Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

feel bad for cavill.
this is the studio's fault. an incompetent way to handle things.
and probably dany garcia's and the rock's fault too. :hehe:
maybe he can get casted in the mcu now. :funny:

but at the same time, at least there's no longer that will he or won't he back and forth anymore. that's a relief.

all signs pointing to a hard reboot where they wipe the slate clean of any connection to the snyderverse.
as much as i enjoyed the snyder films, this is probably for the greater good for DC in the long run.

wb is probably waiting to see how well aquaman 2 and the flash movie do at the box office before they set more things in stone though.
they need to get rid of ezra the most though. they are a destructive, toxic child.

It boggles my mind that after all the violent and sexual criminal antics that Ezra Miller has got up to in the last couple of years, he is still (to all intents and purposes) employed as the Flash. Meanwhile, Henry Cavill, whose professionalism is impeccable and who rarely even speaks out of turn - acting as a terrific ambassado for the Superman role - is let go after WB spent years to-ing and fro-ing. It was only a few weeks back that they convinced him he had a future in the DCEU.

They really don't have a clue what direction to go in at all. Cavill's potential has been squandered whilst the years ticked by with no sign of any standalone Superman sequel, and it's been a long time since I've seen such a general consensus on social media that this is a really crappy decision.

They don't have 200 million dollars already sunk into a movie starring Henry Cavill. It's all about the numbers. It always is.

It boggles my mind that after all the violent and sexual criminal antics that Ezra Miller has got up to in the last couple of years, he is still (to all intents and purposes) employed as the Flash. Meanwhile, Henry Cavill, whose professionalism is impeccable and who rarely even speaks out of turn - acting as a terrific ambassado for the Superman role - is let go after WB spent years to-ing and fro-ing. It was only a few weeks back that they convinced him he had a future in the DCEU.

They really don't have a clue what direction to go in at all. Cavill's potential has been squandered whilst the years ticked by with no sign of any standalone Superman sequel, and it's been a long time since I've seen such a general consensus on social media that this is a really crappy decision.

The whole thing is way more complex than you are acknowledging.

Miller is 100 percent out after Flash too, make no mistake. The only reason they're even announcing the Cavill thing now is so they can get out ahead of the story rather than having it leaked by someone like The Hollywood Reporter or Deadline.

It's clear there will be a full reboot.

I'm curious if this includes no more Peacemaker.

It's clear there will be a full reboot.

I'm curious if this includes no more Peacemaker.

James Gunn confirmed that Peacemaker is safe and probably his little corner of The Suicide Squad as well. Margot Robbie is also returning.

Gunn had no intention of bringing Cavill back, as stated how BA and WBD's decision was before he got there.

It's already wonky. Gunn said Clark will be younger and will meet his Daily Planet Metropolis cast for the first time in the film; but no origin. He said Superman already knows the other DC characters so no reboot, but it clearly is. He said how Cavill was just not the right age for his Superman story but it's transparent that Gunn wrote the story to write Cavill out and not the other way around.

With the news of the studio in the major red and in debt by taking the $800 mil tax break on WW3 and the ongoing plummet of WB by investors, it's probably a case of not being able to fulfill huge contracts Cavill and Gadot were destined to make (it was said Gal was on track to earn $20 mil for her next go around).

The DCU is already off to a major rocky start. They should have waited 5 years for a gap to go through with this. It's going to be mightly messy. We'll see how it goes I suppose.

James Gunn confirmed that Peacemaker is safe and probably his little corner of The Suicide Squad as well. Margot Robbie is also returning.

When did he confirm that? His last confirmation was that it was safe from all the cancellations Zaslav was doing.

So what the hell is going to happen with the rest of the slate of DC films? Aquaman, Flash?

Edit: This whole debacle just reads like another low-talent, overinflated, megalomaniacal, Joss-Whedony move. We’re never going to have a DCU, are we?

