Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

To be honest I think Cavill is a horrible actor, I wanted a recast years ago. The only reason I would have wanted Cavill to stay on is so they don’t have to restart. But I honestly think he’s a sh** Superman and I’m happy we’re getting a full reboot. The DCEU was fundamentally ****ed and this is the only logical option at this point.

That's fair. Every fan of these things are viable. I will forever be a Superman lover, but there are hurdles on the horizon with this next adaption. Sectors of an already existed (but divided) fanbase may not return so lets hope, for the characters sake, that fans show up for the next franchise starter. If they don't, I fear we won't see Superman again for a long time. Taking my personal feelings out of the equation for an iteration that I bought into, my fingers are crossed for the health and nourishment of the cinematic Superman character.:hrt:

big-sean.gif

I don't think there's any sort of grand conspiracy to screw over Cacill; I doubt Cavill's gonna be the only recast, in fact I guarantee he won't. It's no different than Reeves wanting his own Batman and not Ben Affleck CGIed to look like a 20-something.

Love to see it.

This whole thing only highlights how big of a mess things are at WB. They gave him the go ahead in october, only to take it back 2 months later, and all of a sudden there is a new 10 year plan. Steven Knight's MOS 2 treatment had Brainiac as the villain, it only makes things a bit more sour. Eh, for some reason I believe he keeps Gal as WW and Margot as HQ.

This whole thing only highlights how big of a mess things are at WB. They gave him the go ahead in october, only to take it back 2 months later, and all of a sudden there is a new 10 year plan. Steven Knight's MOS 2 treatment had Brainiac as the villain, it only makes things a bit more sour. Eh, for some reason I believe he keeps Gal as WW and Margot as HQ.

I don’t know why De Luca and Abdy gave the go-ahead for him to announce his return when they knew Zaslav was looking for someone to run DC Films.

I also think it’s pretty poor from Dany Garcia as Cavill’s manager. How did she not have the foresight to recognise new management might want to come in and reboot? Especially when they only had a verbal agreement.

I also think it’s pretty poor from Dany Garcia as Cavill’s manager. How did she not have the foresight to recognise new management might want to come in and reboot? Especially when they only had a verbal agreement.
Good point.

I am ultra sad my Supes got the shaft in that manner. I am REALLY struggling with it..won't lie. I'm defeated.

The only valid replacement for me to take over is David Corwenswet and I'm really afraid to start to accept he will be my guy because WB might get whiff we like the dude so they'd take that for what it is and not cast him lol. That's how much distrust I have in this studio.

James Gunn confirmed that Peacemaker is safe and probably his little corner of The Suicide Squad as well. Margot Robbie is also returning.

Gunn had no intention of bringing Cavill back, as stated how BA and WBD's decision was before he got there.

It's already wonky. Gunn said Clark will be younger and will meet his Daily Planet Metropolis cast for the first time in the film; but no origin. He said Superman already knows the other DC characters so no reboot, but it clearly is. He said how Cavill was just not the right age for his Superman story but it's transparent that Gunn wrote the story to write Cavill out and not the other way around.

With the news of the studio in the major red and in debt by taking the $800 mil tax break on WW3 and the ongoing plummet of WB by investors, it's probably a case of not being able to fulfill huge contracts Cavill and Gadot were destined to make (it was said Gal was on track to earn $20 mil for her next go around).

The DCU is already off to a major rocky start. They should have waited 5 years for a gap to go through with this. It's going to be mightly messy. We'll see how it goes I suppose.

If this isn't a hard reboot then axing Cavill kills this dead in the water for me. The main appeal of merely doing a soft reboot is to finally see what Cavill's Superman would be like in a non-Snyder movie with a more balanced tone and comic accurate world. I don't want a soft reboot just for the sake of a soft reboot...just do a hard reboot, for Christ's sake.

If this isn't a hard reboot then axing Cavill kills this dead in the water for me. The main appeal of merely doing a soft reboot is to finally see what Cavill's Superman would be like in a non-Snyder movie with a more balanced tone and comic accurate world. I don't want a soft reboot just for the sake of a soft reboot...just do a hard reboot, for Christ's sake.

