Illumination's Super Mario movie

Well, they made a big deal about how we should trust them with their choice and how his Voice would be something else...so when he then sounds just like himself, its no wonder the reactions fall out like they do.
They leaned into the whole thing and it backfired so far.

I dug the trailer. I really wish Chris Pratt had came a little harder with the voice acting, but I suppose it's passable. Plus, Jack Black as King Koopa is what's getting my money. I do like the brief glimpse of Luigi at end. He's always been my favorite of the two.

Also, count me in as someone else who would LOVE a shared Nintendo universe. I get Mario is more popular these days as a character, but if I was building a universe, I'd have went with Donkey Kong first to set up Mario. And I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who remembers StarFox. That game brings back SO many memories!

I dug the trailer and will definitely go check this out when it hits the theater.

Even if it ended up just being Charlie Day screaming his head off for 90 minutes.

FeacAjaVsAAXS_5

charliescreams.gif

I'm angry we didn't get to hear him in the trailer. Everything looks/sounds good except for Chris Pratt. Hope it isn't him just being himself.

charliescreams.gif

I'm angry we didn't get to hear him in the trailer. Everything looks/sounds good except for Chris Pratt. Hope it isn't him just being himself.
Judging by the clip. He tries to do I guess a New York accent but drops it near the end?

People keep saying "it's just Chris Pratt's voice", but he clearly is doing some kind of New York accent, albeit a less exaggerated one. And that might be by design. A heavy Brooklyn accent might have made Mario seem too tough, too much like a wiseguy. And an over the top Italian accent was obviously never going to be in the cards in 2022.

My biggest worry is that the studio seemed maybe a bit reluctant to let us hear Mario, instead having the majority of the trailer focus on Bowser, which makes me wonder if they don't have much confidence in Pratt's take.

Judging by the clip. He tries to do I guess a New York accent but drops it near the end?

I couldn't really tell. Usually it's simple, but if he was it was very gentle, will have to watch again.

My Brooklyn accent only comes out when surrounded by NYers with stronger accents if that's anything to go by :funny:

The irony if everyone else put in the work and Pratt doesn't. :o
That's what I'm expecting lol

Mario had like 2 lines. It’s way too early to say it’s horrible. Way overblown reaction.

Chris Pratt's Mario Voice Backlash: Fans Confused After Trailer Debut - Variety
His line reading of "Mushroom Kingdom, here we come," sounded unenthused and phoned-in to me. Wouldn't really call that an overreaction and if it's a sign of things to come, then yes, it might be an issue. Like I said before, we need to hear more of his dialogue to make a conclusive assessment but people who still aren't sold on his voice have understandable reasons why, and it's not because Pratt isn't imitating Charles Martinet.

Heck, the French dub actor for Mario has more energy in his performance by comparison.

Someone said he sounds like Linda Belcher and I can't unhear it.

First line sounds like normal Chris Pratt. The second line sounds like he's trying to do a Brooklyn accent. I hope it's consistent.

Anyone remember Guardians of the Galaxy, the first movie? Sounds like Bradley Cooper is doing this New York accent most of the time for Rocket, but then at one point, he has this normal line delivery where it's just Rocket sounding like Bradley Cooper?

The more I think about it, the more a New Yorker Mario makes more sense. Mario and Luigi are plumbers, they should sound working class. When they're not bouncing around the Mushroom Kingdom, they're probably snaking drains, and fixing leaky faucets for people. Plus, it contrasts better with the more over the top sounding characters, especially if this is meant to be a fish out of water type movie.

Yeah, if there aren't memes and YouTube Poops of the Mario movie, then something's wrong. The Sonic Movie was already ripe for them even with that first trailer and there are plenty of them, but there will no doubt be many for Mario as well. If there's not one Gay Luigi or Gay Bowser YTP video by the time the movie is out on Blu-Ray, I'll be very disappointed.

The teaser has already produced a pretty good YTP, for Bowser's sake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"