• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

MCU X-Men - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way Bendis did that retcon sucked, but it's out there now and made Bobby their most high-profile LGBT hero. So I definitely think it's something that should be explored. (Though I'd love to get Northstar, him having the honor of being the first, and all)

x-writers have had bobby in limbo forever it seems

the other O5 have all evolved in some ways

jean, obviously
scott, pretty much in parallel with jean and then without her
angel, all the stuff with apocalypse
beast, multiple times, had a whole side gig of being an avenger, even being in the illuminati with the big boys
bobby? he's been stuck as this never-grown up teenage frat boy mode kinda like johnny storm, except the later has had growth, especially under hickman and now zdarsky

majorie liu did an excellent arc about bobby and his ex-girlfriends and coming to terms with his powerboost and it was pretty much ignored by bendis (surprise) so he could have his own "shocking reveal" (which was executed so poorly). i feel like bendis rewatched X2 or something and took singer's allegory for coming out/being a mutant and applied it to bobby since it was bobby in the film that had that scene :whatever:

it sucks because you've had a gay character like northstar who fans do like, and is still pretty much a blank slate and you could do a lot with, and instead we got this

All-New-X-Men-40-2-f872b.jpg

I have to admit that I like the fan theory that Jean used her psychic abilities (accidentally) to gaslight Iceman into believing he's gay. Though I doubt Marvel Comics current writing staff would consider exploring that concept.

Imo, Northstar isn't a good character.

I have to admit that I like the fan theory that Jean used her psychic abilities (accidentally) to gaslight Iceman into believing he's gay. Though I doubt Marvel Comics current writing staff would consider exploring that concept.
This "theory" is pushed by the worst segment of the fandom. They refuse to accept that Bobby is gay while dragging Jean down. The way Bendis wrote the scene sucks, but it's not the only thing written on this subject. Iceman has had a solo since then. It's absolutely bizarre to think Marvel should explore this conspiracy.

Last edited:

i kinda like it too lol, and tbh, it's such a bad way to reveal somebody's sexuality in a comic, it makes jean look really bad.

but i don't think the current writers would do that either, if anything they've double-downed and he's a borderline stereotype gay character now, hooking up with/getting paired with any queer character he comes across (daken, pyro, rictor, etc), it's not even nuanced in any way.

allegedly, hickman could be returning to marvel when uncanny relaunches in november, and i'd trust him over 90% of the current x-staff

northstar isn't "good" because he hasn't had a (good) writer break him out of his standard alpha flight/supporting role. it was nice to see him in fraction's run, but he didn't really do much there either

Northstar has a derivative arrogant personality, derivative powers, and a derivative relationship with his twin sister.
i kinda like it too lol, and tbh, it's such a bad way to reveal somebody's sexuality in a comic, it makes jean look really bad.

but i don't think the current writers would do that either, if anything they've double-downed and he's a borderline stereotype gay character now, hooking up with/getting paired with any queer character he comes across (daken, pyro, rictor, etc), it's not even nuanced in any way.

allegedly, hickman could be returning to marvel when uncanny relaunches in november, and i'd trust him over 90% of the current x-staff
Marvel isnt going to explore that because it would be homophobic. The Hickman thing is a rumour disproven by Bleeding Cool. I trust Sina Grace, an actual gay man writing Iceman, over Hickman.

It would make Jean look really bad. Young Jean anyway. Which is why I go back and forth on thinking it's a good idea or not. Even if you make it accidental she still would be guilty of a serious crime in a sense. A lot of potential, but it could mar her character significantly for a lot of people.

Imo, Northstar isn't a good character.

This "theory" is pushed by the worst segment of the fandom. They refuse to accept that Bobby is gay while dragging Jean down. The way Bendis wrote the scene sucks, but it's not the only thing written on this subject. Iceman has had a solo since then. It's absolutely bizarre to think Marvel should explore this conspiracy.

Or just people who think it's a good concept with a lot of potential.

Or just people who think it's a good concept with a lot of potential.
Potentially homophobic. You think making one of Marvel's few high profile queer characters straight is a good idea? Saying that these past few years of character development is meaningless because he was tricked into being gay? Cmon.

Last edited:
Potentially homophobic. You think making one of Marvel few queer characters straight is a good idea? Saying that these past few years of character development is meaningless because he was tricked into being gay? Cmon.

Let's be fair. You'd likely call it homophobic regardless. I don't share your opinion. That character development could be incorporated into the story (unless Bendis were to write it again lol).

Let's be fair. You'd likely call it homophobic regardless. I don't share your opinion. That character development could be incorporated into the story (unless Bendis were to write it again lol).
Call what homophobic regardless of what? You dont have to share my "opinion" but thankfully Marvel isnt going to do something that stupid and offensive, and this has even less bearing on an MCU film.

Call what homophobic regardless of what? You dont have to share my "opinion" but thankfully Marvel isnt going to do something that stupid and offensive, and this has even less bearing on an MCU film.

Not sure why you're suddenly feigning ignorance of the conversation. I thought it was a fair assessment of what your reaction would be. You even show in this post that you would choose to be offended by it. But like you say it doesn't have a bearing on a MCU X-men so let's just drop it.

Bendis made Bobby gay for pure shock value. If you are going to retcon a character in a major way then there should be a plan behind that with a story to justify it. He had none. He just made him gay in his last issue and left. WTF?!? Marvel didnt even do anything with it until 2 years later when he got that solo but the reveal was handled so sloppily. He didnt do anything with the teen version either as that happened in the 2nd to last issue of ANX

It would make Jean look really bad. Young Jean anyway. Which is why I go back and forth on thinking it's a good idea or not. Even if you make it accidental she still would be guilty of a serious crime in a sense. A lot of potential, but it could mar her character significantly for a lot of people.