Sorry, but how is this debacle Gunn’s fault? He didn’t ask Henry to come back. He’s not beholden to the current iteration in any way. If anything this mess is in WB’s lap for bringing Henry back BEFORE they heard the plan from the guy they hired to oversee the DCU. It’s hilariously poor planning that in no way reflects poorly on Gunn.

When did he confirm that? His last confirmation was that it was safe from all the cancellations Zaslav was doing.

He said it multiple times on twitter. Even told fans to "relax relax, jeez. It's good".

A fan asked asked Robbie returning and he said "Yep".

I have my suspicions that Peacemaker was never planned to be a long-running series. Gunn probably has an endpoint in mind already, and it will come before the new DCU stuff is released anyway.

I can see Gunn using Robbie's version of Quinn again in the near future, but that would depend on whether or not she's interested in reprising the role. As far as Cena's Peacemaker is concerned, who knows what the future holds for him once his series comes to a close? I mean, with lesser known characters like Mr. Terrific and a new DC trinity taking priority now, he simply might not fit in w/ the new regime's plans. That said, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him and several others introduced in Gunn's TSS resurface at some point. Much in the same way that Cox's Daredevil is being used in the MCU right now, they could all end up getting the "reborn" treatment whereby their individual backstories are reimagined.

I can see Gunn using Robbie's version of Quinn again in the near future, but that would depend on whether or not she's interested in reprising the role. As far as Cena's Peacemaker is concerned, who knows what the future holds for him once his series comes to a close? I mean, with lesser known characters like Mr. Terrific and a new DC trinity taking priority now, he simply might not fit in w/ the new regime's plans. That said, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him and several others introduced in Gunn's TSS resurface at some point. Much in the same way that Cox's Daredevil is being used in the MCU right now, they could all end up getting the "reborn" treatment whereby their individual backstories are reimagined.

This is pretty much why I have a hard time buying Gunn's explanation for recasting Superman. The guy supposedly wants to reboot the entire DCU, yet has no problems reusing actors that were involved in his previous DC movies.

Given that he's close friends with the likes of Joss Whedon and Ezra Miller, this whole situation smells like Gunn having a power trip. I have no interest in seeing his perverted interpretation of Superman.

This is pretty much why I have a hard time buying Gunn's explanation for recasting Superman. The guy supposedly wants to reboot the entire DCU, yet has no problems reusing actors that were involved in his previous DC movies.

Given that he's close friends with the likes of Joss Whedon and Ezra Miller, this whole situation smells like Gunn having a power trip. I have no interest in seeing his perverted interpretation of Superman.

I really don't mind Gunn as a story overlord or oversee'er whatsoever. The guy is a splendid idea machine that should mentor the interconnectivity of his brand new gig.

But he was one of the last studio heads or writers that I would have wanted for Superman, for obvious reasons. I dug back into his history of his prior talks with the studio about helming a Superman film when he hopped aboard DC and..I'unno, he never seemed thrilled or keen on the character whatsoever. He never gave Supes one thought or brainwave outside of Brightburn. His fixation is admittedly with C-D list characters and was open about wanting nothing to do with Superman or any other A-lister for that matter.

Now we all know Zaslav mandated the Trinity to be up close and personal in this new DCU, so Gunn's hand on Superman was forced. That's a fear of mine for the health of the character as far as I'm concerned.

I have thought about this situation as I continue to use Twitter as a venting platform, but knowing Gunn's style and Henry's style? The two would have clashed.

Gunn's trashy humor is apart of his in your face; silly and raunchy personality and Henry (being an absolute scholar in his respective character mythos, especially Superman) is more of a stoic chap who approaches Superman in a very guarded and respective manner that I could envision them clashing over the detailed aspects of technique.

Gunn probably knew this and wanted to start fresh with a younger and green actor who they would have more control over.

In the end, to see the forest through the trees if you will, Henry probably dodged a bullet.

I'll have no problem waiting for several years to see Superman done right again on the big screen if "Superman and Lois" can get a few more quality seasons with Brainiac being introduced as a main villain. I don't expect Gunn's attempt at reintroducing the character to go well. The dude has a sick sense of humor with little to no creativity behind his huge ego.

