Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
:mnm:

How is Clark eating in that moment such a different transition?. He's just eating food lol. Rouths Superman had no personality other than the sad face emoticon and his Clark while definitely a little goofy just isn't enough to distract the fact he's Superman. As I said with Reeve it was more than acting goofy. He walked different, he slouched, he hunched his shoulders, he changed his voice. Rouths voice was just as nasally as Superman as he was as Clark. I'm not saying the actor has to play Clark as tripping over stuff all the time but they have to carry themselves differently in a big way. When Clark was in Lois apartment, took off his Glasses and stood up right, you saw the absolute genius of not just Clarks disguise but Reeve as an actor. He gains what looks like 4 inches, his shoulders go back, his voice becomes deep and Imposing and he commands the screen. Even though you know he's the same person, you believe in that moment that he isn't. No one else has done that for me. They all play Clark to much the same as Superman.

I couldn't find that clip so I can't demonstrate the difference visually. It's just the way Superman acts, the way his hair is, his blue eyes pop more, he is more measured in what he says, he stands up straight, etc. Then when Lois comes down the elevator and see Clark eating with Jimmy, Richard, and Jason, Clark just has a more manic, curious expression, the glasses on, the hair covering his face, his mouth movement, with the napkin in his shirt. Every time I watch that scene, I can see how people wouldn't mistake them for the same person.

And yes, he does have some silly or goofy qualities, but it's much more toned down compared to Reeve's Clark. I remember an interview Routh did back before the movie came out and he talked about how he wanted to make sure Clark didn't stand out too much, that people wouldn't notice him, but at the same time, he still will have a certain amount of fish-out-of-water exuberance, being a small ville guy in a big city and in a very packed news bullpen. So he would still have moments of bumping into someone, stuff like that, but it wouldn't be cartoonish live Reeve's Clark was. And that's how it came across to me.

Melissa Benoist does a similar take with her Kara and Supergirl on her show. Public Kara feels like a real person and yet still very different than Supergirl, who also feels like a real person. Different aspects of their personalities being highlighted.

I've always been of the belief that it's not just one person who then wears two masks (public Clark and Superman), with private Clark/Kal-El being the real person, but rather, a continuum. Public Clark (if done well), private Clark/Kal-El (the guy his parents, Lois, Jon, Bruce, Diana, J'onn, etc, know), and Superman are all just different aspects of the same person with different qualities dialed up. I imagine Clark feels most natural when he is private Clark as that is how he grew up, but those other facets of who he is are also real, not just masks.

We can be one way at work, another way with our partner, a goofball when with our friends, obnoxious when playing sports or being competitive. Which is the real us? They all are. I remember some years back when I was a high school guidance counselor and I was pretty professional at work because I had to be a role model (I still had a sense of humor, but it was much more muted). Then when I was with my friends on the weekends, sometimes when I'd get really get carried away with joking around, they'd jokingly ask me how they ever let me work with kids. Both sides were a part of me-- the professional, responsible side and the laid back goofball who doesn't shut up.

Btw, I think the same for Batman given I always hear people say Batman is his true face and Bruce is the mask. Nah ah. Both are parts of who is. Here is a definition on personality: http://www.apa.org/topics/personality/
Personality refers to individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving. The study of personality focuses on two broad areas: One is understanding individual differences in particular personality characteristics, such as sociability or irritability. The other is understanding how the various parts of a person come together as a whole.
The key part of that is that one's personality comprises the whole range of attributes contained within an individual. This is why they changed the diagnostic term from Multiple Personality Disorder to Dissociative Identity Disorder 25 years ago because the APA recognized that MPD was actually a misnomer, it was inaccurate. All the identities were parts of the one personality.

Anyway, I sort of went on a stream of consciousness with respect to identity. Sorry for being long-winded, but I find this stuff fascinating. :woot:

I couldn't find that clip so I can't demonstrate the difference visually. It's just the way Superman acts, the way his hair is, his blue eyes pop more, he is more measured in what he says, he stands up straight, etc. Then when Lois comes down the elevator and see Clark eating with Jimmy, Richard, and Jason, Clark just has a more manic, curious expression, the glasses on, the hair covering his face, his mouth movement, with the napkin in his shirt. Every time I watch that scene, I can see how people wouldn't mistake them for the same person.
Yup.
And yes, he does have some silly or goofy qualities, but it's much more toned down compared to Reeve's Clark. I remember an interview Routh did back before the movie came out and he talked about how he wanted to make sure Clark didn't stand out too much, that people wouldn't notice him, but at the same time, he still will have a certain amount of fish-out-of-water exuberance, being a small ville guy in a big city and in a very packed news bullpen. So he would still have moments of bumping into someone, stuff like that, but it wouldn't be cartoonish live Reeve's Clark was. And that's how it came across to me.
Yeah, Clark mostly stays in background, does not draw too much attention to himself, unlike Donner's Clark who was bumbling, clumsy and goofy to such an extent that he was constantly drawing attention to himself.
I've always been of the belief that it's not just one person who then wears two masks (public Clark and Superman), with private Clark/Kal-El being the real person, but rather, a continuum. Public Clark (if done well), private Clark/Kal-El (the guy his parents, Lois, Jon, Bruce, Diana, J'onn, etc, know), and Superman are all just different aspects of the same person with different qualities dialed up. I imagine Clark feels most natural when he is private Clark as that is how he grew up, but those other facets of who he is are also real, not just masks.
At the time of SR's release, Routh said that his approach was to play 3 different personalities, one is real Clark Kent who talks with his mother, second is public persona of reporter Clark Kent who is bit goofy and introvert, and the third is Superman.
We can be one way at work, another way with our partner, a goofball when with our friends, obnoxious when playing sports or being competitive. Which is the real us? They all are. I remember some years back when I was a high school guidance counselor and I was pretty professional at work because I had to be a role model (I still had a sense of humor, but it was much more muted). Then when I was with my friends on the weekends, sometimes when I'd get really get carried away with joking around, they'd jokingly ask me how they ever let me work with kids. Both sides were a part of me-- the professional, responsible side and the laid back goofball who doesn't shut up.
This.
Btw, I think the same for Batman given I always hear people say Batman is his true face and Bruce is the mask. Nah ah. Both are parts of who is.
Anyway, I sort of went on a stream of consciousness with respect to identity. Sorry for being long-winded, but I find this stuff fascinating. :woot:
Agreed.
He's just eating food lol. Rouths Superman had no personality other than the sad face emoticon ...
No.
tumblr_m1qmzcDMQe1qawdqko1_500.gif

Last edited:
This is why I liked Routh's Clark. He wasn't over the top like Reeve's Clark but he also was very different than his own Superman. The contrast between how he portrays Superman when Supes takes Lois for a little fight over Metropolis to moments later when Lois comes out of the elevator and Clark is eating dinner with the gang with a napkin in his shirt is pretty effective, imo. His Clark feels like a real person without making you think he could be Superman.

I tend to agree, Clark in (SR) blended in as a nobody, he felt real. A shy character that you just kind of leave to it.

His superman, had they styled his hair differently, given him a decent suit - thrown a punch could have been great.

I honestly feel with a better director, his clark on the farm could have been better too... I was ok with Routh as supes.

Melissa Benoist does a similar take with her Kara and Supergirl on her show. Public Kara feels like a real person and yet still very different than Supergirl, who also feels like a real person. Different aspects of their personalities being highlighted.

Btw, I think the same for Batman given I always hear people say Batman is his true face and Bruce is the mask. Nah ah. Both are parts of who is. Here is a definition on personality: http://www.apa.org/topics/personality/ The key part of that is that one's personality comprises the whole range of attributes contained within an individual. This is why they changed the diagnostic term from Multiple Personality Disorder to Dissociative Identity Disorder 25 years ago because the APA recognized that MPD was actually a misnomer, it was inaccurate. All the identities were parts of the one personality.

great reply. well done.

I tend to agree, Clark in (SR) blended in as a nobody, he felt real. A shy character that you just kind of leave to it.

His superman, had they styled his hair differently, given him a decent suit - thrown a punch could have been great.

I honestly feel with a better director, his clark on the farm could have been better too... I was ok with Routh as supes.
Singer wanted to show loner side of Superman, which is why his Superman was not as 'showy' as Reeves' Superman. I think it was a mistake, had Singer allowed Routh's Superman portrayal close to Reeve's Superman, the movie would have turned out to be a hit.

Can't believe Rick rolling is even a thing anymore..... ****ing hell.

