Marvel Films MCU X-Men - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be happy with the inevitable invocations of TAS, but I'm also hoping for a new iteration that goes more into the classic comics (particularly the Claremont years) than TAS or the previous movies ever did.

And if the mutants were Peter Parker'd to eXplain their absence in phase 1 to 4. Who says the audience can't aXcept it as well?
I'll be happy with the inevitable invocations of TAS, but I'm also hoping for a new iteration that goes more into the classic comics (particularly the Claremont years) than TAS or the previous movies ever did.
I think every X-Men film from film to film would take inspiration from different eras

X-Men 1 could be 90s/Tas inspired and X-Men 2 could be the leather costumed X-Men era.

The comics handled this idea deftly. There was always a certain shame associated with mutation, so the ones who could hide their mutations, did.

When Xavier started recruiting and mobilizing mutants, it created the 'appearance' that they came out of nowhere. But the truth is, they were always there, just not as visible as they became when The X-Men were formed.
To be fair this even plays into the marginalized group metaphor if you want it to. Especially with LGBT+ people but also with neurodivergent people there's this idea sometimes that "back in the day nobody was like that, but nowadays the kids in school are suddenly all gay/trans/autistic/dyslexic/whatever, there must be something that's causing them to become like that.", when really it's just that either they just feel safer to come out or be open about it now, they have the terminology now that wasn't there back in the day, or there's just more testing and better diagnostics in case of neurodivergence. So someone who was a mutant back in the day might have hidden their nature as such out of shame or fear, might not have known what a mutant is, or the effects of it might've been misdiagnosed as something else.

To be fair this even plays into the marginalized group metaphor if you want it to. Especially with LGBT+ people but also with neurodivergent people there's this idea sometimes that "back in the day nobody was like that, but nowadays the kids in school are suddenly all gay/trans/autistic/dyslexic/whatever, there must be something that's causing them to become like that.", when really it's just that either they just feel safer to come out or be open about it now, they have the terminology now that wasn't there back in the day, or there's just more testing and better diagnostics in case of neurodivergence. So someone who was a mutant back in the day might have hidden their nature as such out of shame or fear, might not have known what a mutant is, or the effects of it might've been misdiagnosed as something else.
well-there-it-is.gif

Oh god, just had a nightmare vision.

Mutants are called Children of the Atom because they were created in the Atomic Age, and one of the big thing the early comics pushed was that the rise of nuclear technology is what lead to the rapid growth of the mutant population.

The nightmare: Children of the ARC Reactor.

And if the mutants were Peter Parker'd to eXplain their absence in phase 1 to 4. Who says the audience can't aXcept it as well?

You're the one who keeps framing this discussion as 'audiences couldn't accept x'. We're talking about what the best, least awkward story possibilities are. Doesn't mean audiences couldn't potentially accept an idea that isn't as good as it should have been.

Of course, the Star Wars Special Editions don't speak very well to the idea of audiences accepting major changes to classic movie scenes that they already love, either. I'd say there's at the very least a strong possibility that inserting the X-Men into the Infinity Saga after the fact could be viewed by a lot of people as kind of insulting to what those movies achieved using just the characters they had.

And honestly, as a big X-Men fan, I find this obsession that the X-Men *must* have been a part of the story from phase 1 or it doesn't count to be kind of insulting to the X-Men. As if their characters and storylines aren't good enough to be successful on their own regardless of when they take place without having to directly tie them into the Infinity Saga to 'legitimize' them and show that they're 'equal' to the Avengers.

Last edited:
Oh yes that would be fun. Even if they did it over the credits, that would put a smile on my face

Oh yes that would be fun. Even if they did it over the credits, that would put a smile on my face
What would be eXtra interesting, if Marvel Studios mimicked it eXactly, yet there are mutants that are in it like Iceman, Psylock, olossus and Angel who weren't in the 90s intro getting their solo shots and logos.

I also think the 90s theme would be THE theme for the X-Men in all of the movies they appear in. Its just too iconic for them to create a new theme.

Mimicking the intro sounds like something Zac Snyder would do.

I think hearing the theme at some point as a homage would be enough for me.

This is the way. There doesn't even need to be a hardlined "explanation" for it. There could theories, hypotheses, in-universe, but nobody truly knows where mutants came from, how, or why suddenly there's so many. It's true to the themes of this franchise, and it helps set the eerie mood necessary for mutants-- Nobody knowing WHY.

Mutants simply are, and they've always been with us.
The "always been with us" part is a huge deal for why I don't want any BS to try and "justify" their introduction that takes away from the deep history and lore that we've never really got to explore before. I want to see an X-franchise that traces back through history with crazy Lovecraft/Da Vinci Code vibes. You lose that with any of these pointless changes.

They could be in hiding, wipe out in the public's memories due to some eXplosive accident, just like our friendly neighborhood.

I'm just having a hard time aXcepting mutants like Magneto, Sinister, Apocalypse, the Professor, the Wolverine, Selene are just part of a new blooming specie. They have must have had mutants the day Steve Rogers got his superpowers, and even when the Eternals arrived at Earth.

See, those are two different things. You can have mutants being around, as one flavor among many of possible superhumans, while mutants being a *demographic* is the new thing. What changed isn't that mutants now exist, what changed is that now the rate of mutant birth and manifestation is orders of magnitude higher than before ( even if the vast majority are probably low level and not that important individually, ahem ).

I honestly would rather the TAS theme only be referenced and homaged, the way the Spider-man cartoon theme has been.

Don't get me wrong, it is nostalgic and fun and certainly iconic in a way, but it's not a great X-Men theme. It's a great Saturday Morning Cartoon theme which just coincidentally happened to belong to an X-Men show. Realistically it doesn't have a single thing to say about the X-Men other than 'ACTION!', 'DRAMA!', 'EXCITEMENT!', etc. I'd be as tickled to hear it pop up now and then as anyone else, but I really would hope it would at least be paired with some new music that actually has a bit more interesting substance to it and genuinely feels thematically tied to the X-men specifically, rather than something that could belong to any random action series.

Ya the TAS theme is a cute little Saturday Morning jingle and it would hit the nostalgia sweet spot to hear it being referenced in an X-Men movie.

Having said that, an X-Men film needs an epic score, something substantive and empathetic to the story being told onscreen. TAS theme, even if updated, would still sound like something you'd hear in a SyFy original. We need more appropriate music for the film :yay:

Mimicking the intro sounds like something Zac Snyder would do.

I think hearing the theme at some point as a homage would be enough for me.
Its for the crediX though.

No one takes it seriously whatever is presented there. Marvel Studios always have a flashy credits scene.

Avengers were sculpted in stones for eXample.

I've always liked the fun visuals Marvel uses over the credits, but the music that plays over the credits should *never* be completely divorced from the music that plays in the movie itself, imo. You can't just cut the mood off like that. It has to feel like a continuation of what the audience has already experienced.

What should be the a first main event they cover? Like after they’ve introduced the xmen back in? I think mutant massacre would really get people talking

This is such a random question, but how do you pronounce this:

08DD9635-98A2-4971-8209-E0DABB2236FC.jpeg

Phonetically to me, it’s the M-KRAHN Crystal lol.

I’m Australian so that might warp the results because of the accent but for me it mmm kran (rhymes with ran). But I have heard it pronounced muh krun (rhymes with run)

Came across this video. It goes over some of the stuff that's often discussed in this thread with some suggestions. Some here might find it interesting or use it as a springboard for more discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"