just isn't enough to distract the fact he's Superman. As I said with Reeve it was more than acting goofy. He walked different, he slouched, he hunched his shoulders, he changed his voice. Rouths voice was just as nasally as Superman as he was as Clark. I'm not saying the actor has to play Clark as tripping over stuff all the time but they have to carry themselves differently in a big way. When Clark was in Lois apartment, took off his Glasses and stood up right, you saw the absolute genius of not just Clarks disguise but Reeve as an actor. He gains what looks like 4 inches, his shoulders go back, his voice becomes deep and Imposing and he commands the screen. Even though you know he's the same person, you believe in that moment that he isn't. No one else has done that for me. They all play Clark to much the same as Superman.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Routh was a solid Clark Kent and think he did that role justice. I was always harsh on Routh but over the years and after going back to SR a few times, Brandon would have had a good chance to grow into the Superman role if he was givin' the chance to put his stamp on the character and not be asked to be a clone of Reeve. I believe Singer poisoned the Superman-well wayyyyy more than Snyder ever did. Say what you want about Zack but he gave us some tasty looking shots. At times, Superman never looked better.

Lois literally sees through the disguise at the very beginning of the second Reeve film, which is set essentially the day after the first film. She even starts to figure it out at the end of the first film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"