• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marvel Films MCU X-Men - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm sure Feige's got contingencies wrapped in contingencies. It's like that scene in Red October when Jack Ryan realizes that the Russian captain must already have a plan to defect, they just have to figure out what it is.

Feige is not paid the big bucks to come up with the "simplest explanation," and that includes how to incorporate the X-men and the Fantastic Four.

He also doesn't get paid to over-complicate things either.

Feige is not paid the big bucks to come up with the "simplest explanation," and that includes how to incorporate the X-men and the Fantastic Four.

To paraphrase something on the news recently: I'm trust Feige has "some things [he's] got in the back pocket to pull out" for how to do the Mutants and the First Family in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Feige isn't paid to create over-convoluted explanations for movies aimed at general audiences either. You will accept what he will do sooner or later. Don't act differently.

Here's something I want fans to give their opinion on... What do you want to be done with Jean Grey as a character? I mean, if a Phoenix story is MUCH further down the road for a variety of reasons... What else should be done on screen with her? I admit a bias... I have zero love for this character and don't think she's ever been much of anything even all the years I read the comics. The one well that KEEPS being gone to is the Phoenix Force. Other than that we get her "relationship" with Scott or some other male figure in the cast of characters but... What does Jean got going on separate from being either:

1. A beyond Omega powered mutant that keeps dying.

2. The object of lust for Logan/Prof. X/Alex Summers or the woman Scott is in love with or pines for because she's caught a case of the "deads".

3. Ill defined mother/son vagueness with her and Cable.

So much of that is based on the HISTORY (often repeat history) of the character. Well... And MCU Jean isn't going to get to Phoenix right away so starting out there's a whole bunch of angst and melodrama that gets crossed off the list. Love triangle? AGAIN? What I'm getting at is they may have to figuratively re-build Jean from the ground up for the audience. I'm not saying they won't get to the point of a Jean weighted down by the tragedy of the Phoenix story but she's got to be a compelling and interesting and engaging character BEFORE all that so I ask again... What can be done with Jean in the MCU as a character? What is there actually to draw from in her decades of existence in the comics that is usable starting off in the new X-Men films. I'd be fascinated to learn the thoughts on this.

Jean is alive, isn't the Phoenix, and isn't part of a love triangle right now in the comics and it's wonderful.

Jean is Xavier's first student and the most senior X-woman. She's hugely passionate and empathetic, combined with a great amount of power and a righteous fury. Jean brings teams together and keeps them together because everyone cares about her and she cares about them.

She is consistently a spokesperson for mutant rights. In Morrison's run, Jean ran the press conference that initiated relations between humans and the mutant school, fiercely defended the students, and organized the international X-Corps. Today, she's a visionary bringing her plans to the U.N. Jean, more than anyone, has trained and prepared for a type of visionary diplomatic leadership, able to best articulate why the X-men exist.

You don't need the Phoenix, Cyclops, or Wolverine to have Jean shine. She's a character with an infinite amount of potential in terms of what she can achieve with her life, but has a power inside that can help or ruin everything (sometimes this power is the Phoenix but it can also be her telepathic/telekinetic surges). Losing Jean should shake the X-men to their core, but she does not have to die (and I especially don't see Marvel shaking the X-men's core for a long time, thankfully).

The Phoenix is a visually exciting and iconic way of highlighting aspects of Jean's character but it is not essential for her character development.

As a model X-figure, Jean can foil with other characters. Kitty's inexperience contrasts with Jean's seniority. Emma's sense of telepathic morality and propriety contrasts with Jean's ethics. Cyclops' impersonal leadership style contrasts with the emotional bonds Jean forms. Iceman's sense of humor contrasts with how seriously Jean takes the X-men. She's a foundational pillar.

Last edited:
Jean is alive, isn't the Phoenix, and isn't part of a love triangle right now in the comics and it's wonderful.

Jean is Xavier's first student and the most senior X-woman. She's hugely passionate and empathetic, combined with a great amount of power and a righteous fury. Jean brings teams together and keeps them together because everyone cares about her and she cares about them.

She is consistently a spokesperson for mutant rights. In Morrison's run, Jean ran the press conference that initiated relations between humans and the mutant school, fiercely defended the students, and organized the international X-Corps. Today, she's a visionary bringing her plans to the U.N. Jean, more than anyone, has trained and prepared for a type of visionary diplomatic leadership, able to best articulate why the X-men exist.

You don't need the Phoenix, Cyclops, or Wolverine to have Jean shine. She's a character with an infinite amount of potential in terms of what she can achieve with her life, but has a power inside that can help or ruin everything (sometimes this power is the Phoenix but it can also be her telepathic/telekinetic surges). Losing Jean should shake the X-men to their core, but she does not have to die (and I especially don't see Marvel shaking the X-men's core for a long time, thankfully).

The Phoenix is a visually exciting and iconic way of highlighting aspects of Jean's character but it is not essential for her character development.

As a model X-figure, Jean can foil with other characters. Kitty's inexperience contrasts with Jean's seniority. Emma's sense of telepathic morality and propriety contrasts with Jean's ethics. Cyclops' impersonal leadership style contrasts with the emotional bonds Jean forms. Iceman's sense of humor contrasts with how seriously Jean takes the X-men. She's a foundational pillar.
Well said. This very much reflects my thoughts.

I would welcome seeing Jean without the Phoenix in the films and as you say she is kicking ass right now without it or Cyke or Wolverine. I want her around as part of the core of long term MCU X-Men films without a death sentence hanging over her from day 1.