I'll have no problem waiting for several years to see Superman done right again on the big screen if "Superman and Lois" can get a few more quality seasons with Brainiac being introduced as a main villain. I don't expect Gunn's attempt at reintroducing the character to go well. The dude has a sick sense of humor with little to no creativity behind his huge ego.

It really does feel like a setback to genre standards, especially with the lackluster MCU Phase 4 kind of being all over the place.

Younger Superman. Metropolis. Lois. Learning to be Superman, etc. We've seen it thwice over and when this new Superman is at the end of this 10 year plan, he'll be where Henry is now in age. I just wish they would have got ambitious and went for it HARD one last time with Henry (wonder what the declined script Steven Knight entailed) . If it ended up not working out, then the closure is there and the inevitable reboot would have been more welcomed.

The way the studio already mangled things out of the gates, I guess the motto rings true of "some things never change". They are going to have to win over way more fans than they initially thought. Way more than what it was in 2013. Another uphill battle for Supes I'm afraid may be lurking.

Last edited:

Gunn had no intention of bringing Cavill back, as stated how BA and WBD's decision was before he got there.

It's already wonky. Gunn said Clark will be younger and will meet his Daily Planet Metropolis cast for the first time in the film; but no origin. He said Superman already knows the other DC characters so no reboot, but it clearly is. He said how Cavill was just not the right age for his Superman story but it's transparent that Gunn wrote the story to write Cavill out and not the other way around.

With the news of the studio in the major red and in debt by taking the $800 mil tax break on WW3 and the ongoing plummet of WB by investors, it's probably a case of not being able to fulfill huge contracts Cavill and Gadot were destined to make (it was said Gal was on track to earn $20 mil for her next go around).

The DCU is already off to a major rocky start. They should have waited 5 years for a gap to go through with this. It's going to be mightly messy. We'll see how it goes I suppose.

That's whack. Either do a reboot or don't do a reboot. This is an area where the New 52 struggled. Half in and half out.

He said how Cavill was just not the right age for his Superman story but it's transparent that Gunn wrote the story to write Cavill out and not the other way around.
That's an interesting take, and I was thinking about reasons...

But with this...
I have thought about this situation as I continue to use Twitter as a venting platform, but knowing Gunn's style and Henry's style? The two would have clashed.

Gunn's trashy humor is apart of his in your face; silly and raunchy personality and Henry (being an absolute scholar in his respective character mythos, especially Superman) is more of a stoic chap who approaches Superman in a very guarded and respective manner that I could envision them clashing over the detailed aspects of technique.

Gunn probably knew this and wanted to start fresh with a younger and green actor who they would have more control over.
I could believe it.

i just hope gunn and co. treat the superman characters and mythos with respect like the bruce timm animated series did.

batman seems in good hands with reeves now.

but we need a good superman franchise.
live action movies haven't fully tapped the potential of superman stories yet.

That's an interesting take, and I was thinking about reasons...

But with this...

I could believe it.

I've just been really watching Gunn closely on Twitter and went back to previous quotes as well. The way he moves in comparison to his prior comments on Superman is pretty transparent on how he initially feels. He always wanted to stay distant from the current incarnation.

But the way he labeled this as "No origin; no this and that, he's just merely younger.." makes me believe he could have easily wrote this film to fit in Cavill but wrote the role younger for a recast. But if you think about it, the two are polar opposites and may have not been the right fit, and that's fair.

With talks of recasting Momoa as Lobo and Gunn and Safran talking "other roles for the future with Henry" (if you believe that) then cast Henry as Jor-EL or Cyborg Superman or something unless they do a Crisis later on and Henry gets his NWH sendoff.

To be honest I think Cavill is a horrible actor, I wanted a recast years ago. The only reason I would have wanted Cavill to stay on is so they don’t have to restart. But I honestly think he’s a sh** Superman and I’m happy we’re getting a full reboot. The DCEU was fundamentally ****ed and this is the only logical option at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"