The more I think about the plans they have for Superman, the more I think Cavill really really should sign the contract

Combining the rumors of being the "Nick Fury" of DCU, Supergirl plans, Shazam easter eggs, this is what WB has in store for Superman

- Bigger and bigger roles in Shazam series - Shazam, Black Adam, and Shazam/BA/Sup showdown

- Supergirl franchise - surely he'll be a support character there, for 1-3 films

- JL - when the brand is good again, they might revisit LOD, Darkseid, Flashpoint...Superman's gonna be the leader and the mentor

- Batman is the central figure of Bat universe, Sup might be the figure for the rest of DCU, he might pop in and out of Flash, GLC as well as Supergirl and Shazam

- finally his own franchise, which should really happen if someone with clout comes in and pitches the stories *wink McQ

With Tsujihara not guiding the ship anymore, the next Superman (Cavill or someone else) could be the face of DCU

I really want Cavill in The Witcher especially if there's gonna be a sex scene on the unicorn like in the game, so hopefully he migrates to R rated TV instead

I said too much.

*runs away*

The more I think about the plans they have for Superman, the more I think Cavill really really should sign the contract

Combining the rumors of being the "Nick Fury" of DCU, Supergirl plans, Shazam easter eggs, this is what WB has in store for Superman

- Bigger and bigger roles in Shazam series - Shazam, Black Adam, and Shazam/BA/Sup showdown

- Supergirl franchise - surely he'll be a support character there, for 1-3 films

- JL - when the brand is good again, they might revisit LOD, Darkseid, Flashpoint...Superman's gonna be the leader and the mentor

- Batman is the central figure of Bat universe, Sup might be the figure for the rest of DCU, he might pop in and out of Flash, GLC as well as Supergirl and Shazam

- finally his own franchise, which should really happen if someone with clout comes in and pitches the stories *wink McQ

With Tsujihara not guiding the ship anymore, the next Superman (Cavill or someone else) could be the face of DCU

It all sounds great but does Cavill want to play the role for another ten years? Maybe he’s thinking he wants to do a few more but not ten years worth?

Also something to factor in if he wants creative input (which he damn sure should get) maybe that’s not on the table from WB’s offer.

I really want Cavill in The Witcher especially if there's gonna be a sex scene on the unicorn like in the game, so hopefully he migrates to R rated TV instead

I said too much.

*runs away*

:funny:

That was some good RickRolling.

WB are investing heavily into DC Cinematic Universe, if it fails again like JL because of him (Tsujihara), I bet he's Out, AT&T investors and shareholders will want him out in the next Annual meeting.

Which is why Tsujihara has given most of the charge over to Hamada. Cavill shouldn't take anything for granted. His movie MI:6 is doing great business, so Cavill is feeling great too but mood in WB camp is not great since JL bombed. lol.

How is Clark eating in that moment such a different transition?. He's just eating food lol.

Well, one moment earlier he was romantically flying Lois through the city, the next he's gulfing down a chicken burrito while wearing a napkin like a dork. Routh sells it well and you can tell playing Clark is when he's having most fun. Reeve had his standing up straight moment, but beyond that the contrast also came from making him heroic one moment, mundane the next, like when he spills Perry's drink. His voice did change between personas, but so did Routh's, which would've been more evident if he'd had more lines as Superman. Look at the "Like riding a bike" scene.

The reason why I like Cain, Routh and Cavill's Clark more is because they weren't over the top goofy and they were more like real people who you could hang out with but would also never suspect that he was Superman as well. As much as I like Reeve for the most part to me his Clark was just annoying.

Here we go. Robles teasing something with Cavill.

He posted a gif of Henry in MoS before his first flight closing his eyes before putting his fist to the ground.

Last edited:
I've been as guilty as anyone for following these internet teases. I've had enough of it.

Here we go. Robles teasing something with Cavill.

He posted a gif of Henry in MoS before his first flight closing his eyes before putting his fist to the ground.

Some great "smell the fart" acting from Henry there :oldrazz:

Gotta say I really don't like these bloggers doing **** like this.

I've been as guilty as anyone for following these internet teases. I've had enough of it.

There's nothing else to do and Big Blue is our boy so..

..why not lol. It's a part of being a fan I suppose.

They really shouldn't tease things the way they keep doing though.

I know and I know you want another Superman film just like me. I'm just tired of them posting images of Superman waving goodbye or walking out of the scout ship. I don't want to be played by them. If they have something, say it.

I just keep hoping I wake up one morning pick up my phone and see a headline 'HENRY CAVILL SIGNS A 10 YEAR CONTRACT WITH WB TO KEEP PLAYING SUPERMAN' or something like that.

Mario has followed it up with the word “Esperanza” which translates to “Hope” in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"