More is coming out what WBD walked into with the old regimes fudged studio financial books. It couldn't get uglier right now for WBD and DC Studios. Didn't realize it was THAT bad so it makes sense they can't pay certain talent to continue a whacked out universe and 2023 is going to be even WORSE for DC as noone is going to show up for the next slated films. It doesn't even feel Shazam FotG's even exists at this point.

There's going to be a TON riding on Gunn's Superman film and will determine where the DCU goes after that. Pretty nerve-racking as a Superman fan that a lot is already riding on a reboot where givin it fails, the Superman character will be blamed once again. Back uphill we go.

More is coming out what WBD walked into with the old regimes fudged studio financial books. It couldn't get uglier right now for WBD and DC Studios. Didn't realize it was THAT bad so it makes sense they can't pay certain talent to continue a whacked out universe and 2023 is going to be even WORSE for DC as noone is going to show up for the next slated films. It doesn't even feel Shazam FotG's even exists at this point.

There's going to be a TON riding on Gunn's Superman film and will determine where the DCU goes after that. Pretty nerve-racking as a Superman fan that a lot is already riding on a reboot where givin it fails, the Superman character will be blamed once again. Back uphill we go.

It really shouldn't be that hard. These execs just don't know what they're doing.

Just make a really good standalone Superman movie that actually gets Superman right. Make a series of those movies where a hopeful, optimistic, inspiring Superman faces different members of his rogues gallery...Brainiac, Parasite, Metallo, Lobo, Livewire, Luminus, etc, with a cunning, serious businessman Lex Luthor scheming in the background as a recurring character. Then you stagger those movies with Reeves' Batman movies, doing their own thing with Batman facing his own rogues gallery. Focus on building solid Batman and Superman movie series that people are hyped about individually, and THEN cross them over, in a movie where they work together rather than fight (though their personalities should clash in a fun way, they should never be trying to kill eachother).

After you've done that, THEN you make Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Aquaman.

Then after THAT, you make a Justice League movie.

Not hard at all. But for some reason it's like rocket science to these execs...

Yeah all they have to do is snap their finger and the perfect script will show up! Super easy!

I swear people think just because they can fancast something that sounds good that it must be that easy to be in charge!

People also need to understand Marvel is an anomaly. The exception not the rule. No other studio has the structure and pockets to pull off what Marvel has. And even their quality has been wavering.

People also need to understand Marvel is an anomaly. The exception not the rule. No other studio has the structure and pockets to pull off what Marvel has. And even their quality has been wavering.

Marvel built their own movie studio while they were still an independent comic book company, which is why they had the infrastructure to create the MCU (which is pretty much the cinematic version of a comic book universe, with Kevin Feige serving as the editor in chief).

Whereas DC is fractured and disorganized, trying to compete with the MCU but still being stuck with the "old model" of superhero movie making (letting directors and producers doing whatever the hell they want, or executives who don't understand superheroes giving bad notes when they do try to step in).

Marvel didn't just start out with deep pockets and the perfect structure though. They started small and slowly built the MCU and their film division from the ground up. Marvel is an anomaly because they succeeded where far bigger studios with more money have failed.

Marvel didn't just start out with deep pockets and the perfect structure though. They started small and slowly built the MCU and their film division from the ground up. Marvel is an anomaly because they succeeded where far bigger studios with more money have failed.

Right, but they were a functioning indie studio that got acquired by a multibillion dollar company and were allowed to continue operating with relative autonomy. It’s a subsidiary, not a division.

DC is not in that position. It’s a division. There was no preexisting studio that could be folded into WB. WB is trying to back that out from a traditional Hollywood production company. But there are already existing politics and stakeholders that make that impossible. And WB isn’t unique in that. Sony failed already and is floundering at it again. Universal failed at it. Even Disney struggles with Lucasfilms and that’s also a subsidiary.

So yeah, I think anyone thinking Gunn and Safran hard rebooting DC will change things dramatically might be disappointed. I could be wrong and will be glad to be frankly. But it sounds no different to me than Snyder/Roven or Johns/Berg. I think Gunn is a capable filmmaker, but can he also double as an exec? I dunno. I just expect the same uneven output we’ve been getting.