And Wolverine for eg would be a top character even if he had never had a link with adamantium despite how synonymous he is with it and how much more powerful it makes him.

She currently leads the X-men in the books and Marvel is giving her a major push. I wish that would translate to the films with her being more proactive and central and not simply reduced to a weak love interest or plot point like Fox did. She's my favorite character and I want them to do right by her. Its a shame so many people have such a one dimensional view of her when she is so much more

Last edited:
I hope Marvel knows that Jean fans will raise hell if she gets reduced to being a love interest.

None of us here are pros (at least not that I know of). That's Feige's job to figure out how to intro the X-men and F4.

Yea it's a message/discussion board and we're here to discuss how we think it'll be done but for any poster to act like he has all the answers and anyone who disagrees is obviously wrong, is kinda funny. Whenever you throw a kink in Marvel United's theories about how Feige will do the X-men, he's always got a come back as if his is the only answer.

Last edited:
Isn't the Dark Phoenix News and Speculation thread a better place for pointless drama and bickering? :whatever:

Preach. That's how I want to see Jean. Not only as a core member, in a sense of being very, very important to the team, but also as the heart. As a character very empathetic and sympathetic that the other characters share a bond and care about.

Also, I have said that I don't like the idea of the MCU X-Men being teenagers again, and I've seen Harry Potter mentioned as an inspiration. Even though I don't like this idea, I do envision Jean as the "Hermione" of the group. Here's how Emma Watson described the character: "Her empathy, her sense of integrity, her decency and resolute belief in fighting for justice and fairness — even when her earnestness made her an easy target for ridicule — they're all unwavering".

I do want to see Jean having a role as big as the one Hermione had in the Harry Potter franchise. I do want to see her relationship with Scott established unlike we have seen in the movies so far. But I also want to see Jean, alongside with Scott and Ororo, as a fundamental member.

Even though Jean had her thing for Logan in X2 and also had the Phoenix going on, she also had roles to play: recruiting Kurt, saving Logan and the kids from the police, planning and being a part of the rescue of Charles, etc. You know, Jean being an active member on the team is something I'll be very satisfied with.

Yep, just hope Jean is built up as a pillar of this new X-Men team for the long term. I can see other characters coming in and out and appearing in other films but hopefully Jean is an ever-present.

zrUe6bI.png

These panels showcasing Jean defending Nightcrawler from someone calling him a monster speaks to why Jean is so great. The articulation of her convictions is fuelled by a burning passion that can get too intense.

I just want Jean and Storm to be BFFs and I want to hear her call her ‘Ro like she does in the comics.

1789791-storm_jean_grey.jpg

zrUe6bI.png

These panels showcasing Jean defending Nightcrawler from someone calling him a monster speaks to why Jean is so great. The articulation of her convictions is fuelled by a burning passion that can get too intense.

She was the heart of the team for a reason. She is very empathetic and had close relationships with most, something that wasnt really conveyed before

SaWVhdb.jpg

This was another great panel and highlights her diplomacy

Ve1iL8Z.jpg

It’s important for Jean to be all those things because that what she is. She is an Omega level mutant, she is the heart of the X-Men, she is a diplomat and a representative of Charles Xavier’s dream. It is important to get her right.

As far as the Phoenix stuff goes, that should be a gradual thing. Every X-Movie she gradually becomes stronger and stronger until the Phoenix Force hears her cry.

If they handled it like in the 90s cartoon it would be sufficient.

zrUe6bI.png

:up:

Thanks for taking the time to think about my question.

I can tell however that the art work from the issues posted indicate a rather recent vintage of X-Men stories. Which is good. I have been out of comics since 2008 for a variety of reasons, biggest being cost. As a teen I had a job at a comic book store and my interest in practically all the big mainstream DC and Marvel titles meant that as I got older it cost way more to keep up with practically everything. So to me it looks like even Marvel Comics in the last ten years realized that Jean needed a lot more meat on her bones and something to do other than be a perennial sacrificial lamb with a connection to some vast cosmic force. If recent work with the character can be adapted in the MCU that indeed goes to a more interesting and less boilerplate characterization that "she's a caring nurturer" (whatever that means beyond "she's a nice person to others") then I'm all for it. What ever one can say about the Singer/Fox films, Jean being an interesting and compelling character would not be something that comes to mind about them. If the MCU can give her character an appeal beyond the looks of the actress I'm all for it and hope they give her a central importance.

I have very high hopes for Jean, but I guess I have sky-high hopes for about a dozen high profile X-Men. The stakes on this first MCU X-film are going to be higher for me than for any other MCU film to date (maybe IW was in the same ballpark). If it's good I will be seriously supporting it with as many rewatches as possible.

After seeing Olivia Cooke in Ready Player One last week, I feel more than before that she'd make a solid Jean. She had a flare of personality to me that'd I'd like to see in Jean.
22cd6e12fcec72529505b6f8e0e4bc72--redhead-hairstyles-olivia-cooke-hair.jpg

With so many mutants there's a good chance a lot of favorites are going to be left out or not receive much in the way of screentime.

I have very high hopes for Jean, but I guess I have sky-high hopes for about a dozen high profile X-Men. The stakes on this first MCU X-film are going to be higher for me than for any other MCU film to date (maybe IW was in the same ballpark). If it's good I will be seriously supporting it with as many rewatches as possible.

You are putting uneccessary preasure on the movie. There is no way Marvel will get eveey X-man right from the first movie. Its not possible.

Fox has wasted soany characters that if we get 5-6 good X-men from the get go it will ve alreasy better than wjat Fox did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"