Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Ming-Na Wen IS Agent Melinda May

If anyone is acting offended that a member of an elite terrorist/crime fighting force knows some type of martial arts...then they are either naive, know nothing of the world, or are just looking for something to complain about.

The fact that she is Asian has nothing to do with her character knowing martial arts. She is playing an elite military/policewoman type character. If her character did not know some martial arts I would then be calling BS to the way her character was written.

hear hear, I hate the "oh your stereotyping" her race. I personally don't think it's that either.
To ME if you're IN SHIELD you're a TRAINED AGENT even if you're behind a desk

Last edited:
hear hear, I hate the "oh your stereotyping" her race. I personally don't think it's that either.
To ME if you're IN SHIELD you're a TRAINED AGENT even if you're behind a desk

I'd say the only place it would've looked odd would've been in ER. As a SHIELD agent probably all of them should have some kind of training (even Fitz Simmons).

Last edited by a moderator:
IDAVrWk.jpg

Yeah. Anyone remember this song Maurissa sang on the Dr. Horrible commentary? It's called "Nobody's Asian in the Movies". It's pretty funny and seemed relevant.
[YT]MNmzegQUtFA[/YT]

This and Ninja Ropes are my favorites from Commentary the Musical.:woot: I love Maurissa and Jed's music so much that I bought their EP on iTunes. Its awesome!

Also as far as the martial arts thing...well, when they found out she already did it they probably decided to add it into her character. Actors' real life talents usually get incorporated into the show eventually.

https://twitter.com/MingNa/status/336580046703697923/photo/1

It's like STARGATE ATLANTIS....I recently watched all of the seasons, and watched a lot of them with the commentary. In one episode, a female technician that usually just did mundane duties with a line or two, got a big action scene where she got to kickfight some bad guys. In the commentary, the director says how they had used her in the background a dozen episodes or so...then she happened to mention that she had a black belt in some martial art...so they wrote in a scene where she got to use it. Stuff like this happens.

There are always a lot of Asians in my Martial Arts class... I guess they are stereotyping...themselves....

There are always a lot of Asians in my Martial Arts class... I guess they are stereotyping...themselves....

Yes, the same way the Asian writer/producer is stereotyping an Asian character on the show.

tumblr_m944r8aFkV1qeeqito4_250_zps40ef4447.gif

She can push this 50 year old around any time lol

How come all the admins and moderators on the Hype seem to be 50+ years old?

lol because we've been around that long lol

There's really only 4 of us in our 50's.

It's like STARGATE ATLANTIS....I recently watched all of the seasons, and watched a lot of them with the commentary. In one episode, a female technician that usually just did mundane duties with a line or two, got a big action scene where she got to kickfight some bad guys. In the commentary, the director says how they had used her in the background a dozen episodes or so...then she happened to mention that she had a black belt in some martial art...so they wrote in a scene where she got to use it. Stuff like this happens.
Yeah I can see that. With a hint of X-Files lol

so I wonder will she get any romance action.. better yet, some swimsuit scenes..

I liked how in the original press release they actually seemed to have given her character a superhero codename a la "Black Widow" or "Hawkeye". I assume that's what "The Cavalry" was for her anyway. I hope it still makes it into the show.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Character Profile: Agent Melinda May

[YT]kQsRW4gtt0E[/YT]

ZOMG she's 50, HOW CAN THIS BEEEEEEE?!

Sorry, just thought I'd save someone else the trouble. :o

*shrugs* it's a thing, considering she looks mid 30's. I was surprised when I first learned it too. I don't see the point in making a big production out of it.

If anyone is acting offended that a member of an elite terrorist/crime fighting force knows some type of martial arts...then they are either naive, know nothing of the world, or are just looking for something to complain about.

The fact that she is Asian has nothing to do with her character knowing martial arts. She is playing an elite military/policewoman type character. If her character did not know some martial arts I would then be calling BS to the way her character was written.

Lol, yeah, it's not stereotyping because she knows martial arts, because I'm sure they ALL do at Shield.

However, I call shenanigans if she uses shurikens instead of a sidearm. :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"