Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

LMAO. Are you seriously comparing Henry’s stardom to Margot’s? You’re the real life bubble boy. Not even the same stratosphere bub.

It is not a fact. Birds of Prey was marketed poorly. That’s a fact Jack. If it was called Harley Quinn and they promoted it properly...

Margot was the most talked about cast member of Suicide Squad. Which is why she got her own movie. The mainstream rejected Margot Robbie? Nah they embraced her as they have since Wolf of Wall Street. She’s respected in the industry. The mainstream audience Are the majority seeing these movies, so to say they’ve rejected her is hilarious. Nah they rejected the concept of Birds of Prey.

Now if you want to argue that the mainstream have rejected the concept of Snyder’s movies and not so much Henry Cavill the actor then ok fair enough. But your side of the argument doesn’t add up. All I know is, Henry isn’t as known as some of you folks think.
You're moving the goalposts. If a Henry Superman solo movie flopped you'd be right here saying "AuDIeNcEs rEJeCtEd hIm"

Margot was all over the marketing. She was the main draw. Audiences looked at posters with her face on them, saw her on talk shows, saw the trailers with her all over them and saw her character on Fortnite. They still said: "nah, I'm good"

They rejected Margot Robbie the producer who thought it was a good idea to slap “Birds of Prey” onto a movie that barely resembled anything close to the BoP.

I guarantee that if/when Gunn’s squad movie does big numbers, Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn will be playing a big role in that success, just as she did with the financial success of the Ayer film.

Are we still on the McQuarrie thing? Sucks that it didn’t happen, but wasn’t that also all in the middle of them ****ing up Snyder’s whole thing AND trying to get bought out?

It also could’ve just been a pitch they didn’t like. It happens.

This is why it's important not to make simplistic, black and white statements regarding why a movie succeeded or not. We wind up putting ourselves in a box.

BoP was released in early days of Pandemic, people were not exactly rushing to theatres, only few movies got B.O. success (Sonic) that too was limited success, and it was not R rated movie like BoP was.

Many movies bombed (for example Harrison Ford's The Call of The Wild), people were busy buying Toilet papers at that time.

Still, BoP made 2.5 times it's budget, which is equivalent to some early Marvel / MCU movies.

And it did well on streaming, so I guess it was not that big disappointment as some would like to believe.

This is a weird discussion. Only one of Henry’s Superman outings failed at the box office and it was in a team movie. You could just as easily say the audience rejected Gadot or Momoa.

Putting the success or failure of a movie squarely on the shoulders of a lead actor in said movie is just an odd way to go about it. It’s typically a lot more nuanced than that. I also suspect many of you know this already and just want to argue lol.

Yep. They also brought Batman in his sequel, cut his screen time down immensley in BvS for Affleck, died at the end and wasn't even marketed in the JL campaign leading up to the film and when he was seen, his face was a CGI Sloth from the Goonies-fest. I'd be difficult to work with after the JL abortion as well. HC sat there and took on the awkward-ness head on with the JL press junkets like a champion because WB told him to act like he wasn't even in the film and carried the BvS junkets while Affleck starred into outer space but yeah..Henry's fault:funny:. GTFOOH.

I don't believe he's ever shared the details beyond it being a Supes franchise intertwined with a Green Lantern franchise.

It's tell all sign of then versus now. MQ explained in his tweet that their pitch was complicated and that the studio was not interested in his original ideas and that they wanted him to "fix their broken ones" so McQuarrie wanted to do something original and intertwine the Superman/GL franchises, so the studio passed. But wasn't this before the success of Joker?

The ironic thing, is that a Black Superman and bringing in Calvin Ellis is as original and ballsy as it gets for the next go around for the Superman franchise. WB is and was insecure at that time.

It's tell all sign of then versus now. MQ explained in his tweet that their pitch was complicated and that the studio was not interested in his original ideas and that they wanted him to "fix their broken ones" so McQuarrie wanted to do something original and intertwine the Superman/GL franchises, so the studio passed. But wasn't this before the success of Joker?

The ironic thing, is that a Black Superman and bringing in Calvin Ellis is as original and ballsy as it gets for the next go around for the Superman franchise. WB is and was insecure at that time.

It was under a part of the old regime, like I believe Johns was still there. I wonder if they’d have been more receptive to it like 6-12 months later.

It was under a part of the old regime, like I believe Johns was still there. I wonder if they’d have been more receptive to it like 6-12 months later.
Yeah, AT&T was in process of buying WB but DOJ tried to block the buyout and dragged them to Court.

Tsujihara was on his way out after collecting his bonus, not a great time to be talking about Sequel to MoS with Green Lantern in it. :funny:

Mc Quarrie later revealed that he gave that pitch just after the release of MI: Fallout, which means after 27th July 2018.

DoJ gave approval to AT&T and Time Warner merger around Feb 2019 (case lasted 14 months)

Christopher McQuarrie pitched both Superman and Green Lantern to Warner Bros.

His Superman pitch (which featured GL) was not a written one but he gave a separate written for GL, i think he wanted WB to green light both movie projects, it was too much to ask at that time when every thing was in flux, people in WB were thinking of layoffs.

Last edited:
Are we still on the McQuarrie thing? Sucks that it didn’t happen, but wasn’t that also all in the middle of them ****ing up Snyder’s whole thing AND trying to get bought out?

It also could’ve just been a pitch they didn’t like. It happens.
Given the WB execs that were there at the time, I doubt this was just a case of it being "just a bad pitch". This was hot off the heels of MI:Fallout being released to box office and critical acclaim, Cavill was highly praised for his performance in the film, and McQuarrie had (and still has) been on a roll as of late. This has WB pettiness written all over it. You don't turn down one of the hottest directors around and 2 stars helming two huge franchises (Cruise would have been GL) like it's nothing. They were (and are) a bunch of idiots.

McQuarrie didn't gave a written presentation, but If I'm correct, his take was unconnected to DCEU, he described that they wanted him to fix "their broken bones", which implies that they wanted him to make his movie within DCEU, which he declined.

In anycase, WB are super wary of another GL movie, which apparently McQuarrie was pushing for.

It was a case of bad timing and wanting to take franchise in a completely new direction (which in itself, is not a bad idea but it's debatable) and asking them to green-light a wrong movie (GL).

Both Superman and GL were going to need big budgets and I can see why they developed cold feet.

BoP was released in early days of Pandemic, people were not exactly rushing to theatres, only few movies got B.O. success (Sonic) that too was limited success, and it was not R rated movie like BoP was.

Many movies bombed (for example Harrison Ford's The Call of The Wild), people were busy buying Toilet papers at that time.

Still, BoP made 2.5 times it's budget, which is equivalent to some early Marvel / MCU movies.

And it did well on streaming, so I guess it was not that big disappointment as some would like to believe.
But...BUT the audience doesn’t like Margot anymore!!!!!

I think Birds of Prey was a boring film with rather terrible humor, and it looked cheap and had mostly bad characters. Its promotion wasnt the best either.

Last edited:
I found Birds of Prey fun, with a good performances, a nice balance of comedy and action, and really good cinematography.

Margot Robbie is an absolute draw and people love her as Harley. With James Gunn already teasing a future Harley Quinn project with Margot, which I think will be Gotham City Sirens, I think that will continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"