NATALIE PORTMAN is Thor!

I just got my mind blown on Twitter.
Someone wondered, what if Jane Foster broke up with Thor because she knew she had cancer and didn’t want Thor to suffer.

And now I add my 2 cents. What if the cancer is indeed because of her being possessed by the Aether...

One small problem with this is that we know Thor and Jane were still together during the events of AoU (2015), so her cancer must have developed very slowly for Thor to not notice it and for Jane to wait several years until she considered it serious enough to warrant breaking up with him.

Jane living with cancer for 10 years (from 2013 to 2023) would definitely be plausible, though, especially if she got dusted.

As a side note, I found it weird how Thor didn't mention Jane's fate in the Snap during his tearful speech about her and the Aether in EG. I suspect that Jane got dusted and that this only further compounded his sense of misery and failure.

What if Jane Foster got lung cancer from all the dust testing from the snap, if she survived? Maybe she accidentally inhaled some particles in the course of her research work to try to identify the victims.

That can’t be right. I have heard it from a good authority that dust is good for you and is actually very low in fat

(10 points if you get the reference)

m6aPxus.jpg

I'm still curious how they do this. Hope it's not alternate reality stuff.

I'm still curious how they do this. Hope it's not alternate reality stuff.
Why would it be an alternate reality at all? I don't think anything requires that, not even the reforging of Mjolnir.

Why would it be an alternate reality at all? I don't think anything requires that, not even the reforging of Mjolnir.

Cap put Mjolnir back. Odin is dead. Even if they re-forge, Mjolnir who puts the enchantment on it to have it convey powers to the wielder? Remember even if they re-forge it, powers don't get conveyed to someone until the enchantment is put on it. Alternate reality means all bets are off.

However its more a question of how does she even get the powers.

Cap put Mjolnir back. Odin is dead. Even if they re-forge, Mjolnir who puts the enchantment on it to have it convey powers to the wielder? Remember even if they re-forge it, powers don't get conveyed to someone until the enchantment is put on it. Alternate reality means all bets are off.

However its more a question of how does she even get the powers.

If it gets reforged who is to say the enchantment isn't still there? Reforging it and just implying it's still got the enchantment is the simplest way to go about it and a fairly easy reasoning could be done a number of ways.

It could even be done as a thread throughout the phase in post credit scenes. All you need do is take from the well of reasonable candidates that could do so from the comics or characters already in the MCU that are there already to do it.

Btw Jane Foster has become a Valkyrie in the comics.

valkyrie-2-cover.jpg

I love Bullseye but... If you got Asgardian level strength and durability which I assume a Valkyrie would have, then... Is that really a fight?

I love Bullseye but... If you got Asgardian level strength and durability which I assume a Valkyrie would have, then... Is that really a fight?
Not really... But i haven't been following this particular comic so i'm not aware of what's going on.

What i like is that they brought back the valkyrie's sense "deathglow". Which is something that allows the Valkyrie to see when someone is close to dying. It's quite an interesting thing to have and if used well it could really make an impact in Thor's history in the MCU.

Last edited:

Bullseye has Dragonfang though
She should still stomp him, but not so one-sided

The more i think about Jane Foster Thor the more i feel like they make something special out of Thor 4.
Thor has lost everything and has gone through so much ****. Imagine the happiness he's gonna feel when he discovers that Jane Foster is back into his life, that flame is still very much alive by the looks of AEG... I think he would finally catch a brake and have something really good happen to him when he manages to reconnect with Jane Foster.

Having said that, they could give Thor that ray of hope and moment of happiness for a while until they pull the rug under the character once again with the whole cancer angle with JFT. That would be another level of tragedy to affect the character... That could either affect Thor positively, maybe by giving an underlining with someone always being Thor no matter the circumstances... or it could affect Thor negatively and he basically disappears into the cosmos delving into warrior madness territory maybe being explored on a future installment.

I just got my mind blown on Twitter.
Someone wondered, what if Jane Foster broke up with Thor because she knew she had cancer and didn’t want Thor to suffer.

And now I add my 2 cents. What if the cancer is indeed because of her being possessed by the Aether...

I like both these ideas.

I still think back to the ending of Thor 1. "She searches for you." Then they suddenly break up off-screen a couple movies later. Definitely a lot of room for a more satisfying resolution there.

What she meant to say was “I was done with these films which is why I wasnt in the 3rd but then they cut me a massive check”

What she meant to say was “I was done with these films which is why I wasnt in the 3rd but then they cut me a massive check”

Why assume that greed is the motivating factor here? It's not like she needs the money, and in any case, its not like they didn't pay her well for the first two Thor movies.

Portman earned 13 million dollars in 2013, and I'm willing to bet that 90% of that came from TDW:

2013 Top Earning Actresses: Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Lawrence Top The List – /Film

The reason she wasn't in Ragnarok wasn't because she refused to come back or whatever; it was because the writers and director didn't see any need for her to be in it. If they'd asked for Natalie to come back for Ragnarok, I'm fairly sure that she would have given that Feige has explicitly stated that she always stayed in contact with Marvel and that they didn't part on acrimonious terms.

Why assume that greed is the motivating factor here? It's not like she needs the money, and in any case, its not like they didn't pay her well for the first two Thor movies.

Portman earned 13 million dollars in 2013, and I'm willing to bet that 90% of that came from TDW:

2013 Top Earning Actresses: Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Lawrence Top The List – /Film

The reason she wasn't in Ragnarok wasn't because she refused to come back or whatever; it was because the writers and director didn't see any need for her to be in it. If they'd asked for Natalie to come back for Ragnarok, I'm fairly sure that she would have given that Feige has explicitly stated that she always stayed in contact with Marvel and that they didn't part on acrimonious terms.

'Thor' actress Natalie Portman: 'I'm done' making Marvel movies

2016 this was posted. I think I'll stay with my original assumption

I fully get why she would have been annoyed. I would be too if I just won an Oscar and when I turned up to work they said I hate to faint a lot and wait for some big blonde muscly man to rescue me.

But obviously they’re doing something new with Jane which must have intrigued her enough to come back. It’s not like Natalie is having trouble paying her bills after all

Interesting that she isn't sure about whether she'll have to work out for it.

Also, she just looks divine here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"