Marvel Films MCU X-Men - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's given up acting , but I like China Anne McClain for a younger Rogue.

Descendants-3-China-Anne-McClain-Jacket-2.jpg

If they want a Caucasian actress, than I would look at Peyton List of Cobra Kai
5y1ioci663q71.jpg

No to anyone black playing Rogue. I do not want yet another "sassy/standoffish/"strong" black woman" stereotype onscreen, thanks. I would rather see Keke Palmer play a character that wouldn't be a black stereotype, like a Jean Grey or Emma Frost.

Also no to Gambit being black for similar reasons. Would much rather see a black Cyclops.

I hear ya on Rogue, "Sassy Badass" women in general is a tired trope at this point, but even worse for black women.. I don't know if Suave Cajun/Creole Black man is much of a stereotype, though, but the thief thing could be a bit problematic

Cyclops, I liked the suggestion of having him be Inuit since he's from Alaska

I'm open to whatever casting Feige and Co decide to go with in terms of with.

At the end of the day, it's not gonna be our call, and we aren't casting this thing.
We won't all agree on casting in general , let alone if a character is race bent.

But , I'm open to whatever route Feige and Co decide to go on in terms of casting.
They're gonna nail it no matter what.

No to anyone black playing Rogue. I do not want yet another "sassy/standoffish/"strong" black woman" stereotype onscreen, thanks. I would rather see Keke Palmer play a character that wouldn't be a black stereotype, like a Jean Grey or Emma Frost.

Also no to Gambit being black for similar reasons. Would much rather see a black Cyclops.

Respectfully disagree sis. Even if you have a black Jean Grey or Emma Frost then you run the risk of the 'strong black woman/iron lady' stereotype, especially with Frost. But Rogue and Gambit have way too much flavor and personality to be played by someone who can't bring it.

Besides, we can't have Black Panther and Storm anymore since Boseman is no longer with us. Rogue and Gambit can be the black CBM super couple I crave lol.

I hear ya on Rogue, "Sassy Badass" women in general is a tired trope at this point, but even worse for black women.. I don't know if Suave Cajun/Creole Black man is much of a stereotype, though, but the thief thing could be a bit problematic

Cyclops, I liked the suggestion of having him be Inuit since he's from Alaska
With Gambit, I was definitely thinking of the thief/criminal family angle as problematic. And it is such an important part of what makes him different from the other X-Men that you can't leave it out.

Also, the whole "sexy hotshot who has swagger" thing is a total stereotype about black men. In fact, black people being sexualized is a huge part of the white supremacist narrative. Anyone remember this?

The Exaggerated Swagger of a Black Teen | Know Your Meme

I forgot Cyclops was from Alaska. I actually really like that idea.

What about Robert Sheehan?
I know he's currently playing a supe over on Umbrella (which was ironically inspired by X-men)
But he's charming AF on that show, and a lot of ladies seem to really dig his androgynous hippy vibe, and visually he looks just how I'd picture gambit IRL, in good shape but lanky with a fairly gaunt face

Scott being Inuit/Alaskan Native is such a natural "update" of the character, that I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T go that route.

It's so obvious.

Respectfully disagree sis. Even if you have a black Jean Grey or Emma Frost then you run the risk of the 'strong black woman/iron lady' stereotype, especially with Frost. But Rogue and Gambit have way too much flavor and personality to be played by someone who can't bring it.

Besides, we can't have Black Panther and Storm anymore since Boseman is no longer with us. Rogue and Gambit can be the black CBM super couple I crave lol.
I hear you. But I definitely think that depends on the characterization they go with. Jean has been written as the stern, "straight man" of the group before, but she's also been written as the empath (which is how Claremont wrote her), sarcastic and cynical (the Ultimates), scared and afraid (TAS lol) etc. So there's definitely a lot of wiggle room for her.

Plus I just feel it's just kinda likely that they'll go w a black actress :funny:

Last edited:
I believe the X-Men should absolutely be more diverse this time. And I'm glad to see that people are also socially aware about it when it comes to stereotypes, and Marvel should be too.

I can say that Zazie Beetz was someone I would've loved as Rogue. But I hear the concerns about a possible black Rogue.

Now, I'm not black so I won't talk about Rogue being black. But I can bring it a little more to my community, even tho I'm not a woman. Rogue being latina is also something that people bring up here and there, and it would also kind of fit into some latina stereotypes we see there.

And I can say that the idea of a latina Rogue gives me ambivalent feelings. On one hand, it could be stereotypically bad, but on the other hand, there's a blantant lack of latinx characters in the X-Men franchise, and seeing a latinx as one of the big names sounds super exciting to me (I guess representation matters after all?).

But I feel like, if there is an actual meaningful representation there for latinx and latinx women. If there was a myriad of latin characters, each with their own story and personality (think OITNB), I wouldn't mind Rogue being just another facet.

Also, when I think about Rogue, that sassy part is just an aspect of her personality. Maybe I'm wrong saying this, but maybe is a trait she has that has been so popularized by the TAS, where she's a more "one note" character compared to the comics. Because usually when I think of her, I think more about her traumas, since her boyfriend, to Carol's incident; her drama of not being able to touch anyone; her family drama with her mummys, longing for belonging, her journey in the X-Men... anyway. If they can capture her complexities, I wouldn't mind it. But if they treated her like Gloria from Modern Family, then it's a problem.

Scott being Inuit/Alaskan Native is such a natural "update" of the character, that I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T go that route.

It's so obvious.

I hear you. But I definitely think that depends on the characterization they go with. Jean has been written as the stern, "straight man" of the group before, but she's also been written as the empath (which is how Claremont wrote her), sarcastic and cynical (the Ultimates), scared and afraid (TAS lol) etc. So there's definitely a lot of wiggle room for her.

Plus I just feel it's just kinda likely that they'll go w a black actress :funny:

Yeah you called it. They really might go with a black actress for MCU Jean.

Still can’t believe they gave homegirl red locs in that Wolverine podcast you posted the other day. We really gonna have a Dark Phoenix this time LOL.

Well that's thing.

These characters have been around for decades , and different writers will interprete them different ways at different times.

So , it's gonna come down to how the given character is written in the film, even if the character isn't race bent.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle Scott and Jean .

I hope we don’t get a Jean that’s just Mrs Scott summers or Mrs wolverine though. Jean and Emma should be the two big contrasting ideologies of the new franchise. Peaceful coexistence with liberal compassion meets cruel free market economics

Gambit made me gay. :argh:

it’s funny how all gays have this origin story. There’s at least one X-character that meets you gay. It’s like getting discovered by cerebro

I hope we don’t get a Jean that’s just Mrs Scott summers or Mrs wolverine though. Jean and Emma should be the two big contrasting ideologies of the new franchise. Peaceful coexistence with liberal compassion meets cruel free market economics
Absolutely not Mrs Wolverine! Not even Ms Wolverine lol. I want Jean to be a strong, independent figure eventually leading a “Red” team, while also maintaining a strong relationship with Cyclops (and hopefully a marriage down the line). If there ever were a X-Men Red film Cyclops could just have a few cameo scenes so she can be the main focus and leadership character in that film.

Cyclops don't deserve Jean (nor does wolverine), Emma's much more his speed

Or establish them as an open relationship.

Which, yeah, I know Disney won't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"