Nah its stupid. Why would she make him think he were gay? I dont see what that accomplishes. Character assassinate her that way and for what? Young Iceman being gay doesnt ruin him, but having Jean do that would ruin her. It wouldnt have been a good look especially since she was the young O5 member that Marvel has been trying to push

I dont think it made her look that bad. It was a bad way to reveal someone's sexuality but the intent was good. Alot of gay people suffer from depression, suicidal thoughts and overall have a hard time wrestling with their feelings bc they have no support. Jean wanted to let him know that he had her support and would be there as a friend to help him which ultimately made him more comfortable and less willing to repress himself.. Its not like she was abusing her powers and wanted to out him. She had her telepathy unlocked years before her older self did and didnt have the same level of experience. Bobby's thoughts were screaming and she picked up on it. She could have kept it to herself, but she went to him about it and again offered her support

Last edited:
There will be, of course, reluctance is seeing a gay superhero, especially if is a high-profile character. And a guy. The comicbook fandom is very, very conservative. Very. And that's actually a big reason why there should be high profiles gay characters. Anyway, thankfully Marvel is willing to embrace more diversity.

Hopefully the X-Men franchise can be the first to portray a gay kiss. (We didn't have that yet, did we?)

Bobby is gay now. And unless it's retconed in a future story, that's who he has always been. As a matter of fact, wasn't retconed in his solo run or the ANX- that he was always gay? Just in the closest? I can't remember exactly which one.

Either way, we need more representation for minorities and this is a great opportunity to make a leading, high-profile hero in the MCU identify as a gay male. Too good of a opportunity to pass up.

There will be, of course, reluctance is seeing a gay superhero, especially if is a high-profile character. And a guy. The comicbook fandom is very, very conservative. Very. And that's actually a big reason why there should be high profiles gay characters. Anyway, thankfully Marvel is willing to embrace more diversity.

Hopefully the X-Men franchise can be the first to portray a gay kiss. (We didn't have that yet, did we?)
Which is ironic considering the subject matter of the X-Men franchise and very thing the X-Men are suppose to represent. :loco: Bendis has been getting hate from a lot of "Anti-SJWS" types online for his progressive, inclusive/diverse comics which I love. Can't wait to read his Superman.

Also, yes. :up: Marvel please do this

Bobby is gay now. And unless it's retconed in a future story, that's who he has always been. As a matter of fact, wasn't retconed in his solo run or the ANX- that he was always gay? Just in the closest? I can't remember exactly which one.

Either way, we need more representation for minorities and this is a great opportunity to make a leading, high-profile hero in the MCU identify as a gay male. Too good of a opportunity to pass up.

Bobby came out in Uncanny X-men 600. He didnt feel he could be gay and a mutant so he picked his struggle

100% agreed :up:
What Havok83 said. The last issue of his solo does a good job depicting his repression over the years.

Nah its stupid. Why would she make him think he were gay? I dont see what that accomplishes. Character assassinate her that way and for what? Young Iceman being gay doesnt ruin him, but having Jean do that would ruin her. It wouldnt have been a good look especially since she was the young O5 member that Marvel has been trying to push

I've never really thought deeply about beyond the basic premise, but as I said earlier, in my view, it would be an accident. She wouldn't intentionally do so, but everyone would still have to deal with the consequences. That's my take, but I've not thought on it anymore than that.

Though I do have to wonder if people would have had a similar reaction to the thought of Dark Pheonix before the fact. She still recovered from that storyline.

My only complaint with Whedon is that he has no concept of diversity and it shows in his works. With X-Men you have to give everyone a chance to shine, and that’s what the Russo brothers are really good at. They can handle an ensemble and write a satisfying story to compliment those characters.

I do think he's lost his mojo so he would be a bad choice.

But he was one of the best at making interesting female characters in his day. So "no concept" is not very accurate.

He was able to make interesting female characters in Firefly. And unlike some other "progressive" writers, he was able to do it without making the male characters into bumbling idiots.

firefly%20cast%20364700.jpg

Any ideas who they will cast as Logan? Cause you just know were gonna get standalone wolverine movies along side the xmen team ups.

I'm sick of Logan personally. Fox made most of the franchise revolve around him. Give him a break for a while.

Why is Gay iceman bad?

And conversely, what is so good about it? Too many categories dividing people already and I'm supposed to care about who other people have sex with? Too many people spent far too much time worrying about other people's sex lives as it is. To base the entire worth of a character on who they have sex with makes them a pretty weak character.

"Hi! I'm gay!"

Doesn't sound like a good reason to me. That's a political reason to do it. Artistic motivation should rule in art. A great way to ruin art is to made decisions based on a political agenda.

I think it's correct. We've seen him attracted to women. Jean could be a slash fangirl who saw him express lust for a guy one time and psychically gaslighted him into being 100% gay because she liked it. The giveaway is that he became a huge stereotype who tried to bed any passing character previously established as gay.

Last edited:
I think it's correct. We've seen him attracted to women. Jean could be a slash fangirl who saw him express lust for a guy one time and psychically gaslighted him into being 100% gay because she liked it. The giveaway is that he became a huge stereotype who tried to bed any passing character previously established as gay.

???? Thats simply not true

Doesn't sound like a good reason to me. That's a political reason to do it. Artistic motivation should rule in art. A great way to ruin art is to made decisions based on a political agenda.

And the X-Men franchise has been making political statements since the 60s during the Civil Rights marches. Doing it because of diversity is perfectly in line with the message of the series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"