Right, but they were a functioning indie studio that got acquired by a multibillion dollar company and were allowed to continue operating with relative autonomy. It’s a subsidiary, not a division.

DC is not in that position. It’s a division. There was no preexisting studio that could be folded into WB. WB is trying to back that out from a traditional Hollywood production company. But there are already existing politics and stakeholders that make that impossible. And WB isn’t unique in that. Sony failed already and is floundering at it again. Universal failed at it. Even Disney struggles with Lucasfilms and that’s also a subsidiary.

So yeah, I think anyone thinking Gunn and Safran hard rebooting DC will change things dramatically might be disappointed. I could be wrong and will be glad to be frankly. But it sounds no different to me than Snyder/Roven or Johns/Berg. I think Gunn is a capable filmmaker, but can he also double as an exec? I dunno. I just expect the same uneven output we’ve been getting.

It's already happening in front of our eyes and as we speak. He's fighting fans and said he won't be recasting everyone so it's already a cherrypicked-verse right off the bat. Kind of alarming for DC Studios to allow Gunn the platform right now. They should wait until everything dies down. It's fire playing with fire and it's a terrible look.

Anyone expecting a 100-year-old leopard to change its spots is setting themselves up for disappointment, imo. As far as I’m concerned, the sooner WB figures out they were better off doing things the way they always did it up til this last decade, the better, imo. They will never be able to successfully do things the Marvel way….unless they cut the DC brand loose entirely when DC buys its own freedom like a gladiator of Rome, DC somehow then forms it’s own movie studio to make movies about its own characters, makes a couple successful movies on its own to prove they know what they’re doing and gets re-acquired by WB with a “hands-off” promise. Which is a fairytale that ain’t ever gonna happen lol. DC’s fate was sealed the moment it’s entire catalogue of IP’s was bought by a major studio before anyone knew CBM’s would even be a thing. They need to work with the scenario they have, not the scenario they wish they had.

Anyone expecting a 100-year-old leopard to change its spots is setting themselves up for disappointment, imo. As far as I’m concerned, the sooner WB figures out they were better off doing things the way they always did it up til this last decade, the better, imo. They will never be able to successfully do things the Marvel way….unless they cut the DC brand loose entirely when DC buys its own freedom like a gladiator of Rome, DC somehow then forms it’s own movie studio to make movies about its own characters, makes a couple successful movies on its own to prove they know what they’re doing and gets re-acquired by WB with a “hands-off” promise. Which is a fairytale that ain’t ever gonna happen lol. DC’s fate was sealed the moment it’s entire catalogue of IP’s was bought by a major studio before anyone knew CBM’s would even be a thing. They need to work with the scenario they have, not the scenario they wish they had.

giphy.gif

The biggest shame is WB had ALL DC characters in house!! They weren’t split like marvel characters!! They should have had the best chance nematocysts universe but “short sightedness didn’t help them

The biggest shame is WB had ALL DC characters in house!! They weren’t split like marvel characters!! They should have had the best chance nematocysts universe but “short sightedness didn’t help them

This advantage was also their doom. WB bought DC before they knew what they had cinematically. Like flick said, DC would have to go indie and reestablish their brand in the market, then get acquired by a studio with deep pockets while still maintaining relative autonomy to even begin to compete with Marvel.

And that scenario ain’t happening anytime soon.

Anyone expecting a 100-year-old leopard to change its spots is setting themselves up for disappointment, imo. As far as I’m concerned, the sooner WB figures out they were better off doing things the way they always did it up til this last decade, the better, imo.

I do think in the long run that David Zaslav did a good thing forming DC Studios. I think its going to be better than when they were trusting Zack Snyder to run everything (I would rather have Gunn's crude humor than Snyder's toxic masculinity).

Last edited:
To be honest, I am a lot more hopeful about the DCU.

David Zaslav sees it as a big priority. Gunn is a comic book fan who respects the genre (even if his humor isn't to everyone's tastes). Peter Safran produced Aquaman into an A list movie franchise, so he seems to know what he is doing. Everyone who ****ed up the DCEU and got us here (Snyder, Greg Silverman, Walter Hamada, etc) are mostly gone.

And Superman is getting rebooted with a new actor.

I see that as progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"