Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

To be honest, I am a lot more hopeful about the DCU.

David Zaslav sees it as a big priority. Gunn is a comic book fan who respects the genre (even if his humor isn't to everyone's tastes). Peter Safran produced Aquaman into an A list movie franchise, so he seems to know what he is doing. Everyone who ****ed up the DCEU and got us here (Snyder, Greg Silverman, Walter Hamada, etc) are mostly gone.

And Superman is getting rebooted with a new actor.

I see that as progress.

I would feel the same way if someone better was in charge of the new DC Universe. My personal feelings for him aside, asking James Gunn to write for Superman is like asking Michael Bay to write for Wonder Woman. James Gunn lacks the creativity or insight to successfully write any faithful treatment involving Superman's character.

Not to mention, both Aquaman and Wonder Woman had successful origin movies that aren't even close to being 10 years old. Is Gunn just going to skip the origin stories for most of the Justice League?

I think timing is an issue here also. DC is jumping from setting up one universe (Snyder's), to a seemingly more independent approach (The Batman / Joker movies) to a potential multiversal approach with different iterations of the same character (the upcoming Flash movie) to now casting it all asides and going with a totally new DCU under Gunn's direction. There are currently 3 actors playing Batman in movies, and between the CW shows and movies, more versions of other DC charactes.

All that has happened in the relatively short space of 9 years, since Man of Steel was released and kicked off the Snyderverse.

I get that they're trying to get their slice of the superhero genre pie whilst it's still massively popular, as it will no doubt inevitably decline just like the 60s Western genre did and the 90s Frat comedy genre did. But at some point, surely audience fatigue and lack of studio direction can only be resolved by taking a timely break from it all.

Well I hope they can finally get there act together!! I was a BIG DC fan in my youth (eons ago) would like to get excited about them again!!

Not to mention, both Aquaman and Wonder Woman had successful origin movies that aren't even close to being 10 years old. Is Gunn just going to skip the origin stories for most of the Justice League?

If he isn't doing Superman's origin again, I don't see why he would give us another Wonder Woman or Aquaman origin story.

For me personally, I think sacrificing Cavill (as much as I like him) is well worth it if it means getting rid of Snyder and his "edgy / for grownups" nonsense that infected Superman and the DCU like a COVID virus on steriods.
That being said, James Gunn doing a superman story does leave me a bit....uneasy. I've liked alot of what he has done in the past (GOTG 1, Peacemaker, Slither and The suicide squad) and I think he's an excellent writer with a unique voice but his dark, snarky style of writing doesn't mesh with Superman's straight laissed optimisim, so I really hope that he knows this and will adjust accordingly.

For me personally, I think sacrificing Cavill (as much as I like him) is well worth it if it means getting rid of Snyder and his "edgy / for grownups" nonsense that infected Superman and the DCU like a COVID virus on steriods.
That being said, James Gunn doing a superman story does leave me a bit....uneasy. I've liked alot of what he has done in the past (GOTG 1, Peacemaker, Slither and The suicide squad) and I think he's an excellent writer with a unique voice but his dark, snarky style of writing doesn't mesh with Superman's straight laissed optimisim, so I really hope that he knows this and will adjust accordingly.

When Zack Snyder had first been announced as the Director for MOS, I tried to convince myself that he wouldn't bring his normal dark and gritty storytelling to Superman's character. We all know how that turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"